Terrorist threat, does it bother you

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Myranda said:
    I went to London today... Only reason it occurred to me was the scrolling marquee on the train mentioned their night be some congestion at London Bridge tube station due to increased security presence. 

Attacks in London don't make me want to change my life or where I'm going... Which makes me wonder what the terrormans think will happen? 

"there, now we've stabbed a few people, surely the west will dismantle its governments and all the people will turn to Islam and we'll surely get a califate now"... "what? A man (and the woman next to him in the photo why isn't she a similar hero? ) didn't put their harram alcohol drinks down DURING the attack? Oh... Maybe try two van next time?" 

The Germans bombed London daily for several years... Our concession was to put tape crosses on the windows and send kids north... Terrormans will need to severely up their game to get us to put tape on windows... Let alone be scared into a religion and new way of life... 

I mean the UK is the binge drinking king of the world... It'll take a lot of massive bombs to stop us drinking... Let alone also give up bacon and sun-burn when the sun comes out... 
    Myopia. Simple myopia.

Wonder where all those Buddhists went...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Afghanistan
    I didn't know they had white vans and suicide bombs then... And that made everyone convert? Wow. The more you know. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    My wife and daughter went to Cardiff last Saturday, and I didn't really consider the possibility of a terrorist threat for the Champions' League final.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Myranda said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Myranda said:
    I went to London today... Only reason it occurred to me was the scrolling marquee on the train mentioned their night be some congestion at London Bridge tube station due to increased security presence. 

Attacks in London don't make me want to change my life or where I'm going... Which makes me wonder what the terrormans think will happen? 

"there, now we've stabbed a few people, surely the west will dismantle its governments and all the people will turn to Islam and we'll surely get a califate now"... "what? A man (and the woman next to him in the photo why isn't she a similar hero? ) didn't put their harram alcohol drinks down DURING the attack? Oh... Maybe try two van next time?" 

The Germans bombed London daily for several years... Our concession was to put tape crosses on the windows and send kids north... Terrormans will need to severely up their game to get us to put tape on windows... Let alone be scared into a religion and new way of life... 

I mean the UK is the binge drinking king of the world... It'll take a lot of massive bombs to stop us drinking... Let alone also give up bacon and sun-burn when the sun comes out... 
    Myopia. Simple myopia.

Wonder where all those Buddhists went...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Afghanistan
    I didn't know they had white vans and suicide bombs then... And that made everyone convert? Wow. The more you know. 
    They didn't. Yet they still managed to cleanse the area of another religion. Wow. The more you know indeed!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    My wife and daughter went to Cardiff last Saturday, and I didn't really consider the possibility of a terrorist threat for the Champions' League final.

Cardiff last weekend was probably the event with the highest security since the Olympics, armed police everywhere, the police had been checking the sewers every day for a week in the build up to it.

My big concern is I don't believe they're going to attack events for a while, it will be the crowds of people after the event. I mean you leave a venue an 90% of people are going to be heading in the same couple of directions, at some point in that journey the security set up stops.

I'm generally not a worrier but I'm still 50/50 on making the trip tomorrow.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    underdog said:

Cardiff last weekend was probably the event with the highest security since the Olympics, armed police everywhere, the police had been checking the sewers every day for a week in the build up to it.

My big concern is I don't believe they're going to attack events for a while, it will be the crowds of people after the event. I mean you leave a venue an 90% of people are going to be heading in the same couple of directions, at some point in that journey the security set up stops.

I'm generally not a worrier but I'm still 50/50 on making the trip tomorrow.
    Definitely, though in a city as small as Cardiff you could have easily affected 100 people with any action, no problem, during the day.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited June 2017
    I live in Central West London. Other than being more vigilant, I go about my everyday life as I would normally do. I still go to busy bus and train stations, crowded malls and department stores, Heathrow Airport, and walk about in Oxford Street and other areas in the West End. I am not deterred from going.

