SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

NOW SORTED - THANKS ALL!!! WTB: Strat Neck Pickup

FretboredFretbored Frets: 60
edited February 2021 in Parts £
Am looking for a cheap strat neck pickup to replace a dead one on a Korean Squire strat that I've agreed to fix up for a friend to learn guitar on. Max budget is probably £15.

If anyone can recommend any of the cheapo pickups on eBay too, I'd be grateful. It's currently fitted with the mediocre stock ceramic ones.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I've never tried them myself, but I have heard positive comments about Maida Vale pickups on eBay. A small amount over your budget - £20 rather than £15.  Here or here.

(Full disclosure: I need to buy a Tele bridge pickup for a project, and unless something economical comes up here by the time I get the money together, I will probably buy a MV one. The more people who can tell me whether they are actually any good or not...)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    If the Squier Stratocaster has SSS pickups, it might be smarter to use the original bridge position pickup to replace the defective neck one. (They will be the same magnetic polarity and coil winding direction.) 

If you are confident about soldering, disconnect the neck pickup output conductors at the eyelets on its baseplate.

Next, disconnect the bridge position single coil from the selector switch. Unscrew the pickup. Disconnect the two output conductors from its baseplate.

Connect the conductors for the neck pickup to what was the bridge pickup. Mount the pickup in the neck position.

Invest your funds in a new, hotter pickup for the bridge position.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I've got a strat pickup going. No idea where its from, just found it in a cupboard in a box marked, "tape", with a tele set haha
  • I have a handwound strat neck pu by Evil Sheep pickups. £20 inc del
  • FretboredFretbored Frets: 60
    edited February 2021
    Thank you very much to all that have got in touch!

Funkfingers - Thank you for the sound advice on flipping the bridge pup into the neck position, and upgrading the bridge instead. However, sorry I forgot to mention that this is one of them contemporary jobbies, and as such is configured ssh.

Dchwhite - Thanks for the tip about those Maida Vales. They look far superior to anything I've managed to find on eBay in that price range. By the way it sounds like Bluesman 1989 might have some Tele pickups in his cupboard .

Zoolooter - I am potentially interested in the evil sheep. Are you able to tell me what they read, magnet type, and what the pole spacing is? Thanks!!

• kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    Iron Gear Pig Iron brand new in box £20 delivered
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • FretboredFretbored Frets: 60
    edited February 2021
    Many thanks to all for the great offers and advice!

Now sorted with a neck and an upgraded middle pickup courteousy of Flattop.