Thoughts on new / used pricing of gear and TRADES

What's Hot
So, long story short, I was selling some amp gear - as new condition, used twice, kept in a secure lock up since 2016, gigged once to see if I got on with it and put back in storage. 

Put it up for a competitive price, 40% below retail, got offered a lot of trades for stuff I was kind of interested in but one thing in particular offered really caught my eye, a guitar I'd wanted for ages.

Guy comments on the post saying "trade for this?" - I'm excited and message. 

He they replies a day later saying "its in new condition so i want full retail value so youre gonna have to give me some money on top" 

Am I wrong for thinking as soon as its left the guitar store, its not new? This guy isnt gonna give me a 28 day returns or a warranty so knock off some money here mate, what are you thinking?

If anything the combined new RRP value of the bits I was offering in the trade was actually MORE than the new RRP of the guitar I that was offered for trade. 

The guy still has the guitar for sale at the same price as shops that have stock of it for the same price as RRP - so I can't imagine its gonna sell any time soon. 

Thoughts, am I stingy or mental?
https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3221
    In the current market and because of the artificial price inflation created by bedroom dealers he can charge what he wants. Whether he’ll get a sale at that value is another matter -depends how much you want it I guess. Don’t be afraid to call someone out on an over the top price though, it can be done diplomatically and doesn’t have to cause offence -reasonable deals are negotiated. Again, if the other party is being unreasonable, don’t do the trade. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    He's trying it on mate :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • I just simply said what's stopping me from taking up someone else's cash offer of the asking price for my amp and then going to guitarguitar and playing 3 of them and picking the best one? Paying the same price he wants and having all the support and advantages of buying a new guitar?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    Unless it’s a sought after model that isn’t available, and won’t be again, he is off his rocker. I would reply that you are happy to trade with him and as he is looking for RRP as a basis of trade value, that is also how you will price yours for trade. He is a chancer and won’t sell it for shop price in a million years unless he finds some utter numpty.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited March 2022
    I've had this a few times, it's frustrating. I'd rather they just be up front about wanting money on top (which is fair enough if the used values don't quite match) - but don't get me excited then pull that afterwards!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mellish said:
    He's trying it on mate :) 
    this

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10245
    When it leaves the shop it’s second hand and in my opinion should be sold at second hand prices. If there is a range of used prices based on condition and his is mint it would be reasonable for him to list it at the top of that range, but at anything near the new price is stupid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    "its in new condition so i want full retail value so youre gonna have to give me some money on top" 

= Nob

Steer clear
  • Thanks everyone. Been buying and selling for 10 years now and thought this guy was being a bit of a joker

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    ChrisCox1994 said:
    "it's in new condition so i want full retail value"
    I know somebody with this syndrome. Anything of his that he regrets buying is "as new" and supposedly worth MSRP minus a few tenners. 

Nip the "retail" bullshit in the bud by asking about the warranty/guarantee you will get.

Alternatively, point out that your item is also in excellent condition. By the other guy's logic, your item is also worth full MSRP. Whichever way the items are valued, a straight exchange is the order of the day.

If the other party can not accept this, suggest sex and travel. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It's really annoying as now my GAS for this specific guitar is back aggressively! 

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Never understood the concept of trades. A bit like getting a WH Smith book token for your birthday which means that you can only exchange it for....a book from WH Smith. Whereas with cash, you can exchange it for anything at all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    Never understood the concept of trades. A bit like getting a WH Smith book token for your birthday which means that you can only exchange it for....a book from WH Smith. Whereas with cash, you can exchange it for anything at all.
    Some people don't have disposable cash and sometimes someone else has something you want that's worth the same as something you have that they want. 

What's not to understand?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10245
    Philtre said:
    Some people don't have disposable cash and sometimes someone else has something you want that's worth the same as something you have that they want. 

Yea. If someone has something you want and you want what they want, it makes perfect sense?
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3978
    It’s used, he’s an idiot, avoid.
  • He's trying to get the better deal, if you agreed he would get your amp plus cash, then he'd probably flog the amp for what you are asking or more. Sounds like a bell avoid m8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7027
     youre gonna have to give me some money on top”?

Nuts to that.  Anyone saying “you’re gonna have to” do anything in a negotiation gets a hard pass from me.  It’s arrogant and annoying.

Appreciate you’ve now got GAS for this particular guitar; go for your plan of selling the amp and nipping down to GuitarGuitar to try out a few and choose the nicest one.
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    edited March 2022
    Cols said:
    “ youre gonna have to give me some money on top”?

Nuts to that.  Anyone saying “you’re gonna have to” do anything in a negotiation gets a hard pass from me.  It’s arrogant and annoying.

Appreciate you’ve now got GAS for this particular guitar; go for your plan of selling the amp and nipping down to GuitarGuitar to try out a few and choose the nicest one.
    good point, thing is I wasn't planning on spending an extra £300 this month - hence trades are the way forward for myself currently - guess I'll have to wait for one to come up 2nd hand at a sensible price 

Plus as soon as the money hits my bank account I dont want want to spend it - a trade 'feels' free

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14463
    Philtre said:
    Never understood the concept of trades.

Furthermore, value for value exchanges are invisible to HMRC. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
    Someone bought my D28 last week and immediately put it up for sale for £500 more than he paid me. I’d had it up for sale myself in a number of places for well over a month for less than he’s trying to sell it for. When I was searching for a new acoustic I found plenty of examples of people selling second hand gear for retail prices and refusing to budge.