Terrorist threat, does it bother you

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
......and if so how much?

I appreciate that we have many here who have no choice but enter a large city every day for work but would the latest threat stop you from doing things you usually wouldn't think twice about?

If you had a show/sporting event to attend next week would you still go? If you had an unusually long journey to make by train would you still go? Would you get on a plane? Would you let your loved ones do everything they would normally?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I don't usually have much concern because I tend not to be in big cities or at major events. We're traveling on the Eurotunnel this weekend though, which gives me a little concern. Though security bottleneck will be the bigger issue I suspect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    My son went to college in Nottingham on the train the day after the attack and I didn't think anything of it until later when I was in the car and suddenly had a bit of a panic attack about it... so I guess so.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm a cyclist, climber and adventurous outdoors man. They'd have to find me in the wild to kill me! 

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure mountain rescue will have to come and find what's left of me at some point. Probably at the bottom of a cliff that my climbing mates told  me was easy and then sent me up with the wrong gear! 

There are a million ways to die, I flirt with many of them regularly. Some dick head who has a twisted idea of interpreting a religious book and is willing to die for it, sure isn't going to enjoy life as much as I do. Can you imagine being that angry all the time? Bell ends! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I lived in London at the time of the 2005 tube and bus bombing. I was really wary the day after the attacks, but after that I didn't really think about it too much. Life goes on, you really can't spend your time wondering "what if? ".  I reckon a lot of people at the FA cup final this weekend will be worried, though I suspect security will be extra tight. 
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Nope.  Had a metal detector waved over me at Birmingham Symphony Hall while armed police stood nearby.  The queue to get in was a little longer than normal but hardly worth complaining about
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I work in and around Birmingham and while it has come to mind I worry more about my kid getting knocked off his bike by some twat not looking out for kids on bikes.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Being in London it bothers me. But I wont change my routine or my hobbies or anything. I'd rather die.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Not one iota. I live in central London and use the buses and tube every day without giving it a second thought

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Being in London it bothers me. But I wont change my routine or my hobbies or anything. I'd rather die.

Which is generally my attitude but coming up I have a gig to attend at the Apollo and then at queen Elizabeth stadium, both with my wife, which is where the issue comes in 

It stops being about me then, if something happened to my wife I could never forgive myself, if something happened to both of us and our kids end up living without parents etc etc

My wife's also due to get a train up north this weekend to see her gran, without me but with the kids, I'm not feeling particularly comfortable about it right now 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Nope.
    I keep my wits about me in cities but otherwise just go about my day.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    underdog said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Which is generally my attitude but coming up I have a gig to attend at the Apollo and then at queen Elizabeth stadium, both with my wife, which is where the issue comes in 

It stops being about me then, if something happened to my wife I could never forgive myself, if something happened to both of us and our kids end up living without parents etc etc

My wife's also due to get a train up north this weekend to see her gran, without me but with the kids, I'm not feeling particularly comfortable about it right now 

I wouldn't really worry about it, the chances of something happening are so low. There are things much more dangerous than Terrorism, like crossing the road, or Cycling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    underdog said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Im with you.  Personally I am not bothered at all, but  would I let my daughter go to a pop concert at the moment?   Not so clear.

I did go to Tunisia 2 weeks after 9/11 and everyone told me I was mad.

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited May 2017
    I lived in Londinium at a time where every other tube journey was delayed as a result of some threat or other..,my Missus ( a Londoner ) also remembers many similar events.

I was on a job in Manchester city centre in 96 when The IRA bombed the fook out of the city. I'm either has hard as fook, or as unlucky as fook, or as daft as fook, because in all honesty I don't give a fook...these dogs don't threaten or intimidate me one bit, I will not deviate an inch because of them.  Fook em. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Doesn't bother as much as the prospect of a gang of lads disarming some armed police or soldiers and running amok 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I remember not taking the Tube home on 9/11 from central London, and for a few weeks afterwards there were significantly more evacuations/incidents.

To be honest, I felt more nervy after the 1996 Docklands bomb.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I'm more scared of heart attacks and cancer to be honest.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I'm a Londoner and it's not bothering me much. 

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    They've had armed police at the hospital where MrsTheWeary works and tonight it went into lock down for an hour because of a suspicious looking person wandering around. She was an hour late coming out of work so that's been a bother.
    My youngest son is off to Slam Dunk this weekend and there has been some family debate about this. He's still going and the security has been improved (why would have it been lax in the first place?). 
    Places like the Birmingham Bullring bother me slightly, they can be really packed and a bit claustrophobic on a good day and I feel it wouldn't take a lot to send it into complete melt down. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Nope. More likely to get killed by the aggressive drivers around here or a random thug than some terrorist nutjob tbh 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    No it was worse in the 70's with the IRA. I was at a bombing ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!