What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Deep Water Horizon, based on a true story, enjoyable, formula stuff 7/10

Don't Breathe, not too shabby, 7/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    sinbaadi said:
    Jack Reacher: Never something something.

Totally and completely forgettable.  Cinema by numbers.  
    Not surprised, the books are written by numbers too. Jack Reacher is also supposed to be six foot eight, or something like that....so they cast Tom Cruise. Riiiiiiight.  :s
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Deep water horizon, brilliant. 8/10

War dogs, another good one. 7.5/10

Whiplash. Absolute corker. 9/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    sinbaadi said:

Not surprised, the books are written by numbers too. Jack Reacher is also supposed to be six foot eight, or something like that....so they cast Tom Cruise. Riiiiiiight.  :s

It's more like Cruise casts himself.  He's alpha and omega there.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    boogieman said:
    sinbaadi said:

It's more like Cruise casts himself.  He's alpha and omega there.
    But Lee Child says he's happy with the casting, he's even made cameo appearances in both films.  I know that's probably money talking, but most authors seem pretty pragmatic about movie adaptations of their work.  Agreed with @boogieman, the books are pretty much by the numbers too, but they're enjoyable enough.
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I watched Filth last night. The Scottish one, and I found it world class, it seriously blew me away. Great plot. Great acting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    I just got back from LA LA Land.  Btw, I just got this... La La...Los Angeles !

I am not a musical fan, went to see this from all the hype from the US and it did not disappoint. About 10 mins into the movie I had fallen in love with the leads, Emma Stone in particular. It was strange at first to see people burst into songs but this really is so good. The sets, the colours, the back drop, the cinematography, the editing and some of those dances are like 1 long shot which I love. I had photographed a few musicals in the past and been to numerous rehearsals so I have seen the work they put into it to hit the spot and I find it fascinating to see it on the big screen.

The acting was also brilliant, especially the opening audition from Stone, when she cried on the phone...that 30 second was just pure brilliance. The chemistry too between Stone and Gosling, they are believable as a couple and believable when they fall in love and believable when they fight.  

By quarter of the way through this movie I found myself smiling at the screen. 
    Half way through this movie I told myself this is better than Star Wars and I am going to own this on Bluray.  
    About 3 quarters I thought this is will win Best Picture at the Oscars.*

I adore this movie. Love it. When the credits rolled I wanted to start clapping, then I remember I am British.

9.9/10 - Better than Rogue One!

0.1 off perfection (a 10) because a couple of the dance numbers felt a little clunky.

*I need to see Hacksaw Ridge and a couple of others first.

edit - just booked to see it again tomorrow...finally read a few reviews and they all say it is better the second time round.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Huntsman: Winters War. I have no idea what was going on but good to see a bit of Puzzle Wood again. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Revenant. Fairly sure that wasn't filmed in Puzzle Wood. Not particularly close to the book. Looks amazing though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Stretch.

Comedy/action/thriller.
    better than i thought it was gonna be. 7.5/10
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

I am not a musical fan, went to see this from all the hype from the US and it did not disappoint. About 10 mins into the movie I had fallen in love with the leads, Emma Stone in particular. It was strange at first to see people burst into songs but this really is so good. The sets, the colours, the back drop, the cinematography, the editing and some of those dances are like 1 long shot which I love. I had photographed a few musicals in the past and been to numerous rehearsals so I have seen the work they put into it to hit the spot and I find it fascinating to see it on the big screen.

The acting was also brilliant, especially the opening audition from Stone, when she cried on the phone...that 30 second was just pure brilliance. The chemistry too between Stone and Gosling, they are believable as a couple and believable when they fall in love and believable when they fight.  

Half way through this movie I told myself this is better than Star Wars and I am going to own this on Bluray.  

I adore this movie. Love it. When the credits rolled I wanted to start clapping, then I remember I am British.

0.1 off perfection (a 10) because a couple of the dance numbers felt a little clunky.

edit - just booked to see it again tomorrow...finally read a few reviews and they all say it is better the second time round.
    What's it actually about though? I see all the adverts telling me its the best film ever and I must see it. But I have no idea what it's about from the trailers ... ergo I'm pissed off with it already. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876

What's it actually about though? I see all the adverts telling me its the best film ever and I must see it. But I have no idea what it's about from the trailers ... ergo I'm pissed off with it already. 
    About a struggling Jazz pianist and an equally struggling actress trying to make it in Hollywood and how fate has brought them together.

The beauty in the movie, beyond the acting, beyond the singing and dancing or even Gosling's own piano playing, he actually leant to play the piano in this movie and it is all him.  There is so much beauty in this movie, from the colours, oh the colours, each frame is a treasure, and the way they select it from muted tones to vibrant dresses; to the way it frames the shot, the way it portraits LA in a romantic way.  in the end LA itself becomes a character like Woody Allen's movies makes New York a character.

On top of that, they nailed that landing on the ending.  
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I saw A monster calls on Saturday I thought it was a fine film. 

I then watched Manchester by the sea yesterday. Wow that was a gut wrenching experience. Michelle Williams is excellent as is Casey Affleck.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I just got back from LA LA Land.  Btw, I just got this... La La...Los Angeles !

About a struggling Jazz pianist and an equally struggling actress trying to make it in Hollywood and how fate has brought them together.

The beauty in the movie, beyond the acting, beyond the singing and dancing or even Gosling's own piano playing, he actually leant to play the piano in this movie and it is all him.  There is so much beauty in this movie, from the colours, oh the colours, each frame is a treasure, and the way they select it from muted tones to vibrant dresses; to the way it frames the shot, the way it portraits LA in a romantic way.  in the end LA itself becomes a character like Woody Allen's movies makes New York a character.

On top of that, they nailed that landing on the ending.  
    We went to see La La Land last night and I'm so glad there's someone here who could (far more eloquently than I) sum up how lovely this film is!

We've even thought about using "Mia & Seb's theme" as part of our wedding music (maybe not the bit where it goes freeform Jazz though!).
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Watched The Big Short - fantastic film about the financial crisis - both shocking and entertaining 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    David Brent - Life On The Road.
    Big fan of The Office but this was uncomfortable pish.
    The occasional laugh so I'll give it 3/10
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    Arrival. I simply don't see what all the hype is and why the ratings are so high. Thought provoking? Boring old load of bollicks. 4/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Hacksaw Ridge, takes a while to get going, but was it ever worth it! Best film I've seen in a long while, based on a true story, quite graphic but very well done.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Watched Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" at the weekend, enjoyed it immensely and am now slightly obsessed with the 1920s culture - The Jazz Age, Lost Generation... Hemingway, F Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein etc.

Brilliant film and all round excellent performances. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    Arrival....promising much for a lot of the film that it fails to deliver.  I just found myself not caring about anything or anyone in the film.

Fantastic Beasts - a decent romp, lots of fascination and imagination but tagged on to a good versus evil plot that was rather superfluous to the fantastic beasts bit.  Better than Potter films, I guess.