Terrorist threat, does it bother you

What's Hot

Comments

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited May 2017
    What bothers me is the excessive publicity that we give these twats. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    TimmyO said:

You know that 'keep calm and carry on' thing that got overdone? These situations are what that saying is for.
    Exactly. It's worth remembering that those posters were originally intended for use during WWII in the event of a German invasion, when our national survival was literally under threat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Drew_TNBD said:
    There aren't many people who cause crashes on purposes. 

There aren't many people who walk in to concerts with bombs in their backpacks.
    And even fewer people taking bombs on planes. The odds of two people taking a bomb onto a plane or into a concert are impossibly statistically unlikely. Ergo, if you are worried someone could bring a bomb to where you are going, take one too and massively improve your odds. [/Logic]
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    My wife is looking likely to miss her trip up north to see her gran this weekend, she is an emotional mess and has spent the last 2 says reading everything she can and I just don't see her going.

I can't say I'm pushing her very hard either, the way I see it if she going to spend the whole time stressing about the train travel she isn't going to do much relaxing.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    In London I've been aware of this for over a decade now - still get mildly twitchy on the tube after 7/7 and am definitely more vigilant than I used to be at big events (I'm going to the Aviva premiership final tomorrow). But it really would make the deaths of those poor victims even more of a tragedy if we change our behaviours. The risks are still very small but succumbing to the fear will only further incentivise these mad delusional arseholes to do similar again, increasing the risks further. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I havnt been on a plane for about 5 years now and dont plan to in the future ..i dont live in a big city but iff i did yeah i would be worried for my family but i think these sort of things can and do happen all over ...i live in a small town called whitehaven and a few years ago a taxi driver killed 12 with a shotgun ...just driving around in a car shooting random ...the last thing you would ever expect..
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    I fly at least once a month.
    Visit a lot of major cities, some of my customers could well be terrorist targets.
    So I should be dead by now.
    It does not worry me at all. I'm more likely to be killed by my 3 dogs
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_TNBD said:
    holnrew said:
    Honestly, for me terrorism is kind of normal to me now. I haven't felt anything since Paris in 2014. I don't have a partner or kids, which might make a difference, but to be honest I feel like my reaction is exactly what terrorists don't want. So fuck em.
    Your reaction is exactly what they want. Acceptance and compliance.
    I cannot agree.

The reaction they want is for you to fear. To fear for your life, to feel constant threat, to make you stop visit other countries  (shootings on the beach) and to raise hate between Muslims and everyone else.

By not being afraid you show them middle finger. 
    Not being afraid or bothered on day to day basis doesn't have to mean your ignorance towards the issue.
    We don't need to agree babez. That's what makes the West the best.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14453
    "We are dumb all over and maybe even a little ugly on the side."
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I fly at least once a month.
    Visit a lot of major cities, some of my customers could well be terrorist targets.
    So I should be dead by now.
    It does not worry me at all. I'm more likely to be killed by my 3 dogs
    All three, or just one of them?
    My V key is broken
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    Fretwired said:
    No it was worse in the 70's with the IRA. I was at a bombing ....
    Yep, me too.  Was on a contract for the MOD in the 80s there was a bomb on the base where I worked.

I remember I had to search my car every morning ...  today's threats are nothing like as pervasive, just look at the list for the 1970s/80s/90s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_London#1980.E2.80.931989

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    Nope. Not bothered at all. There are so many ways to die. If you worried about them all you'd be a wreck. I'd imagine driving is still more dangerous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Wel,, things hit a new turn for the worse-

MCC have increased the Members' security level for the ODI on Monday from 'optional Sports Jackets and chinos'  to 'compulsory MCC City TIe'.

Unprecedented.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I cross a lot of roads each day and lots more pedestrians are killed on roads than people are killed by terrormans... And I don't let that stop my crossing roads in London... Why should I worry about terrorismists? 

