Recording Youtube Demo Vidoes

What's Hot
Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
Hi Guys I need to record some demo videos for youtube, so far my efforts have been disappointing. I now have Cubase, a range of mics and a digital video camera, only thing I have yet to find to my satisfaction is decent video software that wont break the bank. Anybody got any suggestion, one local practice studio here use Adobe Premier.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2095
    Do you want loads of editing or just a straight video?

Mac or PC 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZX06U51zA

That ^ shows how do in Reaper but Cubase can do video editing as well.

Dave.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    Just want to align audio to video and then trim/remove sections of the video and add some titles, so nothing overly complex.

will check out reaper. I have tried importing video into cubase and so far it has not worked properly, that would be ideal though

thanks guys
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    edited November 2015
    Lightworks is an excellent free video editor used on some big hollywood films. An hour on youtube and you should have the basics nailed.

Sony vegas or whatever they are calling it now is also pretty accessible; so much so our drummer has mastered it. And he just hits s**t.

Premiere is powerful but expensive, and premiere elements is decent and cheap but not worth it over the free lightworks. The sony one costs similar to premiere elements but its so easy to use ive heard drummers can use it. And they just hit sh*... forget about it.

If on a mac my vote is still lightworks unless you are willing to pay 200 for fcpx. If you have that dosh lying around then do it. To sync things you just press a button and it does it. Thats worth 200 pounds of anyones money.

Lightworks is limited to 720p which may or may not be an issue.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• I found lightworks incredibly crashy. I went back to reaper in the end.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    tFB Trader
    Brilliant thanks will go have a look at those on Youtube
    tFB Trader
    ok after trying several programs out I have got Adobe Premier Pro and it is very good with lots of good Youtube tutorials. it manages massive video files without stalling or crashing, I could not believe how much better it was compared to some of the others.

So I am recording direct to DAW and then syncing with the video and editing. still have lots to learn, got to work on lighting and backgrounds and all that professional stuff but this was my first effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtWdSkssX70&feature=youtu.be
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26825
    edited February 2016
    Use the Chappers method for syncing audio to video - just clap at the beginning while the camera and mics are recording, then you can zoom in using your software (I use Sony Vegas on Windows, kdenlive on Linux) and match the waveforms from your camera mic and your real mics to sync it perfectly.

Aside from that...the key thing is to get your lighting right. If you think you've just about got enough light, add some more. Proper lighting will make the end result a hell of a lot sharper. Your video software should have some tools built in to correct the colour balance - that's a pretty important step, so don't skip it.

You also might want to consider adding a tiny bit of room reverb; not enough to make it an "effect", but rather just to make it sound more natural.
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    I line the sound up as best I could for this one, I didn't think it was too bad, maybe you thought it odd. I have seen the hand clap trick before and forgot to use it here, it wasn't a chappers trick when I saw it, I will look his one up.

I used an old DSL for this so the video quality is poor, got Canon 70D for the next one so hopefully it will be better next time.

Agreed on the reverb, I did fiddle with it a bit but it was a fine line between been ok and not

thanks for the feedback!

• I used an old DSL for this so the video quality is poor, got Canon 70D for the next one so hopefully it will be better next time.
    You'd be surprised how much difference good lighting makes - when I did my video with Mr Chapman (shudder...and no, I'm not going to post a link - in fact, if anybody does, I'll probably delete it...), the lights were pretty painful and I thought it was going to be ridiculously over-exposed - however, it came out looking perfect and sharp as anything even in a crappy room.
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    ok good to know, I made a lighting rig but know I need more.... much more

you know that if you don't post a link I will watch every Chapman video looking for the worst one in a small room and assume it you with him! :)
  • Well, in lieu of that, here's a video from him explaining how he makes and edits videos:

<space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    nice diversion!

tFB Trader
    Thanks

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7593
    Use the Chappers method for syncing audio to video - just clap at the beginning while the camera and mics are recording, then you can zoom in using your software (I use Sony Vegas on Windows, kdenlive on Linux) and match the waveforms from your camera mic and your real mics to sync it perfectly.
    'the Chappers method' ?? 

think I'll call walking by putting one foot in front of the other the TimmyO method of getting about :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Does the TimmyO method have swag? just want to make sure I do it right.......
    Does the TimmyO method have swag? just want to make sure I do it right.......
    It depends.

for normal perambulation I play "Good Times" in a loop in my head and adopt a suitably swung rhythm swagger.

If I'm in a hurry I skip mental tracks to Earth Wind & Fire's "September" - hustle with style. 

Choose your own tunes as appropriate ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I actually do this 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    'the Chappers method' ?? 

think I'll call walking by putting one foot in front of the other the TimmyO method of getting about :-) 
    OK, perhaps would have been better put as "the way Chappers does it". Just using a name most people know :)
    <space for hire>
    Indeed. I was in dick-ish mood is all 
    Red ones are better.