Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

If you were starting again?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9736
    I’d probably just buy a Telecaster. Oh, and a Telecaster as backup.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    I'm not sure I'd bother to start over.  I'd take it as a sign from [insert deity or belief system of your choice] that I really should just pack it in.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm not sure I'd bother to start over.  I'd take it as a sign from [insert deity or belief system of your choice] that I really should just pack it in.
    See it’s interesting that you say that because that was the other way I was going to go with this. How much of this  is you doing this because it’s what you’ve always done ? Because you (me) use it as a crutch and part of the armour you use to define yourself to the outside world ?
    If I’m being honest I’m 25years  away from actually trying to make original music and 16-17 years away from even playing other peoples music on a stage. I do wonder what’s left
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    DrBob said:
    Philly_Q said:
    See it’s interesting that you say that because that was the other way I was going to go with this. How much of this  is you doing this because it’s what you’ve always done ? Because you (me) use it as a crutch and part of the armour you use to define yourself to the outside world ?
    If I’m being honest I’m 25years  away from actually trying to make original music and 16-17 years away from even playing other peoples music on a stage. I do wonder what’s left
    .................... I honestly don't know. 

(Glad to hear you have actually tried to make original music and play on stage.  I never even got there!)

I don't think it's something I use to define myself to the outside world, my friends know I'm into music and guitars but none of them share those interests and nobody's ever really seen me play a guitar, so it's just a nebulous concept to them.

Yes, it's something I've done, or been interested in, for a very long time.  And the same could be said of most of my interests - I haven't changed those interests much as I've got older.  I guess in some ways I've never grown up, to be honest.  On the other hand I don't feel like I should change just for the sake of it.... I'm not going to start wearing polyester slacks and going on Saga holidays just because I'm old.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    Dave_Mc said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Big problem is current pricing- most of my gear I've bought when prices were a lot more attractive. Just because I liked something at the price it cost when I bought it doesn't mean I'd like it at the price it would cost me to buy it now!

So I'd have to have a think about it. 
    This ^^ My Fylde Alchemist cost about £1500 when I bought it ,it’s now £4,500 new,and myEggle Berlin isn’t available new, so really don’t want to think about it
    Yeah there's definitely some stuff which would be a pain to get again. I imagine I would try to get some similar stuff to what I currently have, but I doubt I'd try to replace everything "like for like". But obviously much easier if it's not stolen and I don't have to (touch wood! :D )!

When I got back into playing guitar a few years back, an Eggle Berlin was the first guitar I saught out as was always my biggest regret selling. The resale prices recently on them have been ridiculous too!

Another was a 70's Les Paul 'The Paul' Made from Walnut, but I've never bothered replacing her as their prices now are silly for what they are...and also weigh a tonne!
    I don't have a Berlin but I've got a New York Pro (and also a Tiggle Vienna)- they're both great. Love Eggles. I just happened to come across recently (just browsing through the Black Friday sales in case anything was interesting) a New York on one of the bigger UK shops' websites second hand for £900! Obviously that's shop prices, and it might never sell for that, but IIRC I got mine for about a third of that second hand maybe 10-15 years ago. 

I know prices will go up over time, that's just the way it works, but there's going up and there's going up. Most prices I've been bothered to put intothe BoE inflation calculator have come to nowhere near what they're asking now if you only allow for inflation.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    edited November 2021
    Apart from the guitar I learnt on ive no attachment to any of my gear. 
    I’ve owned 146 different  guitars over the past 28 years some expensive well made stuff and everything in between.  I played and sounded the same on all of it. 
    All that time and effort and money wasted. If I’d have ploughed that into lessons and practice at least I’d have something to show for it. 

If I was to buy new stuff I’d grab a simple 2xP90
    guitar and the blug amp1 and a small cab. 

Thinking on I do love my Marshall jackhammer pedal and Op amp big muff. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    jeztone2 said:  Would you buy the same again or mix it up? 
    Each of the guitars that I’ve bought were needed at the time, but not now. Would I replace them? No. I’d buy an electric to tide me over whilst I made a pair of Telecasters, and I’d go on the search for a decent acoustic.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • My current set is a pair of Soloists, Schecter SVSS and a cheap as chips bass. My first thought when I read this thread was that I'd probably replace them with a Charvel DK24 FR and a Schecter Reaper or C6 Pro, and wouldn't bother replacing the bass.

