GS Mini Advice - All sorted

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
edited July 2022 in Acoustics
I currently have a Taylor 114e that i've had for a few years that's been used every now and then, but i'm now playing mainly in an acoustic duo and i'm struggling with elbow pain in my right arm that gets much more pronounced after a gig/rehearsal due to the dimensions of the body of the guitar. I've spoken to a few people who have suggested looking at the GS Mini which obviously has a much smaller body, so does the collective wisdom of tFB recommend them as a good small bodied acoustic? Would I struggle with the change in neck scale? Or is there something else out there I should look at?

Thanks
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 263
    I used to have a GS mini and honestly didn’t rate it, I would look out for something 24.75” scale and a smaller body, if you ever get close to M5 junc 28, I’m about 15 minutes away, you’re welcome to pop round and try my Brook Torridge,most comfortable acoustic I’ve ever played with an action to die for.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    edited July 2022
    J28................. Cullompton ?    remember going to "dos" at a place near there on the Willand road 

I think its Diggerland or something now
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 263
    bertie said:
    J28................. Cullompton ?    remember going to "dos" at a place near there on the Willand road  I think its Diggerland or something
    Back in the day, it used be the Verbeer Manor, great venue and place to gig, had a chequered history since, not sure if Diggerland is going to reopen.
    yeah Verbeer thats it (mid 80s) ,  had banisters up the stairs and around a "gallery"  IIRC,  we used to have some "wild west-esque"  shenanigans there now and again
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    I used to have a GS mini and honestly didn’t rate it, I would look out for something 24.75” scale and a smaller body, if you ever get close to M5 junc 28, I’m about 15 minutes away, you’re welcome to pop round and try my Brook Torridge,most comfortable acoustic I’ve ever played with an action to die for.
    Thanks for the advice - obviously a Brook is a tad expensive for my budget but would be good to try one. I'm up in Bideford and my office is based in Cully so could always try to wangle something.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3780
    I've got a Martin 00015 in the classifieds if it's of interest? 
    drofluf said:
    Thank you, but it's a tad over my budget.
    edited July 2022
    PC_Dave said:
    drofluf said:
    Thank you, but it's a tad over my budget.
    what is your budget ? :)
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    The GS Mini I tried in PMT had much more volume than its body size suggested.

It played well, was comfortable and, had I been looking for a guitar, I'd have bought it.

Try a few out :) 
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 942
    edited July 2022
    I had a GS Mini for about 3 years - the basic spruce top model. I thought it was a great little guitar. I really liked the small scale and found no problem switching between that and a full scale length. It had plenty of volume and a very decent tone.
    I've noticed that it's had a few detractors over the years here at TFB though 
    try it before you do or dont buy it :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 245
    Not sure if it would be small enough but the PRS range of acoustics are a good price on Guitarguitar. In case you don't know, I'm a bit of a fan but do make an allowance for after purchase adjustments.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7814
    I like my GS mini, perfectly good for writing, travelling and plugged in gigs where you dont need big dread' thump.
    It is comfy on the right arm.

Purely on tone though you're best off with a decent 000 or OM, and while bigger than a GS, they are shallower than a dreadnought.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9673
    I bought a GS Mini a couple of years ago and it’s my most played acoustic by far. It’s very pick-upable due to the small body. The scale length is shorter than capo at fiirst fret, not as short as capo at second fret. Some songs I play with capo at fifth fret can be a bit of a squeeze, but otherwise it’s fine.

I think Taylor have been very clever with the GS Mini. They started by finding which of their body shapes sounded best when shrunk. The curved back aids projection and a groove runs round the edge of the top to allow the top to move more than usual. Then the scale length allows them to fit 13-56 strings with 12-52 tension. The result of all this is a big, loud sound.
  • greejngreejn Frets: 128
    I've got a Koa GS Mini-e. Really practical and comfy to play, sounds very good through a PA. I suspect it's much better than the standard version.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5546
    There are two ways of looking at the GS Mini. It is a cheap, undersize, short-scale plywood guitar which has every right to be pretty awful. On the other hand, it is amazingly good for what it is. This is what leads to the strongly divided opinions about it. If you look at it as a plywood mini-guitar, it will blow your socks off - it's much better than it looks. But if you look at it as a competitor to other instruments in the same price range, it's playing out of its league. 

I'm not quite sure how Taylor do it, but somehow the very short scale feels longer than it is. It's actually a fun guitar to play (and that's coming from someone who doesn't like short scales at all as a rule). And the sound is inoffensive. Would I take one home and play it for pleasure? Of course not. If I played a gig with it instead of a guitar five times the price, who would notice? Me (obviously), my bandmates (probably) and ... well, probably no-one else at all. 

The real question is what is causing the elbow trouble? Body size? Or body depth? Or just your technique? What happens if you play something with a very small body (a parlour for example)? And what happens if you play something with a very thin body (borrow a semi-acoustic for a couple of hours)? 

It may be that you will be better suited to one of those full-size but slimline acoustics which are now made by a variety of manufacturers. Or a parlour. 

Anyway, good luck with it - and whatever you do, be sure to play a GS Mini before you buy it, they are not something to buy without sampling.

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 766
    Take a look at the Sheeran by Lowden range. Similar price point as Taylor GS Mini. All fairly small too. S models slightly larger, W models slightly smaller and a different shape. Most but not all have LR Baggs electrics. Made in Ireland. Good rep.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Amplified or just acoustic? There are different options available. 
    All sorted now, thanks for the advice chaps.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 239
    Come on then @PC_Dave ; - spill the beans!