Good deal on Taylor American Dream AD17 for only £689

What's Hot

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1441
    edited November 2022
    Dave_Mc said:
    rather than Thomann's (admittedly already sold-out!) "hard to pass even if you didn't need one!"
    It was a cracking deal if it was something you were already considering but I don't find it hard to pass on spending £700 on something I neither need or previously thought I wanted. Whenever I come across these kind of deals I always ask myself would I buy the exact same item at the asking price if that was the regular, rather than sale, price and the answer is usually no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the look of Taylors over Martins as a more premium guitar. They look more modern and attractive to my eye. Martin's look a bit old and 'boring.' Like all that dark wood furniture favoured by the older generation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6244
    Dave_Mc said:
    Thanks @Whitecat and @goldtop :) That's still £100 more than the AD17 was, and I'm not sure whether a small guitar is a good idea or not- I chickened out of the GS Mini several years back for that reason! The GT seems slightly bigger, but it's still not full-sized (scale seems to be just over 24" while the GS Mini is just under 24", I think).
    Yup - it is. It's about 000 size. Here's a great video where Taylor and co talk about the reasons and decisions. TLDR: Andy Powers handmade some solid-wood GS Minis, didn't like them enough, created a new shape between the GS and GC sizes:

(I liked everything I heard in that podcast, but some people might find there's a dealbreaker in there. And for now, I have a Sigma J-45 copy for bigger/louder.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2384
    Dave_Mc said:
    rather than Thomann's (admittedly already sold-out!) "hard to pass even if you didn't need one!"
    It was a cracking deal if it was something you were already considering but I don't find it hard to pass on spending £700 on something I neither need or previously thought I wanted. Whenever I come across these kind of deals I always ask myself would I buy the exact same item at the asking price if that was the regular, rather than sale, price and the answer is usually no.
    Yeah. Reluctantly putting on my sensible hat, you're absolutely right. That being said, there probably does come a point where a price gets so attractive that it's hard to pass. If someone offered a Gibson for £50 (caveat of course being that you're sure it's genuine and not stolen!), that's hard to pass whether you need it or not.

Also when you mention full price, I'm not sure I'd want anything at full price, lol. Maybe that just means I already have everything I need, though  =)

Also I suppose I sort of do want a round-shouldered dreadnought. I'm finding it easier to avoid the smaller GT!
    I like the look of Taylors over Martins as a more premium guitar. They look more modern and attractive to my eye. Martin's look a bit old and 'boring.' Like all that dark wood furniture favoured by the older generation.
    Yeah agreed. My sister really doesn't like Martins- "They're staid" she says.

Conversely she likes Gibsons- "They're retro but in a cooler way"

I'm pretty much the same except I'm not just as down on Martins. And obviously with Gibson you very much have to find a good one- the good ones are lovely, but some are borderline laughable (at least out of the ones I've tried).

goldtop said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Thanks @Whitecat and @goldtop :) That's still £100 more than the AD17 was, and I'm not sure whether a small guitar is a good idea or not- I chickened out of the GS Mini several years back for that reason! The GT seems slightly bigger, but it's still not full-sized (scale seems to be just over 24" while the GS Mini is just under 24", I think).
    Yup - it is. It's about 000 size. Here's a great video where Taylor and co talk about the reasons and decisions. TLDR: Andy Powers handmade some solid-wood GS Minis, didn't like them enough, created a new shape between the GS and GC sizes:

(I liked everything I heard in that podcast, but some people might find there's a dealbreaker in there. And for now, I have a Sigma J-45 copy for bigger/louder.)
    Thanks for the video, I'll take a look at that.

Just to be absolutely clear- I'm not trying for a second to put anyone off the smaller one. I'm just saying, for me personally, I'm not sure how fond I am of smaller acoustics (and I'm basically trying to talk myself out of buying something I don't need!). If you know you love them, it's a really great deal on the GT as well. :)
    ^ Yeah, no worries. I saw this thread's title and thought "AD17 - bugger - I don't need a dreadnought". So I was super happy to click around the Thomann site and find a similar discount on the smaller GT.

(I've also got a Yamaha CSF parlour. Now that is small; the GTe will be about 20% bigger in terms of sound box volume.)
    edited November 2022
    Interesting- DV247/MusicStore have just put their Black Friday deals up- they seemed to have an AD17 in it as well, but it's sold out. I wonder what price it was, lol.
    goldtop said:
    ^ Yeah, no worries. I saw this thread's title and thought "AD17 - bugger - I don't need a dreadnought". So I was super happy to click around the Thomann site and find a similar discount on the smaller GT.

