Philip Sayce is now a PRS player

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 752
He played a Silver Sky at his London gig last year for one song. 

Now it’s official. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3821
    Cool. Another PRS endorsee I’ve never heard of. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4055
    You’d think they’d let him design his own Fender Stratocaster surely.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6995
    You’d think they’d let him design his own Fender Stratocaster surely.
    Lol, perhaps he wants a reverse headstock one ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1994
    Who? I thought he was the bloke that wrote curry books under the nom de plume Misty Ricardo. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 306
    Awesome guitarist. I bet he still plays mother more than a PRS though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7300
    edited March 8
    Great player but I’m guessing it’s tough to make a decent living in the blues rock genre nowadays (unless you are Jobo). PS from memory has always been associated with old Strats so I’m guessing that the financial incentive is as strong as the pull of the actual guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 752
    I once heard PRS say in an interview that Fender had the 2 best strat players ever (he was referring to SRV and Jimi) and he couldn't compete with that.

However, it seems that he has got (arguably) the 2 most influential strat players alive today (John Mayer and Sayce).

Regarding Sayce, if you like either/or SRV or Jimi then Sayce is the next best thing to holding a seance.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14647
    tFB Trader
    Phenominal player - Surely the first Welsh born lad to endorse a PRS - We had Davy Knowles from the IOM - Bernie from England, so now need a Scot and Irish born player to complete the set
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 8 tFB Trader
    allen said:
    I once heard PRS say in an interview that Fender had the 2 best strat players ever (he was referring to SRV and Jimi) and he couldn't compete with that.

However, it seems that he has got (arguably) the 2 most influential strat players alive today (John Mayer and Sayce).

Regarding Sayce, if you like either/or SRV or Jimi then Sayce is the next best thing to holding a seance.

I heard him talk, at a seminar, about pre PRS (mid 80's) and he can't compete with the birth of rock, and all that goes with it regarding such hero's how they have influenced so many afterwards  - Be it Cream, Kossoff, Woodstock, Led Zep etc - He said Jimi will never play one of his guitars, so you can only build for today - Such attributes have certainly helped Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker build such a legacy 

PRS have had a few great players that won't set the world alight with regards to main stream - Johnny Hiland and Mark Lettieri for starters - Be they are still influential to some of us and create awareness towards the brand 

Just seen this on the PRS page - Just about all unknown to me - But will influence someone   - Attentive Paul Reed Smith fans watching Superbowl LVIII no doubt noticed the McCarty 594 prominently featured during the halftime show. PRS Artist Erick Walls’ performance with Usher on Sunday night marks another chapter in PRS’s ongoing contribution to the biggest night in (American) football. PRS Halftime highlights from the past include Ricky Tillo with Lady Gaga in 2017, Mike Scott with Justin Timberlake in 2018 and who could forget the show stopping chrome Silver Sky wielded by Rob Gueringer during Super Bowl LVI. Last year, Donna Grantis appeared in a Crown Royal ad with Dave Grohl, shredding on her Purple Iris Special 22 through a cranked HDRX 20
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3373
    Hes been using Silver Skys for a while flipping between them and his old strats so this is great news. Hes a great player
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1971
    Phenominal player - Surely the first Welsh born lad to endorse a PRS - We had Davy Knowles from the IOM - Bernie from England, so now need a Scot and Irish born player to complete the set
    https://uk.prsguitars.com/blog/post/featured_artist_simon_mcbride ?
    tFB Trader
    exocet said:
    https://uk.prsguitars.com/blog/post/featured_artist_simon_mcbride ?
    There you go - I forgot about Simon - So just need a Scot now 
    tFB Trader
    allen said:

Would you not include Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Eric Johnson in that list 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324
    edited March 8
    Yes McBride has been playing PRS for years. I'm not sure how you would measure it but surely a lot more prominent than Sayce (playing venues ten times the size I guess). I feel there are probably quite a few names you’d put above Sayce in the list of influential living strat players. Clapton, Landau, Malmsteen, Shepherd and Johnson as mentioned, Cory Wong is hugely prominent and influential now, Frusciante,etc. 

Edit: I'm aware that as an argument it's a hiding to nothing! 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    Fantastic player and really raw and 'goes for it' and he's been around for a while.

A relic'd Strat seemed more aligned to the sound you hear coming from him but if it ups his profile, pays the bills, then fair play and all the best
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2434
    allen said:

I'd say if you're still playing 400 capacity venues after 30 years then you aren't THAT influential. Mayer of course is hugely influential...given...be it for guitars, gear and watches. Sayce is the 'better' player, but Mayer is the most creative and no one trick pony....love him or hate him. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4326
    Strat54 said:
    allen said:

I'd say if you're still playing 400 capacity venues after 30 years then you aren't THAT influential. Mayer of course is hugely influential...given...be it for guitars, gear and watches. Sayce is the 'better' player, but Mayer is the most creative and no one trick pony....love him or hate him. 
    Sayce is a great player in his field but I'd argue he's not really influencial at all, in so far as people gravitating towards him will have already been influenced by SRV, Hendrix, KWS etc...if they weren't already into that sound they would likely never find him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1194
    allen said:

Would you not include Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Eric Johnson in that list 
    Eric Johnson without a doubt.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is a bit generic IMO.  Doesn't bring anything new to the table and is about as vanilla a blues player can be.  He's pretty far to being in the category of "most influential strat player".   Just my opinion =)

I'd rank John Frusciante and even Cory Wong as better contenders for most influential strat players in the modern era.          
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24767
    allen said:

Mayer gets a lot of press certainly - but Dave Gilmore, Yngwie, Eric Johnson, Richie Blackmore, John Frusciante, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, Clapton, Nile Rodgers exist and are alive and all of them are more influential than Sayce.

And I like Sayce, but he's a mashup of Hendrix and SRV. He is a living influence, but not influential in himself.

I'd bet that even Cory Wong is above Sayce these days. There's a reason why Fender do a Wong signature model and not a Sayce one.

Mayer is arguable at the moment. Sayce isn't even a footnote as the other option.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom