Leo Fender...would be 112 today..

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6126
edited August 2021 in Tributes
Today is Leo's 112th Birthday, he being born in 1909.
What a legacy this man left. it's humbling to realise how much we guitarists owe to this modest genius.

https://www.cescoscornerguitars.com/img/private/1950_Fender_Broadcaster_0742/1950_Fender_Broadcaster_0742_01.jpg

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14272
    edited August 2021 tFB Trader

that would make him some what of a relic today 

Interesting how two great pioneers did not play guitar - Leo Fender and Jim Marshall - But somehow delivered what was required
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    edited August 2021
    In my opinion Leo Fender is the single most important person in the history of 20th-Century music, despite not being a musician.

(Technically, he was originally a saxophone player, but I'm fairly sure he didn't pursue it very long or to any great level.)

While it's true that he didn't invent either the electric guitar or the amplifier - nor even quite the electric bass, although that's very close - he nevertheless introduced innovations that completely changed the way what we call rock'n'roll developed.

He was a self-taught radio repairman who had an instinctive understanding of how things worked and a talent for problem-solving and functional design. Perhaps not surprising that he's a personal hero of mine .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Happy Birthday Leo, wherever you are.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    ICBM said:
    In my opinion Leo Fender is the single most important person in the history of 20th-Century music, despite not being a musician.

(Technically, he was originally a saxophone player, but I'm fairly sure he didn't pursue it very long or to any great level.)

While it's true that he didn't invent either the electric guitar or the amplifier - nor even quite the electric bass, although that's very close - he nevertheless introduced innovations that completely changed the way what we call rock'n'roll developed.

He was a self-taught radio repairman who had an instinctive understanding of how things worked and a talent for problem-solving and functional design. Perhaps not surprising that he's a personal hero of mine .

I remember in 1999, they had a poll of the most important figures in 20th century music and he won it.

My mind boggles that you have near enough old Fender guitar/bass and if a part fails or breaks (unless it is a twisted neck) pretty much anyone can diagnose the fault then you get a replacement (that will fit!) for not much more than £20 within a few days and replace it yourself.

@ICBM what are the old amps like to service?  It's strange how certain eras seem to latch on to a certain old Fender amp design for a while, for a while there were the Lazy J obsessions with Tweed Deluxes, then there was a boutique designers who were basing their designs on the Harvard (I think?), right now it seems the Bassman is getting more attention, via a bit of an odd way of coming around with the Doom amp explosion eg Sunn, Sovtek Mig which used Bassman schematics as starting points.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382

@ICBM what are the old amps like to service?
    Easy. They're very well-designed from a serviceability point of view. I wish many modern amps were as good...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited August 2021
    I have a lovely friend, Ted Lee (he’s 80 now) who for many years was one of the UK’s top guitar repairers. Fripp, Justin Hayward, 10cc, Marco Pirroni were all clients.

He went on holiday to California and found the G & L factory. He went in and asked the lady on reception, “Is Leo in?” She explained that “Mr Fender” was out for lunch but asked who Ted was? He explained he was a repairer from the UK and that Leo Fender was his hero. She invited him to wait until “Mr Fender” returned. When he did, she briefly spoke to him in private - he then came out, greeted Ted and gave him a full factory tour and answered every question Ted could think to ask. Ted described him as ‘brilliant’. I’ve seen the signed G & L catalogue - and was only ‘sightly’ disappointed that his Fs were the right way round
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11757
    I have a lovely friend, Ted Lee (he’s 80 now) who for many years was one of the UK’s top guitar repairers. Fripp, Justin Hayward, 10cc, Marco Pirroni were all clients.

He went on holiday to California and found the G & L factory. He went in and asked the lady on reception, “Is Leo in?” She explained that “Mr Fender” was out for lunch but asked who Ted was? He explained he was a repairer from the UK and that Leo Fender was his hero. She invited him to wait until “Mr Fender” returned. When he did, she briefly spoke to him in private - he then came out, greeted Ted and gave him a full factory tour and answered every question Ted could think to ask. Ted described him as ‘brilliant’. I’ve seen the signed G & L catalogue - and was only ‘sightly’ disappointed that his Fs were the right way round
    What an utterly fabulous story.  Thanks for sharing it.  Some of your heroes are nice guys which is good to know.