Notre Dame on fire

What's Hot
Main spire has collapsed 
Such a wonderful building as well.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72426
    Appears to be linked to renovation work... like just about every major fire in a historic building.

Tragic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    That's heartbreaking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Such a shame. Apart from the obvious historical and cultural loss, I remember my wife and I being there on our honeymoon, and again 25 years later. I do hope that most of it can be saved. Heartbreaking indeed. 
    Call me Dave.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24352
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    Looks like most of it is lost.

Whether they can rebuild, who knows.

:(
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2473
    Emp_Fab said:
    I bet he had to google ‘Notre Dame’ first
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    Emp_Fab said:
    they can be controlled using 5G I guess. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    Deeply saddened by this awful event. A thousand years of culture gutted. Vanished. I've been there only there times but I feel this loss. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Emp_Fab said:
    I would imagine the impact of the water hitting the building would not be good (Although I have little knowledge in the area).

Any news on casualties?  fingers are crossed that everyone is ok
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24352
    I wonder what dropping 11 tons of water onto a 1,000 year old building that's already undergoing work would do ?

....is not something Donald thought to himself.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    The boys from Trumpton would've had it under control ages ago and still made it home in time for tea.

From The Guardian: 

The French civil defence and crisis management agency have dismissed President Trump’s earlier suggestion that flying water tankers could put the fire out.

“The drop of water by air on this type of building could result in the collapse of the entire structure along with the fire fighers who are currently doing their best to save Notre Dame,” it tweeted.

Call me Dave.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22176
    Emp_Fab said:
    Had it been a false alarm, he'd have been tweeting for hours about the fake pews media. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22176
    edited April 2019
    Two Trump posts for the price of one #poundland

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited April 2019
    I had a hunch the fire might get this bad

(seriously though, absolutely gutted. Such an awful thing to see such a beautiful building in such peril. Hopefully they'll be able to rebuild it as was)
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2600
    edited April 2019
    Incredibly saddened by this.  We go to Paris a lot and Notre Dame feels like the focal point of the city.  I haven't been inside it in a long time but will have walked past it dozens of time crossing the Seine.

One of my abiding memories: it was Christmas Eve and we went to see an old movie (Heaven Can Wait, 1943, Lubitsch) in one of the fleapit cinemas in the Latin Quarter, then we went for a meal nearby.  The restaurants were all pretty quiet, many were shut - Parisians have their Christmas meal on Christmas Eve, so most people were at home.  Then (glowing a bit from the bottle of wine we'd shared) we walked across the river to get to our Metro, which took us past Notre Dame.  It had started to snow, there was just a thin sprinkling on the ground, and the cathedral was all lit up; we could see there was some kind of event so we stopped to have a look.  It was surrounded by TV people and cameras, presumably recording the service, and the most beautiful, ethereal music was emanating from the cathedral, obviously sung by a large first-class choir.  It was like a Hollywood movie version of Christmas in Paris, the beauty of of the lit-up cathedral, the setting, the river, the sacred music, the TV lighting and the gently falling snow, and there were maybe about a hundred or so other people there just soaking it in.  We really felt like we'd lucked into something a bit special.

I only hope it can be properly restored.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Incredibly saddened by this.  We go to Paris a lot and Notre Dame feels like the focal point of the city.  I haven't been inside it in a long time but will have walked past it dozens of time crossing the Seine.

One of my abiding memories: it was Christmas Eve and we went to see an old movie (Heaven Can Wait, 1943, Lubitsch) in one of the fleapit cinemas in the Latin Quarter, then we went for a meal nearby.  The restaurants were all pretty quiet, many were shut - Parisians have their Christmas meal on Christmas Eve, so most people were at home.  Then (glowing a bit from the bottle of wine we'd shared) we walked across the river to get to our Metro, which took us past Notre Dame.  It had started to snow, there was just a thin sprinkling on the ground, and the cathedral was all lit up; we could see there was some kind of event so we stopped to have a look.  It was surrounded by TV people and cameras, presumably recording the service, and the most beautiful, ethereal music was emanating from the cathedral, obviously sung by a large first-class choir.  It was like a Hollywood movie version of Christmas in Paris, the beauty of of the lit-up cathedral, the setting, the river, the sacred music, the TV lighting and the gently falling snow, and there were maybe about a hundred or so other people there just soaking it in.  We really felt like we'd lucked into something a bit special.

That sounds wonderful.
    Call me Dave.
    Just heard that a Paris fire official has said that the main structure has been saved and preserved. That's fantastic (in the context of the circumstances) news. 
    Call me Dave.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    DB1 said:
    Just heard that a Paris fire official has said that the main structure has been saved and preserved. That's fantastic (in the context of the circumstances) news. 
    I think they're putting a bit of a brave spin on it there, the main structure was always probably gonna be ok as it's mostly stone. It's all the other stuff inside, centuries old wooden components and priceless artwork that's now ashes, very sad.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!