What’s your Q4 22 Challenge?

What's Hot
Early autumn is always a good time for a build challenge. Shortening days mean there’s more time in the evenings from September to November, and less going on at weekends too. So before Christmas gets in the way let’s have a guitar related challenge!

It has to be a personal challenge. Inevitably someone will want to build a guitar. Someone will want to modify one. Someone will want to get a soldering iron out. Everyone tinkers with their pedal board. There must be at least one person who wants to start recording. Set your own target. The only constraint is that it has to contain some element that you’ve not done before.

As usual we need challenge threads, with pictures. The notional winner will be the person who writes the most entertaining thread.

What’s your challenge going to be? Me, I’m going to make another headless guitar. So far I’ve bought a truss rod and tuners.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8755
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27690
    Roland said:
    The only constraint is that it has to contain some element that you’ve not done before.

That's probably going to be actually finishing a challenge within the time limit for me then ...

Roland said:
     Me, I’m going to make another headless guitar.
    Is the "element that you've not done before" going to be a headstock on the headless guitar ???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I'm in!! I've wanted to do a Gibson RD style guitar project for a while, maybe do a semi-hollow RD, don't think I've seen one of them before. I'll start thinking about/planning it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry @Roland , too many things going on in my life at the moment - I'll be watching other people's builds though.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1352
    I've just started a Les Paul custom build but it will almost certainly take me more than 3 months to complete!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    edited August 2022
    Thats spooky, I was only thinking yesterday, “it must be time for a challenge” and even more so, Ive just started planning another partscaser, must be fate….Anyroadup
    It will be a hardtail Strat body, H/S pickups, no scratchplate, no comfort carves with a London Plane top, single push/push or pull/push volume pot/pickup selector, no tone, a left hand Tele neck which I will refret and a first for me a stained burst finish.
    @FatPete will make the body

So, I guess Im in!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    My challenge will be to finish my current (non-musical) woodwork project before Q4. And post it here despite its utter irrelephants to the forum. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7079
    tFB Trader
    I'm still working on my Q1 challenge. Or rather not working on it, it's a case of cobbler's children here.

I do need to get it painted while the weather holds though!
    Sporky said:
    My challenge will be to finish my current (non-musical) woodwork project before Q4. And post it here despite its utter irrelephants to the forum. 
    Is it a travel trunk @Sporky ?
    TTony said:
    Sporky said:
    Is it a travel trunk @Sporky ?
    I see what you did there. 

No. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1493
    I have a project to finish, I keep putting it off, it is a Jazzmaster with Jaguar scratchplates and a Johnny Marr tele style switch.  It needs the routing modified to fit, so I will put up a thread for that.  At the same time, I will finish the Tele from my earlier challenge (now I have the Oil City pickups for it).
  • Mine is to decide on a house to buy, and ensure there’s room for a project/workshop area so that I can actually complete one of these damned challenges next year! :mrgreen: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it will have to be building a thinline guitar - probably a Strat shaped body. 
    More specifically, mine will be a faux taxidermy display, including making the cabinet. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    I hope to build some kind of microphone stand, to be used for our family sing along sessions. I know I could buy one but two things jump up on me: more kit in the music room and I actually want to build something. Or modify something. Over the next few days I will look at ‘things’ and see if one or more could be adapted to do the job. 
    No sure if this counts as a Q4 guitar related challenge but a microphone stand is needed and I am determined to give it a try. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Mine is to try out all the pickups I have bought but never got round to installing, then decide what to keep and what to sell (so I can then buy more...)
  • gretschthumpergretschthumper Frets: 89
    edited August 2022
    Well, I’m gonna go in for this one - 2 years ago I bought a LPjr body and some wood for neck & fingerboard from guitars&woods in Portugal, and then … nothing! Put on a shelf while I was distracted by other things … but now I’m retired, and coincidentally a few days ago I made a start on the neck - so I’ll start a thread about it, hopefully it will keep me focused, as I get easily sidetracked (also can get advice from people who know what they doing ..)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    More specifically, mine will be a faux taxidermy display, including making the cabinet. 

So, how faux?

Will it be faux-stuffed?  Or faux-dead?  Or perhaps faux-present?

Maybe the cabinet won't really be there?    Or perhaps it will be a closed box (faux display) and then we'll never know whether there's anything at all in there.

Unless it squawks.
    For faux sake, just wait and see! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    For faux sake, just wait and see! 
    Think you're taking me for a faux.