Chord Of The Week 17/8/13: G / Gmaj7

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    bigjon said:
    I also like to play the Gmaj9no3rd 3 x [7] [7] [7] x in string order 4, 3, 2, bend-the-2nd-string-behind-the-nut-up-a-semitone-to-a-G, 6.
    This gives (eventually)
    G5add9: 3 x [7] [7] [7->(8)] x
    Another cracker of a G5add9 chord is the one at the beginning of 'Sisters' by Steve Vai, start with a hammer-on from the open 6th string to the 3rd fret G note - 
    G5add9: 3xx23x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Really enjoying this thread! That is all. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10756
    I pick that bottom G. Didn't know he hammers it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I have nothing to add about voicings but consider this for open G: use fingers 2,3,4 NOT 1,2,3.

Now, see how easy it is to change from open G to open C. 1 goes down on the C (B string fret 1),  2&3 just move together across by 1 string. You can leave 4 where it is or lift it off whichever seems best. You don't have to move your fretting hand to a whole other position.

See also the change from either open G or open C, to open D. Fingers 2&3 move to the treble side of the fingerboard, again together on adjacent strings with 3 one fret higher than 2.

So: I IV V changes in the key of G are now dead easy, likewise in the key of C especially if you use the cheat-thumb on the 6th string way of playing F. Those 2&3 stay in the same configuration on the same pair of frets just moving across the strings. Ergonomics? :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • vizviz Frets: 10756
    Gmaj7 320002 as the 2nd chord of the rain son by led zep. Nice.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    Gmaj7 320002 as the 2nd chord of the rain son by led zep. Nice.

David Gilmour uses this in the Song "On the Turning away" together with a "normal" G 320003

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RockerRocker Frets: 5005
    edited September 2013
    x 5 5 o o 3,

x 5 o o o 3,

x 5 5 4 o 3, 

x x o o o x,

x x o o o 3,

These voicings 'work' well in a group situation. Especially if the group has a second six stringer who plays the more usual G major shape ( 3 2 o o o 3 or 3 2 o o 3 3).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Just come up with a good-sounding G chord arranged from the mandolin onto the guitar - 
    G: 15 x 0 x 12 15