What to do about this horrific relic job?

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
I picked up a couple of guitars cheaply on eBay last week with a view to selling them on. One of them is this:

It's a Fender 50th Anniversary Duo-Sonic from 1996 (I think). It's incredibly light, the electrics work, the neck is straight, the action is low, it intonates well and it's a ton of fun to play. However, as you can see it has experienced a delicate yet noticeable process of light ageing from a blind person with an electric sander previous owner. 

The question is what, if anything, to do about it given that I don't want to keep it. Is it better to sell it as is, as a project? Or try to finish the job and give it some sort of natural finish and a new scratchplate? (The worst bit is the small area to the lower left in this photo which is somewhat gouged.)

The back is a particular highlight, thanks to a sensitive recreation of authentic buckle rash:

duosonic.jpg 936.6K
duo_back.jpg 941.4K
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7796
    Sell as project. Men love a DIY project (women love a man-as-project)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    If you're going to sell it, don't do anything that involves spending money - it won't make any difference to the value unless you were going to go completely over the top and have it fully professionally refinished.

A tiny number of people will think it looks cool like that.

A larger number will look at it as a project. God loves an optimist.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14568
    Stuckfast said:
    … with a view to selling them on …
    ICBM said:
    … don't do anything that involves spending money.
    I would go further and say don't expect to turn a profit on that one. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7381
    What's your best price for cash?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1473
    BillDL said:
    I see what you did there
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 353
    With that wear pattern, you probably need to be targeting a George Formby enthusaist...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1566
    I haven’t much of a business head, and also struggle with (the notion of) buying on eBay in order to sell on.

So my direction would be taking an investment punt via Rich Rendell. Have him strip and refinish it in nitro (little bit of tasteful ageing) and then market it as a genuine three barrel Duosonic (they no longer come with those stock bridges anymore) in nitro.

It’s possible you may get more interest that way - and also acquire a genuinely nice Duosonic.
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 224
    I would start a stealth advert on the main page and then keep it ;)

For investment I'd suggest starting a stealth advert on the main page and selling it as is on here. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11968
    BillDL said:
    £50 for the Fender.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    Is it poly? If so I'd leave it as is.
    If it's nitro you may be able to blend in a partial respray, but it'll be expensive to get it done professionally. I'd be tempted to get a few rattle cans of nitro and have a go, at the end of the day it won't end up any more of a project than it currently is
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 235
    I’d be interested to hear what pattern of use led to that pattern of wear. Answers on a postcard!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2427
    It's poly, I assume.

I'm tempted to treat it as an art project and paint it in a characterful way. What paint would work? Enamel?
    But to answer the question.. sand the paint off and varnish it? Spraying the body with nitro would not be a huge job. Shell pink? The wear on the neck still looks pretty unusual though
    mankytom said:
    But to answer the question.. sand the paint off and varnish it? Spraying the body with nitro would not be a huge job. Shell pink? The wear on the neck still looks pretty unusual though
    I don't think that's wear on the neck, it's just staining.

Thanks, yes I guess I was wondering how big a job it would be to sand and do a basic refinish. I have an electric sander and no discernible talent.
    If you go slow and steady with nitro there’s not much that can go wrong.. need to spray outside with a proper mask though
    Sounds like a plan. I guess you need to do lots of thin coats?
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 735
    If you're just going to flip it I wouldn't do anything.
    If you strip it the wood probably won't look great underneath. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1984
    mankytom said:
    I'm not sure you can just sand it down and spray it with nitro. Don't you have to put grain sealer on it and stuff. I think you still need to do this if you're going to use clear nitro. Plenty on here will know. Out of interest what's the going rate to have a guitar stripped and re-finishing? I'm guessing it will be in the regions of 250 to 300 but that's just a guess. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Stuckfast said:
    Sounds like a plan. I guess you need to do lots of thin coats?
    Exactly. There are good videos on YouTube about the process. I’ve sprayed a couple now and if you are patient it should come out ok. Thin coats, give it time to dry.. sanding and polishing is really satisfying too!
    https://m.youtube.com/@LoneStarGuitars

This guy was helpful (to me) - I am an amateur though.. I’m sure others on here are much more knowledgeable