Having read @SquireJapan's post though, I think that's what I'd do too. It's probably the only way I'd ever be able to afford a Blackmachine :)

Amp-wise, I think I'd replace my Katana with a Helix of some description... or possibly a Katana Artist 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd honestly switch to bass and learn a shed load of Beatles songs and never be out of work again.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Tele, Les Paul and a Blackstar Sliverline amp, tuner and a looper + A decent acoustic guitar and maybe another Fishman Loudbox Mini - In fact now I've thought about it I might just sell some of my other stuff and do it anyway ;)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5795
    If I was starting again I doubt I’d replace anything I have now. It’s not work gear for me, I don’t have a signature sound or any need to be consistent. It’s just play time and the fun is partly about getting to try as many different things as I can. 

In the very similar world to music of photography, where I work, if I lost all my gear I’d replace it all with exactly the same items or as close as possible. It’s all researched for a very specific role, proved over time in the field and leaves me free to create with total confidence. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited November 2021

I like to keep things simple , so ...... an LP Junior , a Tele , and maybe an LP Special , with humbuckers .

and probably a Marshall Bluesbreaker amp. 3

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I wouldn't replace any I'd bought.

My keepers are all irreplaceable - ones I have built myself. Starting from scratch would be soul destroying.
  • if all my guitars got nicked I'd buy myself a single hard tailed solid body electric guitar, and a precision bass, and be done with it. I don't know what the guitar would be, probably either a telecaster, rickenbacker or something stratty thats not a strat. 
  • FezFez Frets: 533
    I probably wouldn't have 6 strats but would certainly have an HSS strat and an SSS Prs and a firebird, jaguar and SG would be on the shopping list
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I currently have two guitars - an ESP LTD M-50 and a Gordon Smith G-60 Slimline.

I would replace the LTD because it's a really good guitar and only cost me £300.  

the G-60, to me, couldn't be replaced.  I got it many years ago, for my 18th birthday, and it is bashed up, the frets are really worn, but it has sentimental value.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4155
    edited November 2021
    I've got eight or nine (not sure) electrics right now. That's one full fat Les Paul (a 2009 Traditional) and eight (or seven) guitars in the £400-800 range. 

If I was starting again I'd get a core PRS Single Cut or maybe a Tremonti. And then as contrast I'd have some shreddy thing like a Schecter C1 Apocalypse or a Skervesen. I think two guitars like that would that cover a lot of bases for me. 

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1369
    I'd honestly switch to bass and learn a shed load of Beatles songs and never be out of work again.
    ...and even better learn to sing / harmonise!

Frustratingly like a lot of these open ended questions there are so many answers depending on what you want to achieve.
    For instance define "work". Do you mean "making it" big time ... as in touring / pro ,
    session work (if that even exists!)
    or weekend warrior whilst keeping the day job..
    or full time locally (if such a scene even exists these days?).

As for original post - it's a question I used to ask myself periodically in the past - but less so now because I've pretty much figured out what I need / "want" to get the job done / keep me happy (and it's not a surprising amount!).

If I had did have a time machine to start again - I'd invariably make mistakes all over again regarding gear / music - just different ones!

I'd stll go with the suggestion to get a telecaster (a good one) though!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    I would definitely replace my Jazzmaster. And my Gretsch 6119. And my Rickenbacker 330/12. And my Bass VI. And my Tokai 335 (though it wouldn't necessarily have be be s Tokai - I'd be happy if it was but anything of good quality would be fine). And my Cole Clark acoustic - I'd want a CC but I could be swayed.

I don't know about my Strato-partsa-caster it my Tele or Les Paul. The Les Paul I got because of the individual guitar, I'm not sure I could find another but maybe if there was one with a Bigsby in a cool colour...

Amp wise I'd replace the Deluxe Reverb, even though I have only had it a month or two and not used it live yet - it just seems to cover a lot of ground and it sounds lovely. Not sure if I'd get like for like on my smaller amps.

Pedals. Crickey, I don't know. My Sovtek green Muff and a BF-2 and an old Super Chili Picoso and a couple of analogue delays - in fact, a new purchase for me is the Xvive Echoman which sounds great. I think I'd use the rest of the insurance money to buy a return ticket on a time machine and get a Echorec from the late 60s so it would be reliable.
  • Much I like my Les Paul, I feel I'd probably prefer a more modern take - via PRS or ESP. But without ever owning a Gibson, and scratching that itch, I'd never have not wanted a proper Les Paul. There is just something about them.