It is an everyday fact of life in a big city - you stand next  to someone with a rucksack strapped to their back and you do not know what they are carrying. It doesn't enter my thoughts that my time on earth may come to an end there and then.

The idea that there is the possibility of a suicide bomber present in our midst has now become prominent in our thoughts, but it hasn't deterred me from boarding a crowded tube train.

It isn't bravado. It is just going about my routine business in as normal a way as possible. I commute to work on the M4/M25. Each day I get into my car I put my life at risk. It doesn't enter my thoughts that someone may do something stupid on the road, but  I always have spatial awareness of the traffic and my surroundings.  
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107

There's been bombs in London for 50 years. Before that the blitz

I know people who have lost someone ,people who had a close miss, saw the stock exchange bomb and my sister was one of the first paramedics at Aldgate.

It's part of London life.

nothing you can do about it ,just carry on as usual.

The odds of getting killed must be less then winning the lotto.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Yeah, but its not worry about me personally getting killed that would stop me doing something, im big enough and repulsively ugly enough to deal with that - anything happening to my family / kids though and yeah, im going to think twice and maybe not carry on as normal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In the last 2 weeks I've been to London Bridge and to Notre Dame, both times a few days ahead of subsequent terror attacks by twats with vans and/ or knives. I was in Paris a few days after the Bataclan attack. One of my closest friends was in the audience at the Ariana Grande gig at the MEN with her 12 year old daughter, they were there at Old Trafford on Sunday regardless, her daughter said they had to go so that the Mummies and Daddies of the dead wouldn't be sad!

I've lived with terrorism my entire life, IRA when I was younger, this current shower now. I don't really give a fuck what their motives are as there's fuck all I can do to change either a) their beef or b) what our government are going to attempt to do to deal with/ appease it.

Am I worried? Fuck yeah. Do I want a bizarre type of underground civil war in this country? Fuck no.

Am I going to change my lifestyle or way of going about my day to day? A little more observant, for sure, but otherwise absolutely not.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited June 2017
    In the last 2 weeks I've been to London Bridge and to Notre Dame, both times a few days ahead of subsequent terror attacks by twats with vans and/ or knives. I was in Paris a few days after the Bataclan attack. One of my closest friends was in the audience at the Ariana Grande gig at the MEN with her 12 year old daughter, they were there at Old Trafford on Sunday regardless, her daughter said they had to go so that the Mummies and Daddies of the dead wouldn't be sad!

I've lived with terrorism my entire life, IRA when I was younger, this current shower now. I don't really give a fuck what their motives are as there's fuck all I can do to change either a) their beef or b) what our government are going to attempt to do to deal with/ appease it.

Am I worried? Fuck yeah. Do I want a bizarre type of underground civil war in this country? Fuck no.

Am I going to change my lifestyle or way of going about my day to day? A little more observant, for sure, but otherwise absolutely not.

So if you tell me you've been to the Hammersmith Apollo in the last few days I'm definitely not going tomorrow D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdog said:
    In the last 2 weeks I've been to London Bridge and to Notre Dame, both times a few days ahead of subsequent terror attacks by twats with vans and/ or knives. I was in Paris a few days after the Bataclan attack. One of my closest friends was in the audience at the Ariana Grande gig at the MEN with her 12 year old daughter, they were there at Old Trafford on Sunday regardless, her daughter said they had to go so that the Mummies and Daddies of the dead wouldn't be sad!

So if you tell me you've been to the Hammersmith Apollo in the last few days I'm definitely don't going tomorrow :D
    Not been there since Zappa Plays Zappa. I cannot personally guarantee your safety, but fuck it head on out dude! :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    going to big Gigs is a bit of concern - takes me back to the Guildford Pub bombing in 1974. Subsequent visits to Guildford Civil Hall just after to see BeBop Deluxe and BJH and Camel etc were always fucking frightening when 15/16. Took the shine off somewhat...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>