Philip Sayce is now a PRS player

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    He's big on Instagram and can rattle off a high energy performance, but his USP was use of his vintage and well gigged Fender Strats... I'm not so interested in how a ragged new PRS can sound.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4962
    edited March 8
    57Deluxe said:
    He's big on Instagram and can rattle off a high energy performance, but his USP was use of his vintage and well gigged Fender Strats... I'm not so interested in how a ragged new PRS can sound.
    Sounds amazing on his Instagram posts, just like Phil Sauce in fact.

That would be a great guitarist name, but of course it should be Sayce! 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324

Boromedic said:
    57Deluxe said:
    Sounds amazing on his Instagram posts, just like Phil Sauce in fact.

I've not watched those posts, maybe I need to ketchup.

I'm here all week, try the fish. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2395
    edited March 8

I'm here all week, try the fish. 
    Does it come with Tartare Sayce?
    Hahaha, damn autocorrect and night shifts

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14647
    tFB Trader
    allen said:
    I once heard PRS say in an interview that Fender had the 2 best strat players ever (he was referring to SRV and Jimi) and he couldn't compete with that.

However, it seems that he has got (arguably) the 2 most influential strat players alive today (John Mayer and Sayce).

Regarding Sayce, if you like either/or SRV or Jimi then Sayce is the next best thing to holding a seance.

Mayer gets a lot of press certainly - but Dave Gilmore, Yngwie, Eric Johnson, Richie Blackmore, John Frusciante, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, Clapton, Nile Rodgers exist and are alive and all of them are more influential than Sayce.

And I like Sayce, but he's a mashup of Hendrix and SRV. He is a living influence, but not influential in himself.

I'd bet that even Cory Wong is above Sayce these days. There's a reason why Fender do a Wong signature model and not a Sayce one.

Mayer is arguable at the moment. Sayce isn't even a footnote as the other option.
    Don't disagree with you about your list (in bold) - But in some ways this is the issue - Those guys have had 20-50 years to earn their reputation - Granted they must have had something about them, in the first place, to acquire such an influential tag - But it appears to be hard for any/many new comer to join such list - Is this because there is nothing else left to say (I don't agree with this as it happens) or are we ignoring new comers due to history

But then how do we measure influence - Does it mean I like them - Does it mean they are 'better' than the rest - Does it mean they are more well known and more popular - Going back to the bold list I'd say only 2/3 on that list would sell out a gig at the O2 Arena London - Unsure Gilmore on his own would (ie not a PF gig), Yngwie wouldn't, nor EJ, Blackmore, Frusciante (again on his own and not as a C Peppers gig), Cray wouldn't, nor Guy - So that leaves us with Mayer, EC and Nile Rodgers with Chic (Not sure NR ever does a solo gig anyway and I'm not even sure Chic would sell out )

Then look at PRS Signature models (USA Core)  - I know the S Sky tops PRS sales charts, but unsure after that if Tremonti or DGT sits in 2nd place - I'm guessing DGT does - But how many have heard of Dave Grissom let alone heard him play - I suspect many DGT sales are simply because it is a good guitar and nothing to do with Dave - I recall when it was released it quickly earned the 'Dave who' tag
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23527
    Jesus, I'm not interested in arguing about which Strat players are the most influential, and those who say they've never heard of Philip Sayce, there's this crazy new thing called the internet...

I've seen Sayce live, actually one of the more recent gigs I attended.  He's great, lots of rock energy which won't endear him to the blues purists. 

The link to the PRS site redirected me to PRS UK and I couldn't find the announcement of Sayce as a featured artist, but it looks like he's using a stock Silver Sky, not personalised in any way?
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Jesus, I'm not interested in arguing about which Strat players are the most influential, and those who say they've never heard of Philip Sayce, there's this crazy new thing called the internet...

I've seen Sayce live, actually one of the more recent gigs I attended.  He's great, lots of rock energy which won't endear him to the blues purists. 

The link to the PRS site redirected me to PRS UK and I couldn't find the announcement of Sayce as a featured artist, but it looks like he's using a stock Silver Sky, not personalised in any way?
    I think that is an interesting point and something I thought of at the start of this thread - Wouldn't it be nice if they simply endorsed an off the shelf model - Why does it always need to be a 'tweaked' signature model (I do know why, so no need to send in answers on a post code)

If someone needs to fit 300K pots, a treble bleed mod, no middle p/up wired to a tone pot, or even different p/ups  - But would that really make it a signature model anyway - How many of us on here have carried out such mods - But in essence it would be great if they just had an off the shelf model
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3373
    Philly_Q said:

How is that different to the 99% of Les Paul endorsees who dont have signature models? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23527
    edited March 8
    Philly_Q said:

How is that different to the 99% of Les Paul endorsees who dont have signature models? 
    I'm not saying it is different from anything, I was just asking a question.
    edited March 8 tFB Trader
    Something else to consider - I recall an old interview with Matt Schofield - He turned up at the end of an international flight to collect his guitar + bag - His old Strat was missing - It turned out it had been directed elsewhere in error - Yes he got it back - But that suddenly scared the hell out of him - What if it really did go missing

Such guys, and I'm sure we can include Sayce in this category, are not earning big or even good money - So can't afford to loose 20-40 grands worth of old Strat - As such these guitars are finding that they spend more time at home and for studio work - As such guitars like a Silver Sky can become just another 'tool' to do the job - Part of the reason of the big success story behind Fender Custom Shop Relic models 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24767
    Something else to consider - I recall an old interview with Matt Schofield - He turned up at the end of an international flight to collect his guitar + bag - His old Strat was missing - It turned out it had been directed elsewhere in error - Yes he got it back - But that suddenly scared the hell out of him - What if it really did go missing

Such guys, and I'm sure we can include Sayce in this category, are not earning big or even good money - So can't afford to loose 20-40 grands worth of old Strat - As such these guitars are finding that they spend more time at home and for studio work - As such guitars like a Silver Sky can become just another 'tool' to do the job - Part of the reason of the big success story behind Fender Custom Shop Relic models 
    I've heard several artists say they want to be able to walk into a good music shop and just buy their model off the shelf and gig it, but in all honesty I'd expect a pro to be able to do the gig with anything that is close enough.
    I saw him on the recent UK tour as well @Philly_Q , he was exactly as you described, was a great show full of energy and great guitar playing. He is the closest to Hendrix/SRV in this era, absolutely. 

I think he's just playing stock Silver Sky's, he had one in reserve at the gig I saw but he never used it. I think he has some custom colours but nothing else has been tweaked. Tbh, it's a pukka Strat anyway, why it would need modding I don't know

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1194

I've heard several artists say they want to be able to walk into a good music shop and just buy their model off the shelf and gig it, but in all honesty I'd expect a pro to be able to do the gig with anything that is close enough.
    I've heard guitarists say this on Rig Rundowns and in the back of my mind I always think it's just subliminal marketing speak to sell more of their sig models.  My interpretation was always:  

"YOU can walk into a good music shop and just buy MY model off the shelf and gig it".