Cleaning gunk off fretboard

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I have some Montys wax I want to put on some guitars but, from lots of playing, some have gunk stuck to the fretbords. Are razor blades the best thing or is there a safer way to scrape the gunk off?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited May 2023
    An old credit card is a bit safer than a razor blade, both for fingers and fretboards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    smokers tooth brush
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7610
    I always start by trying naptha-based lighter fluid, but on a heavily gunked board that sometimes would need a lot of fluid and a lot of rags and rubbing because it evaporates quickly.  Some people use fairly netral degreasing domestic cleaning products and a nail or tooth brush, and wipe it off before it soaks into the wood, but I generally don't like water-based products near exposed wood on my guitars.  A safer scraper than a metal razor blade would be to try first with something like the sharp edge of a bank card or similar, but it's hard to get a sharp edge in close to the fret edges - often where most of the grime accumulates.  As long as you keep a razor blade vertical or leaning slightly so that the sharpe edge is dragging rather than pushing, there isn't a significant risk of you digging into the board.  If you have a board with some "patina" from age that you want to preserve, but need to remove actual gunk, then there would be less risk of scraping the patina off and taking it down to fresher wood with a plastic scraper.  Always use the blades with the rounded metal protector over one side.  A Stanley blade would work and has a safe side.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2562
    Cut the credit card so you’ve got a nice sharp point to get into corners
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2430
    a toothbrush with the bristles cut short and mineral oil /lemon oil.
    always works beautifully for me, the oil dissolves the gunk while "renovating" the board. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    elstoof said:
    There will be the added benefit of preventing you buying another bloody guitar
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    GuyR said:
    elstoof said:
    There will be the added benefit of preventing you buying another bloody guitar
    Sorry, wife found my log in details 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3821
    0000 steel wool does the job well. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10978
    tFB Trader
    0000 steel wool does the job well. 
    But mask your pickups on a non removable neck guitar - steel wool plays absolute havoc with them. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1506
    Step1) Create controversial thread

Step 2) Wait for vigorous debate

Step 3) Purge the heretics

Step 4)Profit?

In cae it was actual guitars you were talking about, credit card, toothbrush, naptha, water, oil,  - all do a job. Do not use milk or oats or isopropyl or hand gel or Fairy liquid. Personally, unless it's the jungles of Vietnam out there I'll just use damp cloth and elbow grease with a good album on in the background. The frets themselves do benefit from polishing etc.

Mask your pickups in any event when using steel wool imo - magnetic pickups and flakes of ferrous material go together like....
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2562
    Out of curiosity, how does tiny bits of steel wool stuck to a pickup affect the sound?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31828
    bertie said:
    smokers tooth brush
    Do you ask if you can borrow it or just sneak into their bathroom?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2023
    p90fool said:
    bertie said:
    smokers tooth brush
    Do you ask if you can borrow it or just sneak into their bathroom?

Wait until they're done with it of course!

elstoof said:
    Out of curiosity, how does tiny bits of steel wool stuck to a pickup affect the sound?

Dunno. Hardly at all I'd think. Neither would tiny specks of shite, but I'm not going to stuff the pickup cavitites with excrement and do a double blind test.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Someone totally should do this and report back. Youtube goes mad for this type of "scientific" content. Does anyone know Jim Lill?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    GoFish said:
    elstoof said:

Dunno. Hardly at all I'd think. Neither would tiny specks of shite, but I'm not going to stuff the pickup cavitites with excrement and do a double blind test.
    https://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/2016/03/pickups-and-steel-wool-an-amicable-separation/#:~:text=This can result in shorting,in the close proximity altogether.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BodBod Frets: 1332
    edited May 2023
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7610
    GoFish said:

Mask your pickups in any event when using steel wool imo - magnetic pickups and flakes of ferrous material go together like ....
    ...... rama lama lama ka dinga da dinga dong, Shoo-bop sha wadda wadda yippity boom de boom, Chang chang changitty chang, Dip da-dip da-dip doo-wop da doo-bee doo, Boogedy boogedy boogedy boogedy shooby doo-wop she-bop.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Ahhh ... there was me expecting a thread about getting rid of annoying members. As you were ...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72915
    elstoof said:
    If they also touch the strings, they make a highly annoying crackle as the strings move.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4261
    A thin regular razor blade if you can find one with some cardboard wrapped around it
      I had a particularly gunky neck & the credit card wasn’t sufficient . I found that the flex of a thin razor enables you to remove it without digging in , as said above you just hold it at the right angle 

A stiffer Stanley blade or card is more likely to dig in while the flex blade can just scrape off that annoying layer . Mine had got like it after heavy playing through the summer months