Classical strings

What's Hot
I have been playing a lot more classical guitar of late.

I always used to go for daddario pro arte. They were ok but always seemed to take an age to settle.

A bit annoyed with them I tried some Augustine classic blue high tension.
Straight off the bat the hold tune so much better and sound decent.

Does anyone have any additional recommendations for my next restring?
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    I tend to use Augustine high tension, but recently went back to normal tension that I okayed 35 years ago. Quite a revelation at how easy to play
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited January 2021
    Classical has taken a bit of a back seat for me. However, I have tried various sets over the years, and my favourites are Hannabach medium tension and Savarez Corum Series, high tension. Pro Arte's were a bit meh for me, but the polished versions were excellent. FWIW I'll be going for Savarez when I start playing again – they really made my guitar sing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    Pro arte are posably the most popular string  and the most faked, you need to be carful buying  them online. It  has been one of the noted fallings of Daddario   strings, by the time they settle  down , they start to    decline tone wise . I like bright tones and use La Bella 820 . They are described  as  flamenco strings, and they are red . But if you you don't actuly play flamenco , that is not a reason not to use them.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    more said:
    Pro arte are posably the most popular string  and the most faked, you need to be carful buying  them online. It  has been one of the noted fallings of Daddario   strings, by the time they settle  down , they start to    decline tone wise . I like bright tones and use La Bella 820 . They are described  as  flamenco strings, and they are red . But if you you don't actuly play flamenco , that is not a reason not to use them.
    Yes, agree, flamenco strings can be very nice
  • eoinzyeoinzy Frets: 128
    edited July 2022
    -
  • m0rtm0rt Frets: 22
    Recital high tension strings are a really good consistant set of strings that I was introduced to by my guitar tutor. I strongly recommend.

Otherwise I use Pro-Arte. They do take a while to settle down as previously mentioned.

• GTCGTC Frets: 263
    edited January 2021
    Generally I prefer Savarez strings over D'Addario but there is not much between them. I think that string choice has a much greater impact on the sound of a nylon strung guitar than a steel-strung - and is less predictable. I like experimenting and it usually takes a while for me to settle on the best string set for a particular guitar.

For standard nylon sets I usually prefer Savarez 520R - normal tension for a normal full-size scale length. However, it isn't an issue if I have to use D'Addario Pro Arte EJ45's (I prefer the Savarez basses). The D'Addario's actually sound much better on my only all-plywood guitar - a restored 60 yr-old Giannini 104 which I love.

For fluorocarbon sets I prefer Savarez Alliance - but I find fluorocarbon trebles a bit too in your face on normal classical guitars. However, they work well on lattice-braced models and more heavily built crossovers.

D'Addario Titanium nylon treble sets I've found work well on silent and small-bodied guitars. They go in the same tonal direction as fluorocarbons but are a bit gentler. I've got an extra hard tension set on my Frameworks silent and no other set has come close.

I have a lovely Romero Creations Baritone (E-e) Guilele (21" scale like a 1/2 size guitar) and use the recommended Pepe Romero string set on that which I believe is made by La Bella. To my ear, these fluorocarbons sound and feel much mellower than D'Addario and Savarez fluorocarbon sets.

I did once try a Savarez set with wound trebles following a recommendation. A very interesting and different sound with plenty of percussive attack but also a rapid decay which would probably have suited flamenco.

I've never tried Augustine but I have a new handmade Mexican guitar (630mm scale) due to arrive shortly from the US which has been strung with them.

I've occasionally resorted to the cheaper strings you see on Amazon from unrecognised brands. They have generally been OK but they aren't much cheaper than the standard strings from well-known brands and , in my opinion, are inferior and a bit one-dimensional (although the ones that I've tried have settled down quickly).

I don't think there is any conclusion you can draw from the above. However, it is worth experimenting as the right string set can make a huge difference to a nylon-strung guitar. 

Having probably confused everyone I'm now off to bed!!

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Thanks, this is a useful thread for me. Until now I’ve defaulted to Pro Arté more out of laziness apart from one set of Rotosound ball ends which didn’t really work for me/the guitar. 

Plenty of food for thought here and a set of Savarez 520R on their way for the next change. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    I used to use High tension, I think because they felt more like steel strung

Now I don't. AFAIK the intonation is better on less tight strings btw

I'd say try some carbon strings if you haven't already, but be very careful fitting them, they can slip out and damage your soundboard, they need twice as many twists

I'd say phone the London Guitar studio and chat through their ranges, she knows a lot, and will probably be able to advise based on your style and current instrument