Twang Corner

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    This thread needs bumping...

Takes a while to get going, but it's a good one when it does :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was thinking it should be keapt up too. Guitar sound in the Shakira vid is excellent. Also liked that Black Angels, saw them with The Black Keys once & actually liked them better.

Here's The Kreeps

• Clearly been neglecting this corner. Listened to a few Bo Diddley things the other day. Much more varied musician than I think he is often credited with. Struggled a bit to find stuff on YouTube ( and on a tablet so getting those not enabled for mobile messages) but going ahead anyway. 

B-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • And on a slightly different note I cant believe I haven't found an excuse to post this, the bit of music that inspired a thousand telecaster review clips:

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    Clearly been neglecting this corner. Listened to a few Bo Diddley things the other day. Much more varied musician than I think he is often credited with. Struggled a bit to find stuff on YouTube ( and on a tablet so getting those not enabled for mobile messages) but going ahead anyway. 

B-)

And on a slightly different note I cant believe I haven't found an excuse to post this, the bit of music that inspired a thousand telecaster review clips:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited November 2013
    Was meaning to post this last time twang corner was at the top.

Mr Richard Thompson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh, @NervousJohn great suggestion. RT has been my great discovery in the last couple of years ( only about 30 years late  :o3 ).
  • And then there's alternative twang from Wall of Voodoo

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301

The mare that is trying to get this forum to work properly on my tablet continues. Anyhoo, The Madeira: picking up where surf left off in the early sixties, trying to show it is not just stuck in a time warp. Kinda thing.
  • Twang with Balls

And some tele twang

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WTF is that double neck thing behind him? An actual guitar or just a prop?  :bz

The mare that is trying to get this forum to work properly on my tablet continues. Anyhoo, The Madeira: picking up where surf left off in the early sixties, trying to show it is not just stuck in a time warp. Kinda thing.
    that was just the first clip of theirs I came to. But just to extrapolate further I think their argument is that surf and that original wave of guitar instrumental music ( they are big fans of the Shadows)only had a short life span which was ended by the British invasion type stuff and then guitar tones going down the distorted route. I remember something similar from Dave Edmunds who said the potential of rock'n'roll ( in a Chuck Berry, Elvis sense not in a Kiss,Motorhead sense)was never really realised as soon as guitarists started plugging into fuzz boxes.So these are both (related) musical forms that only really flourished for a short while and then became almost instantly retro and maybe never achieved their full potential.In Dave Edmund's solo/Rockpile stuff, for example, you can hear how he was taking some of the elements of classic rock'n'roll and putting them into a more modern ( at the time)context. 

A sort of what would have happened to electric guitar if distortion hadn't been discovered line of thought.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Jace Everett's Bad Things (title music for True Blood) nice bit of twang there!
    drwiddly said:
    Jace Everett's Bad Things (title music for True Blood) nice bit of twang there!
    Can't argue with that. Covered it with the band that never was although it sounded a bit empty with one guitar.

Anyhoo, heard this earlier - great tremolo even if maybe not truly twang. They are playing in Birmingham in July, might go have a look

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    WTF is that double neck thing behind him? An actual guitar or just a prop?  :bz
    It's a bit like a Joe Maphis Although it doesn't look as fancy, and the headstocks have a Danelectro Bellzouki look about them.
    just watched this very clip on BBC4. I presume it's Honeyman Scott on guitar? Just great. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    I presume it's Honeyman Scott on guitar? Just great. :)
    Yes.

I wonder if he used the Firebird on the recording, or just for the show? I always thought the guitar on it sounded like a Rickenbacker, but it's easy to be wrong about these things!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    NervousJohn;83688" said:
    Was meaning to post this last time twang corner was at the top.

Mr Richard Thompson

Wisdom awarded.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    ICBM;283895" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I presume it's Honeyman Scott on guitar? Just great. :)

Yes.

I wonder if he used the Firebird on the recording, or just for the show? I always thought the guitar on it sounded like a Rickenbacker, but it's easy to be wrong about these things!
    I bet Johnny Marr was watching TOTP (and listening very hard) that night.