New digital form factors

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    AndyJP said:
    This is what I think the future of modellers is going to be.. The days of proprietary hardware are numbered.  So we want a generic floor controller device, onto which you can load 3rd party modeller software. It will obvs have powerful hardware, sharc processors etc.

You just reinvented the (laptop + midi controller) combination.  :)
    Nah, wouldn’t want to take laptop to a gig. Just want a quad cortex sized foot controller that does the lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8810
    dindude said:
    I’ve never understood why more don’t use encoder knobs that display a light ring as to the actual position of that preset, ...
    Cost and reliability
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31779
    AndyJP said:
    AndyJP said:
    This is what I think the future of modellers is going to be.. The days of proprietary hardware are numbered.  So we want a generic floor controller device, onto which you can load 3rd party modeller software. It will obvs have powerful hardware, sharc processors etc.

You just reinvented the (laptop + midi controller) combination.  :)
    Nah, wouldn’t want to take laptop to a gig. Just want a quad cortex sized foot controller that does the lot.
    Laptop or not, you're still advocating a bunch of grudgingly compatible parts and software developed by different companies - not a route I'd like to go down on stage. 
    edited May 15
    @p90fool ;It would work in the same way that you have plugins on your laptop from different vendors.

The tech will go this way whether we agree with this or not.  The question is who will build the hardware first?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24735
    AndyJP said:
    @p90fool ;It would work in the same way that you have plugins on your laptop from different vendors.

The tech will go this way whether we agree with this or not.  The question is who will build the hardware first?

The hardware is irrelevant if Fractal / Line6 / Kemper / NeuralDSP etc refuse to supply the software.

I cannot see them opening up that to third parties. The software is more valuable than the hardware units. I also find it unlikely that they would all agree on a unit design / specs.

And then there is development. After a physical unit has been released - one of the big 4 is going to hit the limits of that hardware quicker than the others and demand the physical unit gets updated even though the others don't yet need it. The unit won't be like a desktop PC where users can upgrade a part or two.

I think the only way it might happen is if Yamaha (owners of Line6) decide to buy the other companies and create a brand new line - but with an even more tightly controlled ecosystem. That would be quite disastrous really. 
    edited May 15
    Agree it's unlikely that Fractal, Line 6 etc would initially go for it.   But it would open up the market for new Vendors.

I'm a Software Developer by trade so I'm coming at it from that angle.   From a software perspective it makes perfect sense.

Hardware could be offered with a few different options much like a laptop.   

AndyJP said:
    Agree it's unlikely that Fractal, Line 6 etc would initially go for it.   But it would might up the market for new Vendors.

I'm a Software Developer by trade so I'm coming at it from that angle.   From a software perspective it makes perfect sense.

From that angle I see it - completely.
    From a shareholder / accounts  / legal position - I can't see it at all.

Even if the lower end players decide to go for it, there would have to be a seismic shift in perception to get them to be desired more than the big guys.

I get it can happen - Apple were laughed at by Blackberry when the iPhone came out...
    Line 6 already offer their software as Helix Native.    So they are pretty forward thinking in that sense.
    NeuralDSP do their plugins that are supposed to be on the QC!

IK do their pedal and a PC version of the Tone X.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7321
    AndyJP said:
    Agree it's unlikely that Fractal, Line 6 etc would initially go for it.   But it would open up the market for new Vendors.

Hardware could be offered with a few different options much like a laptop.   

I dont agree at all. If it were really something the market wanted then why aren't there more people gigging with a laptop and a midi pedal?

The hardware until itself isnt the entire value proposition. It's also the fact that you are buying a tightly quality controlled, curated set of models that work with virtually 100% reliability with known performance characteristics that all have the same workflow and UI.

A generic VST host built into a hardware controller isn't going to provide that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8810
    We should distinguish between three groups of musicians: the home player, the pub circuit, and the professional touring band member. Publicity from named guitarists drives sales at home and pub level, although their requirements for range of sounds, versatility, and reliability are different. 

A few years ago I would have said that touring with a laptop was asking for trouble, but here’s Paul Bielatowicz on stage with sound to midi running on his lap top. With the cost of touring increasing even Fractal Audio and Kemper will come under pressure from equipment which travels in hand luggage.

https://youtu.be/VhSYE_51vBo?si=7qyzcwXj9ngm0CsJ

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Didn't Def Leopard do with with Guitar Rig as well? Before they went Fractal..
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4163
    AndyJP said:
    Didn't Def Leopard do with with Guitar Rig as well? Before they went Fractal..
    I think Phil used Guitar Rig in the studio. I don't know if he used it live.