Notre Dame on fire

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Drew - drawing attention to these idiots is just giving oxygen to thick islamophobic knuckle-draggers and stoking their hatred.  How about dowsing the flames instead of fanning them.
    Woah. Drawing attention to far-right idiots is almost the raison d'etre of the political discussion on this forum. But when I do it in the other direction I'm being told to rein it in?? That doesn't quite check out for me.
    The assholes are everywhere. I think the QAnon comments trying to connect Michelle Obama to the fire is the low point. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Drew - drawing attention to these idiots is just giving oxygen to thick islamophobic knuckle-draggers and stoking their hatred.  How about dowsing the flames instead of fanning them.
    Woah. Drawing attention to far-right idiots is almost the raison d'etre of the political discussion on this forum. But when I do it in the other direction I'm being told to rein it in?? That doesn't quite check out for me.
    The assholes are everywhere. I think the QAnon comments trying to connect Michelle Obama to the fire is the low point. 
    lol seriously? I gotta read that, you got a link?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    @VimFuego Go through this Twitter thread for some of the daftness. 

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1117861813369155584

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    edited April 2019
    It’s tragic to see the destruction of centuries’ worth of Islamic architecture and other artifacts in Syria too - most of which is less well-recorded and replaceable - but that doesn’t make this any less bad. It’s nothing to do with religion - just the loss of a piece of human cultural history.

But it can be rebuilt. Monte Cassino monastery was, most of the old city of Warsaw was - both after far more total destruction in WWII - and the Golden Pavilion Temple in Kyoto was completely destroyed by fire in 1950 and has been rebuilt.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    that's even more wackadoodle than the queen bumping off diana.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2631
    edited April 2019
    The celebration of the destruction of Notre Dame on my Facebook feed included one person ecstatic about "the end of another monument to stupidity", and a woman who said that, although it was pretty, she couldn't feel sad about it because of all the child abuse. People tend to see things in the news and attach their obsessions to them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The celebration of the destruction of Notre Dame on my Facebook feed included one person ecstatic about "the end of another monument to stupidity", and a woman who said that, although it was pretty, she couldn't feel sad about it because of all the child abuse. People tend to see things in the news and attach their obsessions to them. 
    LOL!!

Yeah, all those people who worked on building a cathedral that they would never even see the completion of... what a bunch of idiots!

Bye!

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    From a primarily American guitar forum.

"Such a grand and historic landmark that survived the crusades..."

Huh? I missed the bit of history when Saladin was encamped outside the walls of Paris.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    That was The Vikings (and before they built that version of Notre Dame)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    Kilgore said:

Huh? I missed the bit of history when Saladin was encamped outside the walls of Paris.  
    I do wonder how many of them are thinking it’s Notre Dame university?  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    boogieman said:
    Kilgore said:

I do wonder how many of them are thinking it’s Notre Dame university?  
    My first thought as well 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Notre Dame Uni had to tweet the distinction yesterday :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796

The French civil defence agency almost never writes in English.
    This was aimed at Trump.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I’m more annoyed that the wealthiest organisation on Earth isn’t paying for the Repairs themselves and by the looks of it, it will be State funded alongside personal donations 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796

roberty said:
    Some people on 8chan and Kiwi Farms are still celebrating Christchurch and pledging their allegiance to Tarrant.

Re above:
    And some Arabic speaking people are quick to remonstrate people for their celebrations:

Sameh Fawzy أولئك منكم سعداء بحدوث هذا الحريق ... سوف تكون آسف! عندما تتمنى الشر على الآخرين ، يعود إليك"
    Translation: "Those of you are happy to have this fire... you will be sorry! When you wish evil to others, it comes back to you!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    octatonic said:

And some Arabic speaking people are quick to remonstrate people for their celebrations:

Sameh Fawzy أولئك منكم سعداء بحدوث هذا الحريق ... سوف تكون آسف! عندما تتمنى الشر على الآخرين ، يعود إليك"
    Translation: "Those of you are happy to have this fire... you will be sorry! When you wish evil to others, it comes back to you!"
    Exactly. There are probably about equal proportions of good people and arseholes in all countries and cultures.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    edited April 2019
    sweepy said:
    I’m more annoyed that the wealthiest organisation on Earth isn’t paying for the Repairs themselves and by the looks of it, it will be State funded alongside personal donations 

It's owned by the State, not the Church!!!!

The 1905 act secured 70 historic sites into State ownership, so it's the State's bag to repair it.

The French see it far more as a symbol of culture than of pure religion

1905 law of separation between the Church and the State:

title III: Buildings of worship
    Article 12 (amended in 1998) declared that all buildings which the state had made available to religious organizations the property of the state, pursuant to the following articles.
    Article 13 (modified in 2015) specified that the "buildings used for public worship, and movable objects furnishing them will be left free of charge to public institutions of worship", detailed the methods by which disputed ownership might be determined, and described procedures for reclamation of properties and fixtures abandoned by religious organizations.
    Article 14 provided the same as Article 13 for "Archdioceses, bishoprics, parsonages and their dependencies, major seminaries and faculties of Protestant theology".
    Article 15 specified that, "in the departments of the Savoy, the Haute Savoie and Alpes-Maritimes" buildings used "for the exercise of worship or for the accommodation of their ministers" might be "allocated by villages on the territory from which they are" pursuant to Article 12, while "cemeteries remain the property of the villages"
    Article 16 created a special category for "buildings for public religious worship (cathedrals, churches, chapels, temples, synagogues, archbishops, bishops, presbyters, seminaries), in which will be included all of these buildings representative in whole or in part, artistic or historical value."
    Article 17 required that any buildings covered by the articles be offered to: "1 religious associations; 2 communes; 3 departments; 4. Museums and art and archaeology societies; 5 to the state," in that order.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    No doubt it is insured.
  • 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom