First time modding SX tele

Hi all, new to the forum and to modding. 
First thing am looking to do to newly acquired SX tele vtg series is swap out pickups - don’t want to spend a fortune as never done it before and may mess it up.  Seen set of pickups by vanson, about £30 for the set, and can’t find anything online about them.  They are labelled as vintage 50’s anlico v - as a first punt at any of this I kind of thought they must be better than the stock pickups but would appreciate any advice or suggestions if anyone has had any experience with this brand.  Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12375
    I don't know Vanson but Pribora have a good reputation and are cheap.  I've used Axes R Us pickups which are fairly cheap and good quality.  You might find changing the pots and capacitors may make a difference, you can buy a pre wired harness if you don't want to wire the whole thing.

I bought all the components individually for a tele build and learnt how to do it by you tube videos which taught me a lot - mainly to buy pre wired harnesses but I'm glad I did it; It made me a lot more confident with modding.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14444
    Take a look in the Parts £ section of this forum. You should find pre-owned MIM Fender pickups within budget.

If you insist on Alnico rod magnets, check out Alegree's Old Timer series. Either his Vintage 55 or Hybrid 5 & 2.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RikimaruRikimaru Frets: 0
    Thanks for the replies munckee and funkfingers, will check out your recommendations
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Iron Gear pickups are cool for the price.
  • RikimaruRikimaru Frets: 0
    Have gone for some iron gear pickups - thanks sawyer - Chris at Essex guitar services who has setup a few guitars for me also recommended them.  While I’m stripping the guitar down think I’m gonna go the whole hog and paint it too - thinking metallic sage green.  Any recommendations for spray paint ?  Appreciate any advice