Male to female speaker leads?

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
edited May 2022 in Amps
Looking for something to try a mates attenuator with my combo, the current speaker lead with 1/4" jack is too short to reach out the back of the enclosure to plug into the attenuator. Is this designacable my best option or is there something else that would work as well, possibly anything cheaper since I'm just trying it out at this point?

https://www.designacable.com/van-damme-studio-grade-2x1-5mm-jack-to-extension-socket-speaker-lead.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqeUBhCBARIsAOdt45ZsJWHD1-Lf951H7sMrqvtww0ReiRr4_JfUSUxDUO6dAeYMSeD0N-AaAoFBEALw_wcB

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited May 2022
    You can get those connectors for like 2 quid. Female female. For joining two leads together. ICBM doesn’t like them though. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6835
    edited May 2022
    ^ that jack to jack coupler uses very thin wire inside so not suitable for speaker powers. Neutrik do a coiled wire jack to jack coupler NA2JJ that would work.

https://www.designacable.com/neutrik-na2jj-passive-speaker-coupler-1-4-jack-to-1-4-jack-coupler-635mm.html

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    viz said:
    You can get those connectors for like 2 quid. Female female. For joining two leads together. ICBM doesn’t like them though. 
    Because they can kill your amp! They’re not really suitable for speaker current connections, they’re for low-level signals only.

In this case you could get away with it since the connector will be between the attenuator and the speaker, so as long as you haven’t got the attenuator bypassed, the amp will always have a load.

I would still get the proper cable though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1634
    The Neutrik locking line jack socket is the only one I would use for speakers, wired in 5amp cable of course.
    However, much easier and cheaper, if a bit of a kludge, is to solder two jacks pin to pin and use a standard speaker jack to jack plug cable.. Cable tie or Gaffer to choice for security.

Dave.
    edited May 2022
    mrkb said:
    ^ that jack to jack coupler uses very thin wire inside so not suitable for speaker powers. Neutrik do a coiled wire jack to jack coupler NA2JJ that would work.

https://www.designacable.com/neutrik-na2jj-passive-speaker-coupler-1-4-jack-to-1-4-jack-coupler-635mm.html

Does this need something wrapping round afterwards to prevent any risk of shorting out (like on the chassis/valve grill or something) or is that not really an issue?
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    This is what I’m using. Simple adapter. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72379
    TTBZ said:

Does this need something wrapping round afterwards to prevent any risk of shorting out (like on the chassis/valve grill or something) or is that not really an issue?
    In general it's not an issue because in almost all valve amps, the output ground is truly ground, so if the spring comes into contact with anything else that's also grounded, the worst it will do is cause a ground loop and hum.

*But* - you cannot assume that with a solid-state amp... the speaker ground is often not a true ground and *must* be kept separate from any other grounded part - or the results can include blowing the power transistors in some cases.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks all, just ordered the neutrik springy thing so hopefully that's all sorted. Will probably tape it up once fitted for peace of mind.