Comments

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2017
    Found it browsing on Netflix and thought We'd give it a go:

Actually pretty good!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Fantastic silly fun. A little bit Cabin In the Woods and very good.

8/10
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dtr said:
    Watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on Netflix last night.  Expected total crap, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It's pretty weak as a zombie movie, but it's cracking as a costume drama.  Probably works best the more Jane Austen films you've previously sat through.
    +1 it was ok but last 5 mins a bit pants. 7/10
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I watched man of steel, It was OK..ish but I was left thinking that it could/should have been so much better, The audio sounded good on my THX surround sound system though.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'm watching a lot of telly this week. 

Anyway, Another Earth. Low budget sort of sci fi film. Slow moving but pleasantly intelligent. I think I've seen four films this week and the budget for this wouldn't have covered the catering on any of the others but this is still the better film. Recommended.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Assassin's Creed    7/10

A good going piece of fiction. I believe that there have been bits cut out which would add significant character development, but I enjoyed it all the same. The end wasn't painful either. 
    just got back from seeing Assassin's Creed..
    loved it.. right up my street… 
    play every note as if it were your first
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I watched La,la land last night. I really enjoyed it, it's definitely a film which harks back to the 50s style of film making. Sara found it absolutely insufferable. It does seem to be a very marmite film. It was just nice to see a film which wasnt comic book or sequel based. I would say if you want to watch it, go and see it on the big screen.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.

• Although Tom Hanks seems to have stopped acting characters several years ago in favour of playing an heroic version of himself.

I beg to differ. His performance in "Captain Philips" (especially last scene) was really good and "Sully" I'd say had good acting too.

I've seen "Inferno" recently and I'll give you that one - it was almost like he was bored with acting in that movie. Awful, just like the movie itself. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
     Nocturnal animals: not great but  there is half a good film in there 

Life on the road Ricky Gervais ..., David Brent uses his pension fund to go on tour with some session musicians 

Awful film and I'm a huge fan of the office and extras 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Wrymwood: Road of the Dead

a low budget zombie feast from Australia doing the rounds on Film4. Silly, funny, enjoyable

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793
    Lake Mungo

Australian horror film, done in the all too familiar fake documentary, found footage style - but it's unlike any other I've seen. It's played entirely straight and very realistically, no gore, no screaming, there are virtually no cheap shocks or jump scares, everything is open to interpretation... but nevertheless it slowly builds an extremely creepy atmosphere.  I may have trouble sleeping tonight.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited January 2017
    Saw Passengers the other day and I thought it was very average. I'd hoped it would be more Sci fi action based but its basically a love story set on a space ship.

Anyone have any suggestions for good recent horror films? Most I watch end up being boring and predictable with jump scares rather than setting a scary atmosphere. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363

I've seen "Inferno" recently and I'll give you that one - it was almost like he was bored with acting in that movie. Awful, just like the movie itself. 
    I'm amazed Tom Hanks even got involved with this. He can't be short of money and the film's just like the book, a massive pile of shite. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    Philly_Q said:
    Lake Mungo

Australian horror film, done in the all too familiar fake documentary, found footage style - but it's unlike any other I've seen. It's played entirely straight and very realistically, no gore, no screaming, there are virtually no cheap shocks or jump scares, everything is open to interpretation... but nevertheless it slowly builds an extremely creepy atmosphere.  I may have trouble sleeping tonight.
    Just watched this.Enjoyed it,and as mentioned,it really is creepy,not a scare fest,just creepy but also really sad at times.Great acting too.

Thanks for the heads up @Philly_Q.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793
    @breakstuff  ; Good isn't it, glad you liked it!  :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Sully

A film about the captain who landed an aeroplane in the Hudson River when bird strikes took out the two engines on the aircraft. Good film I thought but the cinema sound effects were too loud thus affecting the dialogue clarity. I enjoyed the film a lot.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    A Monster Calls.
    Loved it. How a boy deals with his mother's battle against cancer by dreaming of a giant tree monster. Beautifully done and some wonderful animation (not just the monster).
    If truth be told it brought a tear to my eye.
    A fantastic way to start this year's cinema 9/10
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Silence

Fuck me that was a long film and completely wasted on me. 

Also when Liam Neeson turns up, nobodys ass gets kicked. 
  • Passengers  7/10

A bit of harmless space opera.  A few things wrong with it , but they do not stop it being enjoyable.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Jack Reacher: Never something something.

Totally and completely forgettable.  Cinema by numbers.