There's way too much happening around us to worry about things that probably won't happen to us just because it happened to a stranger. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Thought I'd bump this and see if anyone has had a change of opinion either way? I ask as Wed I'm suppose to be heading to London to see a show, and I'm having doubts right now.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    underdog said:
    ... I'm having doubts right now.
    Please don't. Go and enjoy! Don't let them terrorize you.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Tavernor said:
    There are some mocked up videos on YouTube of real-time news reporting on things unraveling with Russia, spiraling out of control then ending with a very realistic 'take cover' style warning before static. The one I saw started with bargain hunt for about 10 minutes so you could dupe friends into thinking they needed to repent. I knew it was fake but still felt hypnotised by it and had cold chills at the abrupt ending. Think there's an updated one with TM in charge but haven't watched it yet.
    bargain hunt is harrowing enough at the best of times
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

A little, If I'm with the kids.  I was with my lad when Old Trafford was evacuated and that was a bit worrying.  On my own I don't really think about it.  

Offt to London next week, will be doing the usual tourist things with the family, it won't stop us doing anything, but I think making the effort to be aware of your surroundings and check emergency exits etc is no bad thing.   But then you should do that all the time anyway.  Also it's good to be aware of the normality bias.  Go about your business without worrying, the chances of anything happening to you are statistically very low, depite what the media says.  But don't refuse to believe something could happen.  If there's a warning and you have time to act, it's best to act on it quickly and efficiently.
    So we went, nice to get away from Manchester for a while.  Walked all round London everday, the weekend was lovely.  Walked over Waterloo bridge, where I was very conscious of the Westminster attack, so looked around and did feel vulnerable with 2 young kids.  But I also thought chances are nothing like that would happen again for a long time.  Obviously a different bridge and a few hours later but looking at the news coming in on Sunday it did cross my mind that again it was too close for comfort.  On my own, no issue.  Would I cross one of the bridges with the kids again?  Probably not.

Could I sleep in the Hotel that night as more incidents were reported?  Not for a while.  If the kids weren't there again no issue.

Had I checked the emergency exits beforehand?  Had I fuck.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I went to London today... Only reason it occurred to me was the scrolling marquee on the train mentioned their night be some congestion at London Bridge tube station due to increased security presence. 

Attacks in London don't make me want to change my life or where I'm going... Which makes me wonder what the terrormans think will happen? 

"there, now we've stabbed a few people, surely the west will dismantle its governments and all the people will turn to Islam and we'll surely get a califate now"... "what? A man (and the woman next to him in the photo why isn't she a similar hero? ) didn't put their harram alcohol drinks down DURING the attack? Oh... Maybe try two van next time?" 

The Germans bombed London daily for several years... Our concession was to put tape crosses on the windows and send kids north... Terrormans will need to severely up their game to get us to put tape on windows... Let alone be scared into a religion and new way of life... 

I mean the UK is the binge drinking king of the world... It'll take a lot of massive bombs to stop us drinking... Let alone also give up bacon and sun-burn when the sun comes out... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Myranda said:
    I went to London today... Only reason it occurred to me was the scrolling marquee on the train mentioned their night be some congestion at London Bridge tube station due to increased security presence. 

Attacks in London don't make me want to change my life or where I'm going... Which makes me wonder what the terrormans think will happen? 

"there, now we've stabbed a few people, surely the west will dismantle its governments and all the people will turn to Islam and we'll surely get a califate now"... "what? A man (and the woman next to him in the photo why isn't she a similar hero? ) didn't put their harram alcohol drinks down DURING the attack? Oh... Maybe try two van next time?" 

The Germans bombed London daily for several years... Our concession was to put tape crosses on the windows and send kids north... Terrormans will need to severely up their game to get us to put tape on windows... Let alone be scared into a religion and new way of life... 

I mean the UK is the binge drinking king of the world... It'll take a lot of massive bombs to stop us drinking... Let alone also give up bacon and sun-burn when the sun comes out... 
    Myopia. Simple myopia.

Wonder where all those Buddhists went...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Afghanistan