Any Pipe Smokers?

What's Hot
NomadNomad Frets: 549

(To health freaks and evangelising ex-smokers: please don't derail this thread with your well-intentioned comments. Those of us that like a pipe have read the warnings, worked out that we're not immortal, and have chosen to have the occasional puff. Thanks.)

Do you smoke a pipe? What tobaccos do you like? Are you a flavour connoisseur, or is it more a case of you either like something or you don't? I'm the latter for the most part - I have no idea where all the super-subtle "notes" come from, although I do notice the differences when I open the tins.

I started just over a year ago with a cheap pipe from a local shop and some Mac Baren aromatic flake (Vanilla Cream and Navy Flake). I found that I wasn't keen on them - they smoked rather hot, and maybe a bit bitey on the tongue. They left a nice aroma in the room (especially the vanilla), but the supposed flavours weren't really evident when actually smoking them, so I switched to non-aromatics.

Germain's Special Latakia Flake is quite nice for a lighter smoke (although it gets a bit more intense - and smoky - towards the end of the bowl), and Peterson's Irish Flake for the 'fuller figured" experience. Also like Revor Plug, which seems quite similar to the Irish Flake, although maybe not so good on its own - it works well when mixed with some of the Special Latakia Flake for something between the two. Along the way I tried Peterson's Perfect Plug (quite good, but rock hard, and the Irish Flake is better), and St Bruno Flake (mainly because it can be picked up in almost any supermarket), but wasn't keen.

I was attracted to flake and plug from the start, on the assumption that they don't dry out as easily as ready-rubbed tobacco. That said, I've ordered some 5g samples of Dunhill mixtures along with some flake samples (and a couple of tins of Irish Flake) from Smoke King, so I'll see how they go. (I went for My Mixture 965 and Nightcap - wondering how they compare to the Special Latakia Flake.)

So far, Irish Flake seems to be my favourite, although I don't smoke it all that often. Planning to puff on it a bit more regularly, though, while I try the various samples that are coming. (Need a little change from the Special Latakia Flake, methinks.)

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    One be here! As you I started last year, as my friend bought me a pipe and some tobacco as a joke on my 34th birthday, since then I have come to really enjoy it have 3 high end pipes (one custom made for me ha!) and now get my tobacco imported from the USA,

my main tobaccos are frog morton which is amazing and American black and brown (which you can get in the UK) two beautiful sweet tasting tobaccos, but I have not had a pipe for a few months as to me its all about relaxing in the garden,,and that can't happen in this weather!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Couldn't do it myself, but Lord, love the smell of a pipe on the go!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Ex Pipe Smoker reporting for duty Sah http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk207/RStobbs/Pipes/1164191603_qdoqn-O.jpg ;

First thing I'd say is that the most common problems encountered by new Pipe Smokers are exactly what you reported "I started just over a year ago with a cheap pipe from a local shop and some Mac Baren aromatic flake (Vanilla Cream and Navy Flake). I found that I wasn't keen on them - they smoked rather hot, and maybe a bit bitey on the tongue."
    This is usually down to a few easily remedied things. Firstly, how you have packed the tobacco, and how fast you are drawing on the pipe, secondly, Aromatics.
    The packing of the pipe is usually where the mistakes happen, often people pack the tobacco just a bit too firmly, this makes the tobacco burn hotter than it usually would and that is the cause of tongue Bite, also, slow down on the number of times you draw on it, to use the awful expression, you are supposed to sip the smoke, this comes with time and experience and you'll find you start doing it without any conscious effort.
    Aromatic Tobaccos can be the very devil, especially any of the ones that are cased with cherry toppings.

Peterson Tobacco used to be a go to tobacco for me, University Flake is rather kinder on you than Irish Flake, so may be worth a try. I loved their PPP but found the quality could be somewhat inconsistent and needed re hydrating straight from the tin. Latakia based blends can suffer from this, but rehydration is easy enough, just pop a thin slice of apple peel in your pouch with the tobacco.

My favourites used to be Balkan Sobrani, Dunhill Nightcap, St Bruno Flake and anything that contained Perique.  This site will prove invaluable http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse

Like everything else in life, experimentation is the key and tracking down new tobaccos can be great fun.
    I now vape and the same thing happens in this too, searching out new and exciting flavours is all part of the fun. If I can help out at all drop me a PM
    Cheers
    Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wisdom to Rob,

It took me a good few months to get to pack it right, but when you do the difference is night and day.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
    edited January 2015
    Smoking pipe tobacco does not seem like the greatest idea... Many health consequences for what seems like minimal reward. That's why I stick to smoking Crack and Meth in my pipe.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I've got a hash pipe, I like to pretend I'm Gandalf when I smoke it.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15616
    one of my few regrets about quitting smoking is that, now that I'm of an appropriate age, I can no longer smoke a pipe.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6156
    VimFuego said:
    one of my few regrets about quitting smoking is that, now that I'm of an appropriate age, I can no longer smoke a pipe.
    Ditto... my dreams of sitting in the corner-nook of my local, supping on a pint with my Labrador at my feet is now quite literally a pipe dream.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The pipe is what I miss most about quitting tobacco. And snuff.

Kentucky nougat was a favourite.
    My V key is broken
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
    holnrew said:
    The pipe is what I miss most about quitting tobacco. And snuff.

Aye, you can't beat a nice relaxing pipe while you watch your favourite movie.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15616
    my old man was a life long pipe smoker, so I grew up with the waft of pipe tobacco, hence I have an affection for the smell of a pipe. Of course, he dropped down dead at 70 from a massive heart attack, so possibly nostalgia is not the best recommendation.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• After reading this, I want to start smoking again after 7 years lol.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Former pipe smoker but not for many years now.

Sobranie Balkan mix was a firm favourite, I started on the aromatics and progressed to the tasty flavourings, it seemed you couldn't have both.

The whole gadgets with it made it a great bloke type hobby. I had a brass zippo pipe lighter and a couple of pipe knife/tools too. Once you got a new pipe bedded in it was therapeutic to a degree.

I remember being told that pipe smoking was more of a soluble way of ingesting nicotine and also that mostly the tobacco was sun dried rather than the nasty oven dried ciggy stuff with all it's entrapped poisons.   Still I'm glad I'm off the stuff and feel better for it, just wished I'd quit earlier or not started.

• fuck yeah daddio image  :P
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

I love the smell of pipe smoke. If they made a sort of tobacco / cancer free* version I'd be all over it.

* I'd also like the moon on stick

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• mrchi said:
    ...since then I have come to really enjoy it have 3 high end pipes (one custom made for me ha!) and now get
    Pipe GAS?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha indeed sir indeed
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    I was stunned when I sold off all my Tobacianna items. Mucho ££££ which has slowly been reinvested in some top end vaping gear :))
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    The only pipe i ever smoked was one with weed in it, i have never even been near a pipe smoker.

A well meant, serious question.............Do you lot inhale ?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question but i've never known.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Very unusual to inhale - it's really about the flavours and maybe a little nicotine absorption.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...