Experiments with Piezo Discs

What's Hot
Ask me what is the simplest and most natural sounding pickup system for acoustics and I would say K&K Pure Mini every time. 

In fact, I am just about to fit one to my homebuilt dreadnought in preference to the Shadow Nano system presently installed.

And that is what I recommended to Tom, whose LAG Tramontane I'm sorting out for him.  And that led to an interesting discussion.  Although the Pure Mini is only £99, Tom asked why you couldn't simply use the small piezo discs that are as cheap as chips and use those - surely that's what's under the fancy epoxy covers of the K&K dots?

Decent question.  Only one way of finding out - so £5.99 later I have myself 20 10mm discs:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    They are pretty much the same… I have two fitted in one of my acoustics, epoxied under the bridge on the inside, Jack socket end pin, sounds cracking…
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    poopot said:
    They are pretty much the same… I have two fitted in one of my acoustics, epoxied under the bridge on the inside, Jack socket end pin, sounds cracking…
    Iirc piezo transducers want to see a really high impedance, so I’m interested to know:
    1. Did you just connect them in parallel;
    2. Did you replace the bare leads with screened cable; and
    3. What are you running the output into?
    I didn’t fit them… was a long while back and done by Andy in chandlers but.

1) parallel
    2) no
    3) DI box is a must (or a tu3)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    Yes, they're essentially the same thing and I've used them successfully on cheap instruments. I'm not 100% sure that the epoxy casing doesn't improve the response - by putting a bit of mass on the back of the pickup - but you could do that yourself as well.

I think what you're really paying for with the K&K is the R&D that's gone into making a product which has had all the bugs ironed out - number of sensors, placement, fitting method etc, the fitting jig itself, plus the jack and soldering done properly (not everyone can do this themselves) - rather than the cost of the pickup elements. For someone who isn't experienced at tinkering with bits and bobs and doesn't want to mess around inside their best guitar, it's still good value for money in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    poopot said:

1) parallel
    2) no
    Cheers. I chose an LR Baggs sound hole pickup for my acoustic, then immediately suffered option anxiety over the K&K Pure Mini!
    Keefy said:
    poopot said:

1) parallel
    2) no
    Cheers. I chose an LR Baggs sound hole pickup for my acoustic, then immediately suffered option anxiety over the K&K Pure Mini!
    Iirc… (was a long time back 15years) I went to chandlers to get them to fit what would have been the k&k (or whatever was top dog at the time)…
    Andrew told me to save my money and made one up for me… 
  • So what's special about the K&K Pure Mini?  

Well, for starters: its simplicity; the naturalness of the sound it produces; the signal strength of the sound it produces. 

This is where it is fitted - either fixed to the bridge plate with CA glue or two-sided tape:

The positioning of the dots is stated to be critical and the Pure Mini comes with a simple but effective kit for positioning the dots underneath in the hidden depths of the soundhole.  The idea is that the dots are immediately below the saddle and spaced to add even coverage for each string position.  So in this example, the left hand one will be sitting between the 1st and 2nd string, the middle one between the 3rd and 4th, etc..

What I've not found in any searches, is anyone doing comparisons of the sound if the the dots aren't quite where the instructions say they should be placed.  Also, the epoxy cover over the piezo - does it simply protect the wiring or does it effect the piezo response?  And are the K&K dots the 'standard' piezo discs or different?

Other features - which are certainly important - is they use shielded cable from the dot cables to the jack and the barrel jack is one of decent quality.

I’ll see if I can grab a pic of the inside of mine…

• ICBM said:

I think what you're really paying for with the K&K is the R&D that's gone into making a product which has had all the bugs ironed out - number of sensors, placement, fitting method etc, the fitting jig itself, plus the jack and soldering done properly (not everyone can do this themselves) - rather than the cost of the pickup elements. For someone who isn't experienced at tinkering with bits and bobs and doesn't want to mess around inside their best guitar, it's still good value for money in my opinion.
    Yes - I fully agree with this.  And my recommendation to Tom was to go for the K&K's - I think it is a great system, well presented and made with the installer in mind (Schaller please note  ;)  )

But his motivation - same reason I'm willing to spend a bit of time experimenting - is more curiosity and understanding better the boundaries and potential of piezos in acoustic and hybrid applications.  Better to do that with £20 of bits than £99 of fancier bits :) 
  • And so - with the LAG can I just replicate the installation method that K&K offer?

Actually, not quite.  The reason is that K&K use the bridge pin holes to position the dots.  And the LAG doesn't have bridge pins...

