Question about G2 and controlling Timeline/Big Sky with MIDI

JamieLFJamieLF Frets: 50
Hi all - I'm considering picking up a pedal switcher with G2 being top of the list (G3 is a little out of budget and whilst ES8 remains a contender the G2 currently has the edge for me)

I'd like to use it to control my Timeline and Big Sky but I want them in the FX loop of my amp and don't want to use the 4CM - so essentially I would be using just the MIDI functions of the switcher to control them. Having watched a bunch of videos I'm pretty clear on how I can use MIDI to link a particular Strymon patch to a G2 preset, but what I haven't seen is if I can bypass the Strymons entirely on the G2 presets where I don't want them enabled.

Can anyone help confirm the behaviour of the G2 when a preset is enabled that isn't linked to a Strymon patch? Does it automatically put the Strymons into bypass mode, or would the remain on the previously enabled patch? Is it possible to bypass them via the G2, or would I have to set up bypass patches with the mix level set to 0% for every G2 preset where they aren't required?

Thanks in advance for any info!

TL;DR - is there a way to bypass Strymon pedals using the G2s MIDI capability only? :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Not sure why you’d want to use midi to bypass a pedal -just program the preset to turn off the loop that you have that pedal in, eg. Turn off loop 10
  • JamieLFJamieLF Frets: 50
    Sure, but in this scenario I wouldn't be running the Strymons through the G2. The G2 would be running into the amp's input and controlling all pedals in front of the amp, with the Strymons in the amp's FX loop only. What I'm essentially hoping for is a way to reserve all the G2s loops for front of amp pedals and extend its ability to control the Strymons on top of this by using MIDI.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    edited April 2021
    There probably is (I don't know about Strymons) however another solution could be a Remote Loopy 2 or Bright Onion Dual Remote Looper, which could do bypass for the Strymons using the G2 remote switches if you're not using all 4 for amp switching (I assume you'd want some amp switching hence the wanting the delay and verb in the loop)

admittedly this adds to the overall cost but is an option nonetheless

EDIT - Bypass on the Strymons by MIDI uses CC 102 - 0 is bypassed, 127 is engaged.  No idea how to programme those sends into a G2...
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    If midi is really important to you, it's worth another look at the ES-8. Its midi control is massively better than the G2.
    edited April 2021
    Oh right, I’d say use a remote loopy 2 (some available in the Fs section of this site.  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/202776/fs-gigrigs-and-goodies#latest ) controlled via g2 using 2 of the remote switches and a TRS cable.  Or, stick the strymons in a loop each and use the volume insert connected to the fx loop on your amp and position it in the chain before the strymons
    @Gulliver i think g2 can only do pc changes via midi and not cc ones
    pmg said:
    I'd be lying if I said I had any idea what either of them are... I don't do MIDI.   When I eventually get a G2/G3 (G3's extra loops and screen appeal to me greatly) It will only get used as a switcher.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Gulliver said:
    pmg said:
    I'd be lying if I said I had any idea what either of them are... I don't do MIDI.   When I eventually get a G2/G3 (G3's extra loops and screen appeal to me greatly) It will only get used as a switcher.

In that case you'll be missing out on some of the best features of the Strymon pedals. Midi isn't hard.
  • JamieLFJamieLF Frets: 50
    Thanks everyone for the comments! From the look of things so far it seems like it's either going to be the ES8 or the G2 with some additional hardware too, not far from what I was expecting but good to know anyway!
    Gulliver said:
    pmg said:

In that case you'll be missing out on some of the best features of the Strymon pedals. Midi isn't hard.
    I don't use any Strymon pedals - the only thing I own that is MIDI capable is my Whammy DT and I'm not quite so lazy that I cba to bend down to change settings...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    There is a couple of YT videos about this 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    JamieLF said:
    Hi all - I'm considering picking up a pedal switcher with G2 being top of the list (G3 is a little out of budget and whilst ES8 remains a contender the G2 currently has the edge for me)

I'd like to use it to control my Timeline and Big Sky but I want them in the FX loop of my amp and don't want to use the 4CM - so essentially I would be using just the MIDI functions of the switcher to control them. Having watched a bunch of videos I'm pretty clear on how I can use MIDI to link a particular Strymon patch to a G2 preset, but what I haven't seen is if I can bypass the Strymons entirely on the G2 presets where I don't want them enabled.

Can anyone help confirm the behaviour of the G2 when a preset is enabled that isn't linked to a Strymon patch? Does it automatically put the Strymons into bypass mode, or would the remain on the previously enabled patch? Is it possible to bypass them via the G2, or would I have to set up bypass patches with the mix level set to 0% for every G2 preset where they aren't required?

Thanks in advance for any info!

TL;DR - is there a way to bypass Strymon pedals using the G2s MIDI capability only? :)
    You can use the fx loop on the amp with the G2 by using the volume insert. Place volume insert after dirt pedals etc then wire the volume insert out to front of amp, amp fx send to volume insert return then G2 output to amp fx return