COMPLETED - Project #3 - GSP Thinline Tele

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    PVO_Dave said:
    Megii said:
    This is going to be such a pretty guitar. Liking your careful, "take your time" approach to the whole thing as well. It's really making me want to build a thinline myself...
    I'm impatient by nature, but not much I can do to speed up the curing process and it's my first go at a guitar build, so being extra cautious, enjoying it so far though :)

Might be worth speaking to GSP for your thinline needs!
    My advise would be keep doing what you're doing and don't rush anything - attention to detail is what makes the difference with parts building. Make sure you get the neck aligned right when you get to that stage. Speaking to GSP has, I confess, occurred to me - although I really shouldn't right now, having accumulated too many guitars already! Rude question, but can I ask how much you paid for the neck and body?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2380
    I'll PM you @ Megii - I got the body / neck as part of a clear out by Grahame, so don't want to advertise an unrealistic price :)
    PVO_Dave said:
    I'll PM you @ Megii - I got the body / neck as part of a clear out by Grahame, so don't want to advertise an unrealistic price :)
    Cheers @PVO_Dave, I will admit I'm a bit tempted!
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7501
    edited August 2014
    I used 6 or 7 on my PRS alike, and it turned out well - it's shiny.  There are rub marks because I rushed it a bit on the last few coats - hence my advice! 

Gave up on flickr, just click it ;)
    Kind of hard to tell from that picture bud! The thinline has a shine under direct light, not as much as the PRS alike as far as I can tell from the picture, I'll give it some thought tomorrow once it's dry!

Did you try and wirewool it and re-do the last coats? :)
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7501
    edited August 2014
    PVO_Dave said:
    Kind of hard to tell from that picture bud! The thinline has a shine under direct light, not as much as the PRS alike as far as I can tell from the picture, I'll give it some thought tomorrow once it's dry!

Did you try and wirewool it and re-do the last coats? :)
    I did, and it did help to level it all out a bit :) basically, I got a bit keen and rushed it, but from a couple of feet away it's pretty good!

Here are a couple more pics that show it in different light 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aguywitholdcameras/13541549684/  - that one is really to show the reflectiveness - it's not like poly, as you can see, maybe a touch closer to nitro but still less glossy than that.  It's nice to look at though.  

And here is a satin, for comparison. 

Much easier to apply and get a great looking finish in my opinion, and my next project will be satin (going for a glittery black strat probably) but if I ever use a figured maple, I'll use gloss.  

Ooo, also, it cures loads over time - it's only fully hardened after a year or so! Sounds ridiculous, but it's playable after a few days after the last coat, so don't worry.  But as it hardens more, it levels a touch more and gets a tiny bit shinier.  I was pleasantly surprised when I returned from my holidays :) 

Once fully hardened, you could probably wire wool and buff it, but I won't bother - I like it as it is. 

Hope this is of some use! I love Wudtone, it's a brilliant, relatively easy way of getting average-to-excellent results at home without any nasty sprays.  It's all in wood prep, and you seem to have nailed that!
  • RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
    edited August 2014
    Have been following this as I am looking to get GSP to build me a thinline as well. Ever since I saw Jonny Lang's tele I have wanted one.  Looks to be outstanding quality so cant wait!
    The quality appears to be great @RichValentine, looking forward to getting this setup and ready to go :)

I'm also keeping an eye on the classifieds in case Grahame posts anymore bargains (don't tell the wife :D )
    Second clear dry now, nice subtle shine to it, tried to show it catching the light:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-7.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-9.jpg

Also checked the bridge would fit, as the mockup picture looked a bit odd, happy to report no issues!

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-8.jpg

Decided to do one more coat tonight, for protection more than shine, I'll then leave it to cure for a week and assemble the following weekend, I'll order some pickups today and a wiring kit :)
    Pickups and wiring harness ordered from Mojo.

I asked for Marc's suggestion and I've ordered the early 50's set (52 style).
    Final clear coat done, now the waiting game! As long as everything arrives on time, hoping to assemble next weekend :)

Tried to get the body to catch what available light there is out there this morning to show the shine it has, I will take proper photos once it's assembled.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-12.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-11.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-10.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-14.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-13.jpg
    edited September 2014
    Tort pick guard turned up, think I prefer the pearloid :)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-15.jpg
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    They both look great. I'm leaning towards the tort one though.
    Neck test fitted tonight, starting to favour the tort now too!

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Thinline TC/image-16.jpg

Pickups and wiring arrived today, the guitar should be alive tomorrow :)
  • Looks really nice mate, is it your first wudtone?  It looks much smoother and better applied than my first shot, where I put too much top coat on each coat!
  • Hadn't clicked on this as I prefer reading through build threads in one go. Glad I did, it's looking brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Looks fab with either pickguard, but I'm liking the tort more - with the maple fingerboard and light coloured body, it just seems to provide a bit more contrast, and a stronger look. I'm trying to resist the urge to build another tele, and this thread is not helping - heaven help me if GSP puts up another ad for thinlines... :D One slight concern I would have with a thinline is if it might be a bit neck-heavy on a strap - probably groundless, but would be grateful if you could let me know about that when the guitar is finished. Great job on putting this one together though, looks like the kind of "old faithful" guitar it would be nice to have around for years to come.
    edited September 2014
    Looks really nice mate, is it your first wudtone?  It looks much smoother and better applied than my first shot, where I put too much top coat on each coat!
    Thanks @ThePrettyDamned First go at a guitar, I did a terrible job with a neck kit before this, lessons learnt! I've found that instead of pouring the Wudtone into anything and dipping the rag / t-shirt in, I tip the bottle onto the material that's resting on my finger and apply in very small coats covering small areas :)

Hadn't clicked on this as I prefer reading through build threads in one go. Glad I did, it's looking brilliant.
    Thanks @stickyfiddle :)

Megii said:
    Looks fab with either pickguard, but I'm liking the tort more - with the maple fingerboard and light coloured body, it just seems to provide a bit more contrast, and a stronger look. I'm trying to resist the urge to build another tele, and this thread is not helping - heaven help me if GSP puts up another ad for thinlines... :D One slight concern I would have with a thinline is if it might be a bit neck-heavy on a strap - probably groundless, but would be grateful if you could let me know about that when the guitar is finished. Great job on putting this one together though, looks like the kind of "old faithful" guitar it would be nice to have around for years to come.
    Tort won out for me too in the end @Megii :) Once I get some strap locks in, I'll let you know how it weighs, sitting with it on my lap it's a touch neck heavy, but it's not like the headstock is making a dash for the ground, it sort of balances :)
    edited September 2014
    So 99% done!

Left to-do;

Pro setup (dropping off Monday if I can find the time), strap locks / buttons, string trees to be fitted and some bigger ferrules, the ones I have aren't big enough, they are currently just resting in place.

@GSPBASSES - You sell make very nice guitar kits, let me know when you are having another clear out...

Even without a decent setup, it plays pretty well, the pickups from Mojo sound great too!

Here it is :)

Some outdoors shots too :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks fantastic.  Great to read through this thread and see it all come together.