Opinions on (used) analog/echo delay pedals, preferably with tap tempo option.

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
Howdee all. A well worn path for sure, but some advice or opinions welcome as there is just so much info online, it can be overwhelming at times!
I got a Boss GT100 and I'm going to use the digital delays, mods, other random occasional effects in this unit, but would like a standalone analog or echo after it, essentially something that is not available in the Boss unit.
I have an Eventide Timefactor. Brilliant as it is, I will move it on, as I'd possibly just use one setting off it, and would like to save on space etc.
I'm looking at the used market, and here are some pedals I have seen:

Strymon El Capistan V1: Pricey but looks like an excellent pedal, maybe the pick of the bunch?

T Rex Reptile Delay V2: Not expensive, and sounds ok, but maybe missing a bit of "character"

Tech 21 DLA Boost: Only came across this yesterday. Sounds pretty good, and I would guess the quality is good. It has a boost function as well. Interested to hear if anyone ever had one?

J Rockett Alien Echo: Sounds very good too, but no tap tempo

Line 6 Echo Park: built like a tank, lots of option

DOD Rubberneck: looks good too!

Nux NDD7: cheap and sounds good, but not sure how much foot abuse it could take over time

Universal Audio Starlight: bloody expensive and maybe overkill

Boss RE 202: possibly overkill

Dunlop Echoplex: sounds great, does one thing really well, but expensive for what it is and you don't see many on the used market

Akai Headrush: a random choice, but has a looper too, big pedal though

EHX Hazarai Memory Man: had one before, decent enough pedal too

Other options without tap tempo included a few Catlinbread options (belle epoch, akinedo), Ibanez mini analog delay (those little black knobs drive me mad in a live scenario though, you can't see a thing), 

Wampler also make a faux tape echo type pedal but no idea what it would be like. There are also brands like Foxgear etc making echo type pedals, but no idea what these are like.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 662
    edited April 11
    Mythos Oracle - super simple analog delay with tap tempo on board, or via extension jack. Sounds great and ideal for my purposes.You just missed one for sale on here though, unfortunately. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 808
    I'm currently in love with my Keeley Halo delay that has tap tempo and is simple to use, using the 8 presets. Seen they go for £200-£240 on the used market so still quite pricey but I honestly can't recommend it enough. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    Mythos Oracle - super simple analog delay with tap tempo on board, or via extension jack. Sounds great and ideal for my purposes.You just missed one for sale on here though, unfortunately. 
    Wsan't aware of this one!
    Neilybob said:
    I'm currently in love with my Keeley Halo delay that has tap tempo and is simple to use, using the 8 presets. Seen they go for £200-£240 on the used market so still quite pricey but I honestly can't recommend it enough. 
    Ooo, that looks interesting!
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1027
    What about the humble DD7. The 'analog' setting is very good and there's a 'modulated' setting too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8013
    I’ve tried a lot of the pedals listed, and my favourite by a country mile is the Strymon El Cap. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 328
    The Stone Deaf Syncopy is worth a look.

I had one briefly*, but the sound is excellent, and very versatile.

* it had some minor/strange instability issue with my PSU and I sent it back to the seller, but I assume? that was a one-off.
    edited April 11
    What about the humble DD7. The 'analog' setting is very good and there's a 'modulated' setting too.
    Yep, very true. Nothing wrong with the DD7. The GT100 has analog and mod settings, so guessing they are very similar to the standalone pedal?

I forgot to mention the TC Alter Ego 2 or 4 and the Ibanez ES3
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3999
    My personal favourite delay is the El Capistan and there’s some decent deals on the V1.

The Boss DD-200 is really good, and you could also consider then new Line 6 HX One. Good delays and much, much more as a bonus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My personal favourite delay is the El Capistan and there’s some decent deals on the V1.

The Boss DD-200 is really good, and you could also consider then new Line 6 HX One. Good delays and much, much more as a bonus.
    HX One is an option. I am trying to stay away from anything Boss related as the GT100 already has plenty of digital delays. I know what I am looking for is a digital emulation of an analog effect in any case...
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1027
    edited April 11
    The Lovepedal/Hermida tape echos come up fairly often and don't seem to cost a fortune. They always sound good in their demo videos.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 341
    El Cap is really good.
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 296
    There's the Diamond Memory Lane Jr which is digital but I think it's more of an analogue implementation or something. Anyway sounds good and has tap tempo. The modulation isn't quite the same in the latest reissues but they're still good.

The original Memory Lanes were analogue chips and so on, but they're discontinued and expensive now if you can find one. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 808
    Neilybob said:
    Ooo, that looks interesting!
    Check out this video, it's sooo easy to change presets, tap tempo and go infinite repeats all very the foot pedals. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7557
    I giggled an El Cap for a while and loved it

If simple is an advantage then a used Echoplex and a tap switch sounds fantastic (the one thing I wished was possible was to tweak the amount of modulation down a bit for my taste)

Currently have a Halo and REALLY like it. I underuse the features (use it Mono and only use 2 presets) but it sounds VERY good. 

Another one that's a good tap-able non-digital-sounding is the Mad Professor Dual Blue Delay - may need to look hard secondhand 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    I have a Jam Delay Llama MK3 which I'm going to list for sale whenever I get round to it. Analog delay with tap, and a momentary (hold it down) switch for self-oscillation. There's a useful multiplier linked to the tap for double-speed, dotted eighths, etc. 

https://www.jampedals.com/delay-llama/

It's super simple and sounds really good but I've never really figured out how to use delay in a band setting... I'm happy with just reverb, so letting it go. It's hardly been used, and comes with box and all the gubbins. 

PM me if interested and I'll send some pics.
    Some great recommendations there I had not thought of. I had a diamond memory lane before and traded it like a fool. It was the wider footprint, which I find way more comfy to use in a live scenario v the narrow pedals (the Walrus Audio Slo can be a tricky pedal at times, with the buttons close together)
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    I’m always amazed at how cheap the Stone Deaf Syncopy goes for second hand. Very power hungry (~400mA), but gives you midi, presets and the ability to bind any knob to an expression pedal. It’s not as lush as a Tonal Recall, but tap tempo, midi, presets, LEDs that indicate the current settings, and if you can grab it for £130 like the last buyer on eBay (and power it) I think you’ve got a great delay. You can probably sync it to the Boss to boot 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3010
    Delay LLama sounds lovely, the extreme version give you a bit more crazyness if you want that. The absolute best sounding delay I've had is an Ibanez AD202 but that's an old 80's rack thing with loads of BBD chips in it, I supoose the modern equivalent would be something from Maxon but I haven't tried one.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3305
    Some great recommendations there I had not thought of. I had a diamond memory lane before and traded it like a fool. It was the wider footprint, which I find way more comfy to use in a live scenario v the narrow pedals (the Walrus Audio Slo can be a tricky pedal at times, with the buttons close together)
    For a simple pedalboard setup, this beastie is so useable:

Note the MXR cover on the 'mix' control.