Best guitar for a grand or under?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Don't start me on the state of the second hand market in N Ireland, or the music shops... or most of the people.  Sorry I think I need to go and lie down now. :x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    LOL

also it probably works better if you don't live in an area where you get a punishment beating if you lowball the seller
    :-w
  • PRS S2? Mira & Starla's 'street' price is under £1000. Tone World are advertising the S2 Custom 24 at about £1250.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    The best bang for the buck SH guitars IMO are:
    • Vintage Yamaha SGs and high end pacificas
    • G&L guitars - Recently bought an ASAT myself
    • Heritage - As good as Gibson custom shop, but stupid prices SH
    This. With the addition of a well-chosen secondhand Gordon Smith as well (I hear horror stories about mismatched four-or-five-piece bodies, but mine is fucking amazing). 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    Second-hand, obviously... some that are probably pretty good:

- 1990s Patrick Eggles
    - 70s and 80s Japanese stuff - Yamaha SGs, Ibanez Musicians etc
    - MIJ Ibanez RGs - anything from the old RG550s to modern Prestige models.
    - Carvins

Possibly controversial but you could get certain mid-to-late 70s Gibsons or Fenders for under a grand, many of which would probably be really, really good. If it was my money, I might well end up with an old Gibson L6-S.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    With obvious caveats about depending on what you like & want from a guitar, I'd consider an MJT build. At £1k you'd get pretty much anything from them, including import costs and a good tech here to put it together for you.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    With obvious caveats about depending on what you like & want from a guitar, I'd consider an MJT build. At £1k you'd get pretty much anything from them, including import costs and a good tech here to put it together for you.
    That's a good shout too, actually.

In America a new Carvin is also a good option at that price... shame they cost about twice as much over here.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Some great suggestions and I too agree with monquixote those G&Ls can be a bit special.
    Given that you are a self confessed Fendery man, then something like a used 52 AVRI will come in under a grand and probably excite you as a player whilst retaining it's financial value for the future.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    thomasw88 said:
    Levinson blades rock my world.. Have 3 0f them now (2 starts, and a tele). Replaced my fenders, lawsuit tokai springy sound etc. superb guitars and 2nd hand prices are bonkers cheap..
    Totally agree, also own three Blades (RH4, 62TV and T2 ) , great guitars and so under rated
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    +1 on a second hand Godin

Great guitars and worth so much more than their second hand value. 

For 1000 though you can get a damn good fender, IBBY, Jackson.... Pretty much anything to be fair.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Hell, my '04 USA Tele has all but cured my guitar GAS. I think I got lucky with a good example as it smokes other US Teles I've compared side by side for pure playability. I'm almost disappointed if I have to use a different guitar.

Cost me £425 and a bit of petrol money. Bargain.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    IanSavage;7097 said:

This. With the addition of a well-chosen secondhand Gordon Smith as well (I hear horror stories about mismatched four-or-five-piece bodies, but mine is fucking amazing). 
    I've never heard a bad word about a Gordon Smith, and the early prototype Galaxy my ex-bandmate owned was one of the most jaw-droppingly nice instruments I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I think they're a great shout for this list!
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Guild S100 Polara?