The Final Experiment: proving the earth is flat (or a globe)

What's Hot

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1060
    After the lengthy flat earth thread, there was some discussion and learning about what drives people to conspiracy theories

here's some links:

Why some people are willing to believe conspiracy theories (apa.org)

People Drawn to Conspiracy Theories Share a Cluster of Psychological Features | Scientific American

Who Is Likely to Believe in Conspiracy Theories? | Office for Science and Society - McGill University

Three tendencies were strongly correlated with conspiracy ideation, which is the inclination to endorse conspiracy theories. They were: 

perceiving threat and danger; 

relying on intuition and having odd beliefs and experiences; and 

being antagonistic and feeling superior. 

You can think of each as a pillar that supports conspiracy ideation and/or is nurtured by it, and each pillar can be looked at in more detail.

Thanks for that.  I've been thinking about this recently as I know a few people who have really got into conspiracy theories in recent years. I had a read of those links and they are quite helpful.  

It's mentioned in one of the articles,  but of the people I've known who are like this, a big factor seems to be anxiety,  or a traumatic life event that has caused anxiety. It's sad because generally they're not bad or stupid people, but they seem to get caught in this mindset that everything is a conspiracy.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12076
    scrumhalf said:
    Thinking back to David Aaronovitch's superb book "Voodoo Histories" about conspiracy theories you have to ask:
    Who benefits from suppressing "the truth" about earth being flat?
    How many people who know it's not round have to keep quiet in order for that to remain the prevalent opinion?
    What's the probability that such a wall of silence would remain?
    there was about 94 pages of this sort of discussion here, a couple of years ago
    To be fair it was SirAxeman on one side, and sane people on the other.
    Yeah, 
    but what surprised me was 
    1. How convinced we were that we could talk him out of it with logical discussion
    2. How it didn't work on him
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913

meme-Willfully-ignorant

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    drofluf said:
    OK all you smart “globe earthers” if the world’s not flat then explain maps. 
    Having studied Topographic Science at university which involved weeks of lectures on map projections, I'd really rather not. It's quite boring.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12076
    After the lengthy flat earth thread, there was some discussion and learning about what drives people to conspiracy theories

here's some links:

Why some people are willing to believe conspiracy theories (apa.org)

People Drawn to Conspiracy Theories Share a Cluster of Psychological Features | Scientific American

Who Is Likely to Believe in Conspiracy Theories? | Office for Science and Society - McGill University

Three tendencies were strongly correlated with conspiracy ideation, which is the inclination to endorse conspiracy theories. They were: 

perceiving threat and danger; 

relying on intuition and having odd beliefs and experiences; and 

being antagonistic and feeling superior. 

You can think of each as a pillar that supports conspiracy ideation and/or is nurtured by it, and each pillar can be looked at in more detail.

Thanks for that.  I've been thinking about this recently as I know a few people who have really got into conspiracy theories in recent years. I had a read of those links and they are quite helpful.  

It's mentioned in one of the articles,  but of the people I've known who are like this, a big factor seems to be anxiety,  or a traumatic life event that has caused anxiety. It's sad because generally they're not bad or stupid people, but they seem to get caught in this mindset that everything is a conspiracy.  
    this one is good too:
    Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories (verywellmind.com)

Someone I know who is into some has made millions, but is a bit thick

Explanations

Researchers suggest that there are a number of different reasons why people believe in conspiracy theories. Many of these explanations boil down to three key driving factors:

• A need for understanding and consistency (epistemic)
    • A need for control (existential)
    • A need to belong or feel special (social)
    As far as I can tell, he knows he doesn't understand lots of stuff people around him do understand, and then learns lots of these theories, then feels he has special knowledge that other people don'y have

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24788
    scrumhalf said:
    Thinking back to David Aaronovitch's superb book "Voodoo Histories" about conspiracy theories you have to ask:
    Who benefits from suppressing "the truth" about earth being flat?
    How many people who know it's not round have to keep quiet in order for that to remain the prevalent opinion?
    What's the probability that such a wall of silence would remain?
    there was about 94 pages of this sort of discussion here, a couple of years ago
    To be fair it was SirAxeman on one side, and sane people on the other.
    Yeah, 
    but what surprised me was 
    1. How convinced we were that we could talk him out of it with logical discussion
    2. How it didn't work on him

I WANT TO BUY:
    Fairfield "The Accountant" Compressor Pedal.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3880
    ewal said:
    drofluf said:
    Having studied Topographic Science at university which involved weeks of lectures on map projections, I'd really rather not. It's quite boring.
    Did the course cover the Topographic Oceans and their history?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9972
    I hope they've extended invites to flat earthers from all 4 corners of the globe
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19312
    drofluf said:
    ewal said:
    drofluf said:
    Did the course cover the Topographic Oceans and their history?
    Yes, all the tales.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

this one is good too:
    Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories (verywellmind.com)

Interesting what they said about trying to bolster someone's sense of their own worth/agency and helping them think about achieving their ambitions as a way of countering the conspiracy stuff.  This makes a lot of sense to me, as I can see that directly challenging someone's beliefs can often be difficult or counter productive.  
    Philly_Q said:
    I can relate to what he says about seeing a bit of your own beliefs in some of this stuff. When I've spoken to people who believe in Conspiracy Theories I generally find there's a part of it I can agree with.  For example , 'powerful institutions hide things from us' - well they do sometimes (see the infected blood scandal, Post Office scandal, etc.), or 'pharmaceutical companies are lying to make profits ' - yes they have done that (see the Opioid crisis in the US). 

So generally there's a bit of truth in the conspiracy, or just a feeling that something isn't right, which is a fair enough thing to think. And there are things which are real conspiracies which happen.  But then that feeling turns into beliefs which are clearly wrong and sometimes dangerous, and they end up thinking all sorts of mad stuff.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5118
    edited May 20
    Globists and Flerfers are both wrong.

Pellucidar is the the truth
  • steersteer Frets: 1218
    The Flat Earth Society is truly a global organisation. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    Reverend said:

And they're not telling us the truth about Mars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11411
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:

And they're not telling us the truth about Mars.
    I know, it's much smaller than it was when l was younger, you used to be able to feed a family of four on one. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5118
    They silenced Edgar Rice Burroughs, because he told us the truth
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    Update: 6 globe earth youtubers are involved in some way or other (actually going, or contributing ideas for experiments or whatnot); but no flat earthers have engaged with it, which is a right shame. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 800
    edited June 1
    Got to wonder if that's because they're worried about what they find, or they just think it's all fucking ridiculous. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    I think they know it’s going to be a pretty embarrasing and horrible 5 days for them. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.