0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    It's great.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    So there you go. It's shite and great.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12366
    It's ok. Very well produced, great CGI, well acted. The plot just doesn't really go anywhere. When we saw it most of the audience were either going "huh?" or "meh" at the end. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4537
    Shreat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited January 2017
    adam curtis 'hypernormalisation' 10/10
    scott noble 'power principle' 8/10
    naomi klein & michael winterbottom 'the shock doctrine' 6/10
    tomas alfredson 'låt den rätte komma in' 7.5/10
    steven spielberg 'munich' 5/10 (i wanted the palestinians to win)
    m
    auro bolognini 'Il bell'antonio' 8/10
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Last two films I watched -
    Captain Phillips. Brilliant and riveting movie. Such a good performance from Hanks
    The Imitation Game - Disappointed with this tbh, not a bad movie but I expected better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I just got back from LA LA Land.  Btw, I just got this... La La...Los Angeles !

I am not a musical fan, went to see this from all the hype from the US and it did not disappoint. About 10 mins into the movie I had fallen in love with the leads, Emma Stone in particular. It was strange at first to see people burst into songs but this really is so good. The sets, the colours, the back drop, the cinematography, the editing and some of those dances are like 1 long shot which I love. I had photographed a few musicals in the past and been to numerous rehearsals so I have seen the work they put into it to hit the spot and I find it fascinating to see it on the big screen.

The acting was also brilliant, especially the opening audition from Stone, when she cried on the phone...that 30 second was just pure brilliance. The chemistry too between Stone and Gosling, they are believable as a couple and believable when they fall in love and believable when they fight.  

By quarter of the way through this movie I found myself smiling at the screen. 
    Half way through this movie I told myself this is better than Star Wars and I am going to own this on Bluray.  
    About 3 quarters I thought this is will win Best Picture at the Oscars.*

I adore this movie. Love it. When the credits rolled I wanted to start clapping, then I remember I am British.

9.9/10 - Better than Rogue One!

0.1 off perfection (a 10) because a couple of the dance numbers felt a little clunky.

*I need to see Hacksaw Ridge and a couple of others first.

edit - just booked to see it again tomorrow...finally read a few reviews and they all say it is better the second time round.

I had no interest in watching this after reading about it, but your review has actually piqued my interest. 
    boogieman said:
    It's ok. Very well produced, great CGI, well acted. The plot just doesn't really go anywhere. When we saw it most of the audience were either going "huh?" or "meh" at the end. 
    To explain this it means having lots of spoilers so be warned

the movie at its core isn't so much a sci fi but the question of if you know the choices you are going to make will result in the deepest pain a person can have; losing a child, would you still go through with it because of all the joy that it also brings.

the movie starts off making you think she already lost her daughter but at the end you realise that's the future and all the little flash backs are actually flash forward or her dreams, a by product of her learning and understanding the alien language, as they exist in a realm that isn't in a linear timeline.  The one thing you have to suspend your belief for is to accept this aspect about the time is not linear and with all time travel movies there are plot holes so I wouldn't look for them because there are bound to be some.

what I like about the movie on a sci fi level too is the new take on the alien invasion concept, its more than your normal nuclear bomb straight off or they are here to invade us but a mutual understanding through communication and patience.

from a drama point of view, the question of loving a child and losing a child knowing it will happen (hence the father leaves when he finds out) is also one isn't taken easily.

this is on top of the great cinematography and acting.
  • Just watched 'I am not a serial killer' with Doc Brown starring in it.

the last 10 mins was absolute WTF! And not in a good way 6/10

I had no interest in watching this after reading about it, but your review has actually piqued my interest. 
    I've seen this 3 times now at the cinema, I might go once more before it is off the local cinema.

The 2nd time was kinda ruined by some women who keep talking and using their phones.  The 3rd time I got into it much more, I think this movie really helps if you are not distracted, when it pulls you into its world, and take it all in, the colours, the songs and the "magic" the better.

The 3rd time I learn to appreciate every little bit even more, I picked out a few more easter eggs in the movie that references other movies.  The earlier feeling of the clunky dancing between the leads have disappeared because i now appreciate that they are not professionals dancers but real people so the dancing fits their characters.  There is 1 silhouette moment with professional dancers which is obvious to me that are not them so if they had cast people who are pros with their dancing I don't think it would necessarily make a better movie.  What makes the movie is how believable those 2 are together as a couple, this movie I would say is a love story first, love for their art, love for their dreams and love for each other.  The music is a vehicle to show off their feelings that is sometimes difficult to translate with dialogue.

That said, i did see a couple walk out during the 2nd song and then a bloke walked out about 30min in.   You can't please everyone I guess.

p.s. I haven't even seen Musicals like Sound of Music, West Side Story, Singing in the Rain...i am really not a big musical fan, I just love this movie.
  • Fyi arrival was great.

Split was awesome... 8.5/10.

Going to try and see some of the trainspotting 2 stars at the premiere tomorrow.
  • Frozen.... with 4 year old daughter..... had to be done at some point 
  • T2 premiere was cool.. and freezing cold! Saw all the big stars and look forward to seeing the film next Sunday!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    You were there Tom? Cool! Can't wait to see the film next week.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited January 2017
    Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, a real treat for Potter fans and those who like a good story, well Directed and understatedly performed. Hacksaw Ridge, based on a true story with Battle scenes even better imho than Saving Private Ryan, well worth a watch 
    Last 4 days I watched....

Split

It's good, better when the VERY last scene pops up which gives the movie a different take.

Easy A

Amazing, Awesome, Aced it.  Love this movie.  Best teen comedy this decade.  It's smart, it is funny, it brilliantly acted by Emma Stone.  Absurdly Amazing.

Underworld Blood Wars

Kate Beckinsale in leather pants...that's enough to put butts in seats right? just about...silly movie, silly story.  

Jack Reacher Never Go Back

Mindless, forgettable action movie from Cruise again.  Not as good as the first one.

The Girl has All the Gift

It's not as clever as it thinks it is....I don't think it is that great.

Sing Street

Hate the lead character, cannot get over it....turned if off half way through.

Aloha

Just no....what kind of story is this?  Cameron Crowe lost it with this script surely....WTF.

Moonlight

Great acting, intimate and emotional and real.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. What an odd film, although much better written and smarter than I'd imagined. Soundtrack somewhat spoiled by a constant whirring sound although that's apparently Jane Austen spinning in her grave. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I watched 'Oblivion'  this afternoon & for a Tom Cruise film I enjoyed it. some great special effects.
    Oblivion Poster