Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are G7 Capos better or just different?

What's Hot

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 396
    I literally just picked up a G7th Heritage last night. It was expensive, but I use a capo almost every day so I don't mind the outlay. I'll provide feedback on whether it was worth the $$ when it arrives in a couple of days. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    axisus said:
    That sounds like a mad amount of money to me for something that just holds the strings down. I bought a Kyser many years ago for about a fiver at the time and used it ever since.
    Theres so much more to a capo than that. A good capo allows you to bend strings and will return to pitch. Cheap ones dont.
    Fair enough I guess. I just use mine for fingerpicking acoustic stuff - no bends!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72822
    I don't have any problems bending strings with my Kysers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1117
    merlin said:
    This was the first video I found when I searched for "capo out of tune". Useful tip. 

I could only listen to him say "kay-po" 5 times then had to stop the video...
  • mo6020 said:
    I literally just picked up a G7th Heritage last night. It was expensive, but I use a capo almost every day so I don't mind the outlay. I'll provide feedback on whether it was worth the $$ when it arrives in a couple of days. 
    Ive tried many, in all price ranges.

The G7th Heritage is spendy, but by far the best ive used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I don't have any problems bending strings with my Kysers.
    no but some cheaper ones do. 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 261
    I’ve had a fair few and the g7th heritage was
    my fav of the lot.  Worth the money I’d say if you got an expensive acoustic I’d say get one.  Otherwise a kyser does the job.  I’ve got the same kyser I bought 20 years ago and still
    works the same…
  • I didnt like the G7th personally. Much prefer the radius specific Shubbs that I have, and tbh, also the Dunlop trigger capo. The latter is certainly the quickest for live where a quick changeover is needed. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72822
    I didnt like the G7th personally.
    Nor me. It’s beautifully designed and made, and *looks* like it should be the perfect one, but I didn’t like the way you think you’ve got it just tight enough, but haven’t, so you tighten it a little more, but then it’s too tight, so you have to release it and start again - which I found difficult without using two hands - and the slippery shape and satin texture which gives a tendency for it to fly out of your hand…

also the Dunlop trigger capo. The latter is certainly the quickest for live where a quick changeover is needed. 
    I only prefer the Kyser because having the hand grips above the fingerboard somehow feels more natural than behind the neck, to me - otherwise, it’s a good second choice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 396
    mo6020 said:
    Ive tried many, in all price ranges.

The G7th Heritage is spendy, but by far the best ive used.
    Yeh, it arrived this morning and I've been fiddling around in various different positions all day. I haven't had to retune the guitar so far, so well worth it as far as I'm concerned. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 775
    Thanks for all the feedback troops. 
    Think it’s a yes for me (OP). 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2430
    Reasons why the Paige capo is the best, part 43,521:

• It stays on the guitar permanently -- you just push it up behind the nut when not in use -- so you never lose it, drop it or have to hunt around for it on stage.

• It has the lowest profile of any capo I've used. Not so much of an issue in standard tuning, but in DADGAD etc there are some chord voicings where other capos really get in the way of the left hand. Try 010010 for example.

• You can easily adjust the tension precisely for whichever fret you're at.

Possible disadvantages:

• It won't work as a partial capo.

• Needs both hands to adjust it, though I don't really understand why this is a problem unless you're doing it mid-song.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7617
    I bought my lad one of the ones that you grip and it stays shut (whichever model that is) - it stopped working and at a guitar show I mentioned it to the guy on the stand and he just reached up and took a new one down and handed it to me. I liked that. 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited November 2023
    Just to finish off this thread as OP who posed the question.
    I have just been given one of these (G7 Performance 3) for my birthday - 68 - Thankyou.

Firstly it's a nice little object to handle. Not clunky like some capos.

Does it work? Yes. very well. You can use the strength of both hands to tighten it once you've positioned it. It holds tuning and does not cause the strings to buzz.

Does it work well on a variety of different neck widths and shapes. Yes.

Does it knock against Lt hand ? I've had lots of different capos. Screwy ones, rubber bandy ones, springy ones: and I think this is the one which knocks up against my Lt hand least. Jim Dunlop wrap-around elastic capos are good in that respect but fiddly to use. I think part of why the G7 is out of the way of the Lt hand is because you can position it mid fret and it won't buzz. Other capos you have to position nearer to the fret for them not to buzz.

Is it easy to use? Yes. I don't have any particular reason not to use both hands when fixing it in place and it's easy.

Is it good value? Yes I think it probably is.

Any criticisms? For this price a case or bag would be nice (although I shall use the bag from my present capo).

So - is it better or just different. Yeh; better I think.

btw this was my best Birthday Card 

How To Find Out If Youre Old Funny Birthday Card - Penny Black

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had an original G7 capo from way back and occasionally had issues with some strings sounding more dead than others. Replaced it with an Ernie Ball Axis capo which works much better and is less fiddly.
  • I've just got a G7 P3, after my other capos kept pushing my low-e off the neck of my 7.25" radius Fenders. First outing with it tonight so we'll see.

Do i literally just squeeze it hard to get the correct down-tension on the top and bottom e's?
  • I've just got a G7 P3, after my other capos kept pushing my low-e off the neck of my 7.25" radius Fenders. First outing with it tonight so we'll see.

Do i literally just squeeze it hard to get the correct down-tension on the top and bottom e's?
    Yes - press it firmly in place. If it’s not tight enough initially, squeeze it slightly firmer.
    I've just got a G7 P3, after my other capos kept pushing my low-e off the neck of my 7.25" radius Fenders. First outing with it tonight so we'll see.

Yep. 
  • Thanks both- did the job, quite happy with it!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2814
    Squeeze from the bottom, not the top. This way you are far less likely to pull strings out of tune. Just press the top onto the strings (trying to press down on the low and high Es) then bring up and squeeze from the bottom