Hmm...is this really a 1962 guitar?

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 746
edited July 2014 in Guitar
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited July 2014
    It looks okay - though I would expect the pick-up covers and switch tip to be the same colour as the knobs.

The pick-up poles also look VERY shiny for a 50+ year old guitar and I can NEVER understand why a tone pot would be replaced, when it's the volume control which gets to most use.

Without taking it apart, properly authenticating a vintage Fender is impossible.

That tone control thing makes me suspect that some of it is a pre-CBS Strat, and that some of it isn't.

I've said this before - but it bears repetition - unless you know exactly what you're looking for, avoid buying a vintage Fender. There are Fender/Tokai/Squier lash-ups all over the place.

One minor point - in the early '80s, Roger Giffin was a London based repairer - his move to America was much later, hence the 'Gibson' reference is spurious. Last I heard, he was building in the US under his own name. The pillar-box red refinish does not match any genuine Fender colour from the period.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4138
    Looks iffy to me, but unless you had much better pics, of certain areas then hard to tell. The scratchplate just looks too good for that age.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Looks as described to me. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Same here.

The pickguard does look a bit too good, but it's very hard to fake the router chatter in the edge and the slight bleed of the black into the green layers, and it does have those.

Sometimes tone pots do go iffy, or it may have been used as a 'wah' - or broken by trying to open out the split shaft to grip the knob better.

I completely agree with richardhomer that every part would have to be assessed in detail and that it could at the very least be parts of more than one old guitar, though - this is the real problem with buying vintage Fenders!

The low starting price will be to attract interest before pulling the auction later after attracting interest off-Ebay. You'd be crazy to actually go through with an Ebay/Paypal sale in something like that anyway - too much risk of trouble after the event.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom