chris shiflett talks with alex lifeson about limelight solo.

What's Hot
racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1013
just saw this and thought some might like it 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEJuuKELzko
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1707
    Its great..

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 417
    I really like Chris Shiftlett - seems a lop lad.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1625
    edited July 2023
    Thanks for posting. An hour of pure joy dissecting one of the great melancholy solos ever.

This Shiflett series bodes very well indeed. Decent and very likeable interviewer - and big Al is such infectious fun, as ever.

FAO @gassage who i seem to recall being a big fan of this solo

• SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 730
    Alex Lifeson...for my money, overall the most underrated guitarist in rock history. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 480
    Got to be afave Rush solo. The Analog Kid is one of his best too, flashier but the end crescendo is sublime. Those later 80's albums have some excellent Alex playing. 
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 730
    Got to be afave Rush solo. 
    So many...the slow solo in the first section of 'The Necromancer'...the solo at 3:04 in '2112', pure melodic perfection...the solos in 'Jacob's Ladder', 'Freewill' and especially 'La Villa Strangiato' on 'Exit: Stage left'...'The Analog Kid'...'Kid Gloves'...'The Garden'...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 314
    Great video, thanks for posting  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got to be afave Rush solo. The Analog Kid is one of his best too, flashier but the end crescendo is sublime. Those later 80's albums have some excellent Alex playing. 

The Analog Kid certainly shreds. Personally I love that 80s era of Rush, definitely my preference. 
    Open Secrets solo reminds me of something Steve Vai would do circa DLR era.
    Emotion Detector is masterful too.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1013
    edited July 2023
    some of my fav alex solos are the analog kid version on different stages album (probably my fav solo ever). the big money and marathon to name but a few.

alex is my favourite guitarist for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwKv67qia1c

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

Having now watched this video (thanks for sharing @racefaceec90 ) it's worth a watch just for the initial interviewing from a clear fanboy... Alex is so great and humble
    My trading feedback

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1625
    Funny this coming out the same week as Andy Summers' Walking On The Moon pedal. I always suspected Al nicked the crucial Limelight sus chord from WotM and he finally admits it! 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    Alex Lifeson...for my money, overall the most underrated guitarist in rock history. 
    He was in a strange situation in Rush, in that Geddy and Neil were rightfully seen as complete masters of bass and drums respectively. Alex (no offence intended) was never really at that top table like they were, although a superb guitarist.

I have a problem with Alex though, for me he just soaked his guitar in waaaay to many effects through the second half of their career. I would love to hear some of those albums remixed with a very basic guitar sound like he had in the early days. All the world's a stage - what a kick ass live album!
    axisus said:
    He was in a strange situation in Rush, in that Geddy and Neil were rightfully seen as complete masters of bass and drums respectively. Alex (no offence intended) was never really at that top table like they were, although a superb guitarist.

I have a problem with Alex though, for me he just soaked his guitar in waaaay to many effects through the second half of their career. I would love to hear some of those albums remixed with a very basic guitar sound like he had in the early days. All the world's a stage - what a kick ass live album!

It wouldn't work, it wouldn't fill the space.. it wouldn't have that chiming brightness that it needs to cut through against the synths.

I love the transparency of his interviews. We all nick stuff get inspired by our musical influences.
    My trading feedback

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 480
    edited July 2023
    axisus said:

It wouldn't work, it wouldn't fill the space.. it wouldn't have that chiming brightness that it needs to cut through against the synths.

I love the transparency of his interviews. We all nick stuff get inspired by our musical influences.
    You can sort of hear the best of both when they played these songs live in the later years. This is a huge tone and sounds great, but nothing like the original. Another top Alex solo too from 3:27

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    axisus said:

I disagree, you remix the whole songs accordingly. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1391
    Watched it this morning. Not a fan particularly of AL but enjoyed it all the same. Series bodes well and Shifty always comes across as a big music fan. Interesting that he hasn’t created his own channel on yt
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    axisus said:
    axisus said:

wouldn't have that 80s sound though..

On the latter tours he was using AXE FX and a Wet n Dry set up.. I suspect that was the way to make it sound less in your face but still get the big sound with reverb and delays??

My trading feedback

• GassageGassage Frets: 31051
    axisus said:
    axisus said:

wouldn't have that 80s sound though..

On the latter tours he was using AXE FX and a Wet n Dry set up.. I suspect that was the way to make it sound less in your face but still get the big sound with reverb and delays??

Not quite. He was still using the G Force for the delays and the TC1210 for Chorus.
    All phasers from the Axe, and loads of back up.

The Tay Hawk he used a FM9 into his sig amp.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31051
    This is one of Alex's finest solos. He also admitted it was his Gilmour tribute having seen him shortly before the solo was recorded.

Re him as a guitarist, it's as much about his chordal work and fills as anything - he's an absolute master.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I haven’t got all the way through the vid yet, but I have so far learnt that AL and I have something in common…….

Q:  What’s your goto guitar shop lick?
    A:  Nothing really, just a bit of this (random, mainly pentatonic noodling, followed by an E major chord).

Yay!

Admittedly his noodling is a bit better than mine……..
    Although I think I’m better at the E major ;)