(I've also got a Yamaha CSF parlour. Now that is small; the GTe will be about 20% bigger in terms of sound box volume.)
    Yeah. I actually found the GT deal first, when I went to Thomann and hadn't been here for a day or so- I thought it was a pretty good deal. Then I got here and realised I'd missed (for me!) an even better one. But I'm glad it suited some people, that's the big problem with really good deals- they can only do them on a few items, so it's luck if it suits you. But if it does (and someone else doesn't get it first!) then awesome I hope you like it when it turns up!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    GTe has arrived! Busy with dinner tonight, but there's a free weekend ahead... :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 917
     Mine has arrived as well,  superb guitar and super resonant.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1606
    Same here. Managed to have a couple of hours with it this afternoon. Was expecting to be underwhelmed but I'm impressed. Taylor build quality is excellent as you'd expect. Urban ash looks really good, the aero case is something to behold. It plays well and imo it sounds pretty damn good. I can't comment on strumming but with a thumb and a couple of finger picks it's bang on. 
    My 6 year old has taken a real interest in playing so I'll keep it for us both. Keeps her hands off my Lowden which she seems to have taken a shine to :) 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Glad to hear they're really nice :) 
    edited November 2022
    markj said:
    Only had limited time with it at the moment but highly impressed.super build quality and does really sound sweet and alive, no doubt helped by the thin finish.
    Going to change the strings for my personal favs.
    Up to now I prefer it over my Martin HD28 reimagined that I had earlier this year.
  • Gandalph said:
    Same here. Managed to have a couple of hours with it this afternoon. Was expecting to be underwhelmed but I'm impressed. Taylor build quality is excellent as you'd expect. Urban ash looks really good, the aero case is something to behold. It plays well and imo it sounds pretty damn good. I can't comment on strumming but with a thumb and a couple of finger picks it's bang on. 
    My 6 year old has taken a real interest in playing so I'll keep it for us both. Keeps her hands off my Lowden which she seems to have taken a shine to :) 
    Lowden and Taylor in the same household? I am very jealous.
  • Glad everyone is loving their new GT's it must be me. I have not given up on it just yet and will continue to play it daily as I am hopeful it will open up more and get a bit more relaxed over time. As said with Taylor you can't fault the fit and finish. My Urban Ash even has a bit of flame on the back and sides. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    markj said:
    markj said:
    Only had limited time with it at the moment but highly impressed.super build quality and does really sound sweet and alive, no doubt helped by the thin finish.
    Going to change the strings for my personal favs.
    Up to now I prefer it over my Martin HD28 reimagined that I had earlier this year.
    Wow glad it's worked out so well!  :o  =)

Glad everyone is loving their new GT's it must be me. I have not given up on it just yet and will continue to play it daily as I am hopeful it will open up more and get a bit more relaxed over time. As said with Taylor you can't fault the fit and finish. My Urban Ash even has a bit of flame on the back and sides. 

Sorry to hear yours isn't working out so well :( I saw a fair bit of flame in the pics I saw on Thomann- I assumed it was one of the best-looking ones, but nice to see you do have a chance of getting some nice flame- though I dare say you would prefer no flame but to like it a bit better! Fingers crossed it opens up a bit more as you hope it will...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2814
    It’s been a very humid couple of months in UK, so most acoustics will be a bit dead sounding (unless in a dehumidifier room etc) so persevere.  Humidity seems to be dropping over the last week to 10 days so that might improve feel and sound 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5573
    Strings, @Jez6345789, strings are your go-to. Try a set of something relaxed and warm. DR Sunbeams,  Adams Composite, Dogal Round Core, Galli LS, or Santa Cruz Parabolic. Any of those will give you a softer, more welcoming feel than the factory Elixirs, and a marked improvement in tone.
    I’ve put a set of PB Curt Mangans on my AD17.
    Its made it warmer sounding and has definitely improved the tone of an already lovely sounding guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5573
    Curt Mangan phosphor bronze are good strings but they also make a round core version of the same thing which is even better. My WA May loves CM round cores, and I'll try them on one or two others before too long.
    Tannin said:
    Strings, @Jez6345789, strings are your go-to. Try a set of something relaxed and warm. DR Sunbeams,  Adams Composite, Dogal Round Core, Galli LS, or Santa Cruz Parabolic. Any of those will give you a softer, more welcoming feel than the factory Elixirs, and a marked improvement in tone.
    That's interesting. As an acoustic newbie, I've not really got a feel for string variations.

So far, I'd say the clearest upgrade in tone is that the GTe is - to my ears - far more articulate than the two others I have (both larger but with laminated backs). I'd say there's perhaps a bit too much crispness, but that might be a new guitar and new strings combination?
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 795
    edited December 2022
    For anyone who felt like they missed out last time around Thomann are selling customer returns for the GT models. Not sure if it’s a good or bad thing, but they have a fair few:

Taylor GTe for £839: https://www.thomann.de/gb/taylor_gte_urban_ash_spruce_b_stock.htm

Taylor GT for £753: https://www.thomann.de/gb/taylor_gt_urban_ash_spruce_b_stock.htm

I really like my GS-Mini, but find the neck a little cramped, so will try the GTe at that price