What's your goal?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• This year apart from learning more band songs and gigging (yay) I'm going to pick songs apart more, focus more on arpeggios rather than scales, and focus on my picking by learning Yngwie's Rising Force (album or song lol).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 367
    -Up my jazz game methodically and patiently
    -Tidy and jazz up my few shred chops
    -Play enough gigs to: 1. Gain more experience 2. learn to manage body tension on stage 3. not to bother about my performance and how others perceive me as a player on stage so I can have more fun 4.earn back what I've spent on gear. 
    -Become more musical than technical
    -Adopt a healthier living style overall so I can make weekday jazz jams without feeling exhausted
    -Go to as many jazz jams possible and don't feel intimidated by the better players around me
    -Work on my pentatonics & legato
    -Gradually become an option for local musos looking for guitarists
    -Become a bit more friendly towards home recording 
    -Stay focused on the above and try to have fun in the process 

That's enough for 2, 3 years I think,,
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    currently, all the guitar does for me is giving me an incentive to explore new (old) music. What I really would like to do is play with other people again - in particular as I see myself as mostly a rhythm player, and one interested in playing stuff that really only works in a band context. Ideally, it would be just to play for ourselves and learn songs as I don't have the time to commit to a gigging band and no particular desire to submit myself to the logistics of gigging. This would give me a goal to work towards, rather than just learning random bits here and there. 

However, I realise that this won't happen, in particular as I don't know any other musicians in the real world anyway ...

I guess I'd rather play some blues ;)

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    NPP said:
    currently, all the guitar does for me is giving me an incentive to explore new (old) music. What I really would like to do is play with other people again - in particular as I see myself as mostly a rhythm player, and one interested in playing stuff that really only works in a band context. Ideally, it would be just to play for ourselves and learn songs as I don't have the time to commit to a gigging band and no particular desire to submit myself to the logistics of gigging. This would give me a goal to work towards, rather than just learning random bits here and there. 

However, I realise that this won't happen, in particular as I don't know any other musicians in the real world anyway ...

I guess I'd rather play some blues ;)
    What about going to some jams @NPP not something I've done, but it looks like an option for you-limited time, blues player. Ask around on here, someone may be local to you and point you in the right direction.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    My goal out to be to stop buying more gear and to improve the use of  the stuff that I have already got. however, this is never going to happen.

Really though I just love playing the guitar, so my goal is just to play, write and record as much as possible. The days of having specific technical aims etc are past for me, too many other things competing on my time, so now every moment of playing the guitar is purely for my own satisfaction :) Got a few gigs booked for 2015. Nice way to be.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

my goal is actually for someone else..

one of my students [when he first started with me] was really really struggling.. he's a lovely guy and tries so hard... by the end of 2014 I managed to get him to play in time to a few songs, he nailed the G major scale and G pentatonic all over the neck, could play most basic chords.. and the week before crimbo he managed his first bends and a nice solid vibrato..

by the end of this year I want him to be able to play along to a solo at full speed.. nothing too tricky.. but that don't matter.. just to get him up the fun end of the neck and take his first small steps up there would be absolutely fkn awesome..

I'm so proud of this guy.. he's not the most capable of my students, but he's done so well so far..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    1. advance my jazz soloing ideas.
    2. develop some tasteful shred licks, work them up to speed and incorporate them into my playing so that I can really tear it up when the song calls for it.