Ear Worms

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3106
    If I've finally cracked something or shifted a difficult situation at work, I get Sunshine of Your Love as I'm walking to the car. 

Recently I've had the outro of XTC's Generals and Majors on infinite loop. This doesn't annoy me as much as others tbf.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1993
    I get a lot of this. It's usually something i've been listening to in the car that day and can crop up over the next few days. It's never the full song and just a few short bars over and over again. I've now got an app on Alexa that has various soothing sounds and find that helps; Thunderstorm being my favourite. Another way is to just get it to play another random tune to hopefully neutralise the earworm. Earworms aren't harmless. You can wake up feeling really tired. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12215
    edited May 15
    Offset said:
    I constantly have the earworm problem.  The two longest-running are still tormenting me:

'Lay Down' by Mott The Hoople

'Turn It Down' by Sweet

I managed to rid myself of 'I'll See You In My Dreams' by Bruce Springsteen a couple of months ago, but worryingly it popped up on a playlist recently and it's threatening to return...

One I forgot (as I'm humming it now).  'Lullaby' by Billy Joel (with thanks to @Dominic ; )
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    At the moment it's the bass line from Walking in the Rain by Grace Jones.
  • At the moment it’s Doin’ The Do by Betty Boo, after revisiting songs I liked in my mid teens. So catchy. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11397
    As you get older earworms get worse.

Sometimes you not only can't identify the music, you forget what the bloody music you can't identify was in the first place.

Ghost earworm!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4939
    There is a simple cure for all ear-worms - just sing/hum/imagine "You're simply the best - better than all the rest", and your previous ear-worm will flee in terror in the presence of Tina Turner.

You're welcome.  :3

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 608
    I’ve had a similar problem to this recently. My problem is only when I’m trying to get to sleep though. 

I will get an (approximately) 8 bar snippet of a song stuck in my head going round and round and i get stuck in an endless cycle not knowing whether to attempt to sing the rest of the song in order to break the curse, or try to take my mind off it by singing a different song. Most recently this has been happening at around 5am every few days. 

From what i remember recently one song was Fly Away - lenny kravitz (first 8 bars of the chorus round and round) and also Plan B - She said (because I saw a band play a cover of it last week).

Maybe I need therapy :open_mouth: 

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 391
    RobDavies said:
     Pretend We’re Dead by L7…
    That one often comes to me, in fact it's just started up in my head so thanks for that. I've no idea why, I've never deliberately listened to them apart from that time in word camp.

I either have bits of songs I like or non sequitur two word phrases, they can last for days on and off.

• vizviz Frets: 10758
    The Bear Neccessitiies
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1896
    I have a guitar on my bed and just strum or pick the tune and it soon goes. Cycling or working I just hum a different song 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    I had the theme tune from boon stuck in my head for weeks earlier this year. I get this sort of thing a lot. I've considered self administered ect and lobotomies.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.