So I have to come up with a cunning plan of how to do that...

(And by the way, anyone who hasn't tried positioning something with either glue or sticky tape in your hand while that hand and forearm bent through a soundhole will have no idea just how difficult to stick it in the right place!  Even letting go when it's in place is difficult  :)  )

Luckily, I do indeed have a cunning plan.  Just got to find out if it's going to work.

• poopot said:
    I’ll see if I can grab a pic of the inside of mine…

That would be great :)

Ok… they look screened… it would appear my bridge is bolted down… and I’ve found the orange balloon the kids lost!!!!

to give an idea of positioning… the bridge bolts are where the pearloid dots are…

If you want to hear the piezo it’s all over the intro on:

https://music.apple.com/gb/album/the-flame/1601031181?i=1601031315

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopot said:

Ok… they look screened… it would appear my bridge is bolted down… and I’ve found the orange balloon the kids lost!!!!

to give an idea of positioning… the bridge bolts are where the pearloid dots are…

Great - thanks.  Great music too :)
    had a thought how to make fitting easier.

Stick a mobile phone in there and video call it from another... just like the heart surgeons do :)
  • A couple of things on @poopot 's guitar above are worth noting.  His is also, like Tom's LAG, a pinless bridge. 

And, there is an opportunity for these - it allows the larger piezo discs to be used because for a pinned bridge, there is limited space between the front edge of the bridge plate and the pins; too small for the larger piezos.  I was talking to a electronics wizard, Geoff, yesterday who gave me some similar sized ones to try if I wanted.  Here's the difference in size:

So - do I replicate the K&K with the smaller discs or do I use the larger discs?

Well - the logic probably goes that the larger discs give out a stronger signal and therefore less proportional 'noise' for the same amplified level as the smaller ones.

But my experiment is more about replicating the fitting recommendations and seeing if I get a decent natural sound at decent absolute noise levels - so at this stage I will use the small ones.  If I find I do, indeed, get excess noise, then I will try again with the larger ones.

The other thing that @poopot 's pick shows is the epoxy covering.  And that also ties in with @ICBM 's point whether the epoxy backing on the K&K's dots creates an audible difference.

I hadn't realised but Geoff has been fitting piezo discs for years - and some he's been asked to to epoxy backings and others not.  His view is that there is no performance change - more that it's useful for protecting the solder joints.  I don't have the time on this project to do the full A/B/C comparisons, but it's a topic to hang up for some future tinkering :)  In the meantime, I'm going to start with open backed discs.

• poopot said:

That's a tone balloon - modern repros just don't have the same resonance. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Andyjr1515 to give you an idea of size, those bolts are about 20mm apart
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    One thing to be very careful of, is if you're going to replace the wiring with shielded cable right to the piezo elements, the piezo material is *extremely* temperature-sensitive - the smallest amount too much heat and you'll burn a hole in it. You even need to be quick soldering to the brass disc. It can be done though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• So - plan A...which might be the only plan if it's successful, is the small discs in the K&K recommended positions.

And so how to get the positioning right? 

Well...the bridge plate (yellow) is sitting inside the X braces (blue) here:

And so, if I cut a piece of wood, just long enough to fit between the X braces, and just a touch deeper than the bridge plate, I know exactly where that piece of wood is in relation to the bridge.  And if I put some two sided tape on it, I can also feel where it is to remove it when I need to:

And then, I could tape the piezos temporarily to the other side of the wood to the sticky tape.  Trying with just one at first to test out the feasibility:

And - because the piece of wood is deeper than the bridge plate, even if the dots have CA or two sided tape on them, they are not going to stick until I press them down against the plate with my in-sound-chamber finger.

I tried it (no sticky at the moment)...

...it worked!

So, next step is to wire three piezos up, align them in their exact positions on this side, and then glue them in place on the inside.  I might even use CA glue.  Now there's misplaced confidence for you ;)    :

• ICBM said:
    One thing to be very careful of, is if you're going to replace the wiring with shielded cable right to the piezo elements, the piezo material is *extremely* temperature-sensitive - the smallest amount too much heat and you'll burn a hole in it. You even need to be quick soldering to the brass disc. It can be done though.
    Good advice - although I was planning to go the 'almost shielded' route (which I know is a bit of a contradiction in terms) with the shielded cable starting where the three sets of leads join the main cable. 

I might be wrong, but I'm not sure that the K&K's are shielded between the buttons and the join point to the jack cable - I think the wires are a bit too thin.  But as I say, I might be wrong.  We have a fairly buzzy house - if it buzzes I'll have a rethink.