Fender Cancer Warning?

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Was just looking at the specs of my bass on the Fender website to see what strings it came with and notice there's a spec listed "Warning: Cancer and Reproductive Harm" with a link to the front page of some Canadian website that gives no clue as to how it applies to a guitar.

Anyone have any info?

Bit of a shock to see that!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    It’s a requirement of the State of California to put a warning on any product that contains a known carcinogen...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    It is to do with regulations on materials known to (potentially) cause cancer as decided by the state of California. (Or at least that is why I have had to use these statements for products in the past).
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Whitecat said:
    It’s a requirement of the State of California to put a warning on any product that contains a known carcinogen...
    Americans will eat anything.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Nitro?  Or single coil pickups :p 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    octatonic said:
    Whitecat said:
    Americans will eat anything.

Normally with melted cheese and ketchup.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Nickel .. i think ...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    Cant recall  where I read or heard about it but there was some chatter about banning nickel on guitars - it was  a few months ago - Maybe it is linked to the above
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    My recent Gotoh shipment has warning stickers on each box, so I'm assuming suppliers are putting them anything that may be sold to California.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3450
    octatonic said:
    Whitecat said:
    Americans will eat anything everything

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12358
    My recent Gotoh shipment has warning stickers on each box, so I'm assuming suppliers are putting them anything that may be sold to California.

I've bought some nickel stuff from your website before Gavin, make sure your have good insurance - just saying : )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader

wasn't there some talk recently about California wanting adjustments to what is listed as 'made in the USA' and required a higher % of USA criteria in there
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    So is it the strings themselves that have the "known carcinogen"?

That's definitely worrying, is it a "government gone mad" thing or is there genuinely a cancer threat from playing guitar?

I'm thinking surely not...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

Don't know about strings,but my playing has been known to induce vomiting in anyone in the near vicinity.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Don't know about strings,but my playing has been known to induce vomiting in anyone in the near vicinity.

Because it's so mind blowingly good.

Hendrix cause the same back in the day
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Nickel is more of a hazard as a sensitiser, but is possibly carcinogenic. But seeing British coins are nickel plated I'm not going to worry about it. It's not as if it can turn you blue like silver can. Look up argyria if you want a laugh.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited October 2018
    thegummy said:
    So is it the strings themselves that have the "known carcinogen"?

That's definitely worrying, is it a "government gone mad" thing or is there genuinely a cancer threat from playing guitar?

I'm thinking surely not...
    Could this be why so many musicians die young? It's not the fast lifestyle and the sex, drugs and rock n roll after all?

Seriously though, I suspect that you chances of dying from cancer as result of touching your guitar strings goes from 1 in eleventy billion to 2 in eleventybilliion. Or a 100% increase! Read it whichever way you prefer.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/nickel
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27487
    NelsonP said:

Seriously though, I suspect that you chances of dying from cancer as result of touching your guitar strings goes from 1 in eleventy billion to 2 in eleventybilliion. Or a 100% increase! Read it whichever way you prefer
    I read something the other day that said 99.5%* of guitarists are going to die, and at exactly the same point** in their lives!

Yet we carry on choosing to do something that’s so obviously harmful to us.  Just mad.

*there was a margin for statistical error.
    ** ie, the end.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Perhaps it should have read, " Warning, Guitar Strings Cause Calluses"
    proggy said:
    I had to re-input all my finger prints in to my phone the other day because it just completely stopped accepting them - I think it's down to playing guitar and bass
    thegummy said:
    proggy said:
    I had to re-input all my finger prints in to my phone the other day because it just completely stopped accepting them - I think it's down to playing guitar and bass

I suppose it must have some sort of effect on your finger prints.