Anyone tried Huel?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5638
As the title.  Is it any good, or is it just a bunch of repackaged dehydrated and/or microwave meals with an inflated price.

Did it help achieve your weight loss goals?

Trying to lose a bit at the moment.  So far I'm down about half a stone in three weeks just from limiting portion size and eliminating snacks.  Ideally I'd like to drop another 30lbs!  I'm currently about 5' 10" and 210ish lbs.

I have thought about Huel for a while but don't know whether I believe the hype or not.

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11786
    Even in the ads it looks horrible, IMHO.

Congratulations on your weight loss to date though :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319
    Yes. Been using it for a couple of years.

I've used the powder shakes and the ready made shakes. They are good value (£ per calorie). I'm unconvinced about the value of the other products.

My FIL also uses it under GP supervision and got him out of a pre-diabetic state
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    I tried it and I was physically sick every time I drank one, so yes I lost weight quite quickly :)

I think Huel is short for Hipster Gruel. Disgusting sweetened dust
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    For sure not a cheap way of doing things. 

I use them as Job is very busy and can be unpredictable with timing. having a 1 or 2 scoop (200 or 400cal) drink was incredibly helpful for me. Good place holder until a full meal can be had. Or top up to get a few extra hours done. 
    better than hitting the vending machine for a bad sandwhich or bag of crisps. 

I don't believe it can be complete meal replacement. but if your aiming for less snacking it could be a good option. 

I've used the powder and hot-meals. - I'm used to protein shakes so they don't bother me. wasn't fussed by the hot meals- never seemed to cook properly or have right consistency. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    Soylent green is people!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1105
    I have the Hot & Savoury mainly. Handy for quick healthy lunches at work or when WFH.
    Some flavours are better than others but that's down to preference for the most part.

I have a bag of shake powder I'm working through but I don't have them very often as I prefer the H&S

If anyone wants a £10 off referral link then PM me

The t-shirt you get on your first order is excellent quality though!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5638
    Thanks all.  It was more the meals I was thinking of than the protein shake things.

I've done shake diets before - they do work for me but take a LOT of will power and I miss physically eating food.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I hate to think how these things are produced in their factories.
    Bit like all processed foods, really.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited May 2022
    I don't buy it.

Not long ago we thought fat was bad for you.
    Not that long ago I remember seeing ads by Linford Christy and co about bread is great for you.
    Now we say fat can be good for you and bread is bad for you.

My point is our understanding of food science and our bodies are constantly shifting and changing so I don't buy how this Huel can be so sure on their "research" and claim to everything the body needs when science itself doesn't know for sure minute to minute, it moves all the time.

Horses for courses but not for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7148
    It tastes rank and it isn't cheap. 

On the plus side, after a while, you get used to the taste and compared to junk food it is good value for money.

Tried it a few times and I always end up not liking it, so I'm not 100% convinced it is for me. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I tried it early on and as said tasted awful. I hope they improved it.

people are immediately throwing the words healthy around that’s marketing. More healthy than a kebab but all you are really doing is controlling a meal size. Effectively eat less lose weight no amount of marketing hype can get you around the simple fact is reduce input  do a light increase in energy burning exercise and you will lose weight.

if I wasn’t a meal replacement I much  prefer Almasted it’s on Amazon and found it effective and palatable and you can add a bit of fresh soft fruit into the mix blueberries work. Do that for breakfast lunch and a small fresh cooked meal
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5638
    Righto, thanks for all the input and comments. 

I wasn’t sold before but I’m even less convinced now. 

Think I’ll keep doing what I’m doing and just keep eating less and stop the snacks permanently. 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I had a go, not to lose weight but because I don't know what a nutritionally complete diet looks like. You need a blender because there are lumps otherwise. I do not have a blender. The lumps made me feel sick after a couple of weeks
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Not my type but I would be more than happy to try Kim Wexler.  ;)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15489
    Sassafras said:
    I hate to think how these things are produced in their factories.
    Bit like all processed foods, really.

I drive past their factory a couple of times a week, you should see the continual lines of lorries going in, all hours of the day. And the screams, wow, right through the night, be a nightmare living nearby (mind you, a lot of the houses near seem empty, and you never see any elderly people around there). Or birds, huh, never thought about the birds.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319
    roberty said:
    I had a go, not to lose weight but because I don't know what a nutritionally complete diet looks like. You need a blender because there are lumps otherwise. I do not have a blender. The lumps made me feel sick after a couple of weeks
    I don’t have a blender. I don’t get lumps.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    @haych great job so far. My view on all these faddy things is the same - bobbins.

We just need to eat proper food in reasonable balanced quantities. All this stuff about low carb, low fat, hi protein whatever - it's bobbins. Not needed. We need carbs, we need fat, we need protein - it just needs to be balanced. 

Fresh food, low additives, good mix of nutrients, sensible portions. Plenty of water and get enough sleep. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Haych said:
    Righto, thanks for all the input and comments. 

I wasn’t sold before but I’m even less convinced now. 

Think I’ll keep doing what I’m doing and just keep eating less and stop the snacks permanently. 

Bingo. Don't give these companies your money - there's nowt wrong with proper food!
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5859
    I tried it and I was physically sick every time I drank one, so yes I lost weight quite quickly :)

I think Huel is short for Hipster Gruel. Disgusting sweetened dust
    Are you sure you didn't try Huey?

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    A work colleague used to buy it and blather on about how great it was.  I used to say, ah, on the Slimfast again?

"Huel" looks like it should be pronounced in a Welsh accent.