Thank you, Mister Jooky, for the hard wax oil.

I just wanted to say 'thank you' to @jookychap for kindly sending me some hard wax oil, and to prove that I had actually (finally) done what I'd said I was going to do with it, and not just drunk it or painted furniture or something.

I know this sort of finish isn't everyone's cup of tea, and nor am I pretending that this is anything other than a rather hamfisted job on my part, with plenty of mistakes, but I likes it regardless, and well, there you are. Hopefully I'll get it screwed together into something playable this side of Christmas, but I wouldn't have got on with it without Mark's kind gift, so thank you very much :)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2832/10706785744_a46d3e72c6.jpg
Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    No worries - looks pretty to me :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Thanks Mark :) I really like it (despite all the bits that didn't go quite to plan) and, as you said at the time, a little goes a long way with the hard wax oil - there's plenty left for the next one in line (a hardtail Strat), and possibly that bass too...

Cheers :)

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited November 2013
    Looks good to me. :)

Where did you get the body from, if you don't mind me asking?
    @ddlooping thanks :) The body's a Guitarbuild one, IIRC I got it from him via eBay (and if I'm completely honest, I think it was more than a couple of years ago - it's been waiting patiently for a while now)

• Thanks for the info. ;)
  • Looks a really professional finish :) Andy
  • Looks really nice, different but with a vintage vibe. I like!
    Thanks for the kind words all :)

Hopefully I can get some hardware on it next week, and gather my nerve for drilling the neck...

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Looks great. What sort of oil is it? I'm just finishing my first complete build and looking around at different finishes. I've done a few partscasters in Tru-oil which I'm pleased with, but fancy a change for this next one.
    @dean2371 cheers :)

IIRC I had heard about the Fiddes HWO & asked about it on Emp's intermediate forum twixt MR and here; Mark answered my query and kindly sent me most of a 0.25L can of the Blanchon hard wax oil (link to an eBay seller). I guess I've used maybe a quarter of the can in giving two coats to the body, so it's pretty economical.

I seem to remember @Wezv advising the purchase of a decent lacquer brush to apply it; I suspect the reason (other than my lack of skill) that the sides of the body don't look as nice as the front is because I was a bit too skint to follow his suggestion. I intend to remedy this prior to tackling the next one.

What are you building?

• Looks lovely that! Will we see a full finished project photo?
  • Looks good to me too. Do you think that hardwax oil is the medium for the Wudtone finishes? It seems very similar in performance.
    Thanks for the details, I'll have to get some. I'm building a sort of more pointy strat type dual humbucker sharp headstock thing for my son, which he designed and drew templates for. I thought I'd use it to practice before I have a go at a Tele with neck P90 for myself. I'm just arriving at finishing stage, nearing the moment of truth when I get to find out if my carefully built neck and body do actually fit together in a way which allows me to attach strings and play the thing! Bear in mind that until I started this build I had never seen a router and hadn't held a chisel for 40 years ( it didn't go well then as I recall).

I must also thank Jooky as he gave me the wood for the body, a load of clamps, some templates and a router plus plenty of other tools. He is an exceedingly generous chap! I also have another plank from him which is destined to become a Tele. Or perhaps I should curse him as it was meeting up with him when I bought a couple of guitars from him and learning of his exploits which got me motivated to have a go at a full build myself. I have to say I've really enjoyed it (so far) and feel rather pleased with my efforts.
    edited November 2013
    Looks lovely that! Will we see a full finished project photo?
    Thanks! Yes, once I get it done, I'll update the thread with a picture. Hope no-one's too offended by the lack of Tele-ness about some of it...

@Guitarmonkey thank you :) I couldn't say about Wudtone tbh - I've never used it. I was considering it for this build but decided against, mainly because of cost. A Wudtone kit seems to be about £20-25, and does one guitar, whereas the hard wax oil I was looking at originally was £25 for a litre - I thought for spending about the same amount, I could probably finish all my outstanding projects (to a standard I'm happy with, anyway - and of course all in the same colour :) ), and get some brownie points in by refinishing some of the furniture that the kids have battered too...

@dean2371 they both sound cool projects - will you pop up pictures when you're ready? It'd be great to see how far along you are. And yes, Jooky is very good at providing inspiration over here too - amongst the many 'for the future' ideas I've pinched from him, I have to have a go at covering an instrument body in fabric, and then there's the bass, and then of course... Oh dear :)

Here is a shot of my son with his guitar. The neck is clamped there waiting to be aligned and the holes drilled, which I've now done. Finishing next. There are many mistakes but overall I'm pleased so far; lets hope the final stages go well! I hope to start the Tele in the next couple of weeks.image
    @dean2371 very nice :) And doubly impressive if you hadn't undertaken woodwork in forty years before making it - my hat is off.

Are we allowed more pics as you progress with this, and then the Tele, please?

thanks for the kind comments. We've been taking lots of photos; here is a link but be warned that there are 97 of them so far!  Lots of very similar shots I'm afraid.   http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/dean2371/library/Alex Guitar Build

I started the Tele today. I have a nice piece of sapele, which I cut in half and have glued and clamped. It will take a while as I'm busy at work, but I'm looking forward to sorting it over the next couple of months.
    Looks awesome :) I do especially like the neck heel joint - very nice. Will you be putting up a build thread once you're done?

Assuming it is actually playable rather than just expensive firewood, I'll put something together. Thanks again for the comments.

Simon