That guitarist in Roxy Music

What's Hot
Dunno if I'm allowed to quote a quote.....please delete if I've infringed any forum rules. But I like Phil M's take on technique.

Phil Manzanera: “I didn’t really want an incredible technique: I thought that would impede my ability to enjoy music for the whole of my life”

By Jamie Dickson Guitarist ) published October 28, 2021

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Not if you like playing incredibly technical music (which I don't).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14464
    There is a well-known quote about early Roxy Music that there wasn't enough room in the band for two Brians/Bryans. 

Manzanera always knew better than to upstage Ferry. Otherwise, he might have been pushed out too.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited July 2022
    It’s the same with any art - if you’ve studied English literature, it’s obvious you’re hardly going to enjoy reading books. If you’ve done a degree in fine art, you’re clearly not going to enjoy going round art museums. Same with musicians; any good guitarist - also any orchestra player, pianist, jazzer, whatever - will tell you they all can’t stand music.

Edit: Because it’s hard to express sarcasm reliably in forum posts, I’d like to make it clear: THE ABOVE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SARCASTIC!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited July 2022
    viz said:
    Same with musicians; any good guitarist - also any orchestra player, pianist, jazzer, whatever - will tell you they all can’t stand music.
    Glad I’m rubbish then ;-)  I do think though that I listen to music ‘differently’ than a non musician. Doesn’t stop me enjoying music though. I’m sure that an artist will look at works of art differently - probably more analytically- than a non artist. I bet that they still enjoy art though.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited July 2022
    HAL9000 said:
    viz said:
    Same with musicians; any good guitarist - also any orchestra player, pianist, jazzer, whatever - will tell you they all can’t stand music.
    Glad I’m rubbish then ;-)  I do think though that I listen to music ‘differently’ than a non musician. I’m sure that an artist will look at works of art differently than a non artist. Doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy art though.

Yep, I was joking, it’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    What's missing is whether he still believe that's true.

I could say of my 17 year old self: "I didn't want to learn to read music because I thought it might get in the way of playing with a good feel for the music I liked".

I could also say of my 17 year old self: "I was an idiot".
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2022
    ^ true. Indeed the rest of the quote might have gone on, “and how wrong I was”, or something. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    What's missing is whether he still believe that's true.

I could say of my 17 year old self: "I didn't want to learn to read music because I thought it might get in the way of playing with a good feel for the music I liked".

I could also say of my 17 year old self: "I was an idiot".
    and Id say,   bollocks   

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Presumably it's a quote taken out of context.
    I'd personally prefer to listen to a scrappy player than an automaton.
    However, the sweet spot is somewhere in-between.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    edited July 2022
    Phil is awful.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited July 2022
    Nothing

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Its easy to mock... but PM was integral to one of the greatest bands of all time, IMHO. He's not a virtuoso but his playing *in context* with Roxy was great... 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    He deserves a tip of the hat for the intro to More Than This for a start (assuming it’s him). Love the guitar work during that period of RM
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    I think he’s referring to the tendency to deconstruct something if you are studying it.  I feel what he’s saying - I had always loved movies and when I started making my own and started to learn about the process, I suddenly found that I was aware of all the subterfuges and techniques in movies as I was watching them. I was upset by it as it seemed that in studying movies I had lost the magic of watching. I thought I had ruined a special pleasure. After a few months of this obsessive deconstructing it faded away and I began to enjoy them the same way I had previously - getting lost in the moment but for a while there was a genuine feeling of loss.

Roxy’s first LP is still a regular listen, one of the best, most fully realised, first albums. It’s an astonishing achievement.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    impmann said:
    Its easy to mock... but PM was integral to one of the greatest bands of all time, IMHO. He's not a virtuoso but his playing *in context* with Roxy was great... 

Amazes me that Roxy Music don't get brought up more as an influence on bands like Suede, Blur and Pulp - clearly they all had at least one record at home if not more.

The subtle way the melody climbs all over that track is something Bernard Butler or Damon Albarn would be very familiar with!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1586
    JezWynd said:
    I think he’s referring to the tendency to deconstruct something if you are studying it.  I feel what he’s saying - I had always loved movies and when I started making my own and started to learn about the process, I suddenly found that I was aware of all the subterfuges and techniques in movies as I was watching them. I was upset by it as it seemed that in studying movies I had lost the magic of watching. I thought I had ruined a special pleasure. After a few months of this obsessive deconstructing it faded away and I began to enjoy them the same way I had previously - getting lost in the moment but for a while there was a genuine feeling of loss.

Interesting. There's probably an element of 'first learn all the rules before you start to break them" in there too.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3756
    impmann said:

Totally agree. I love the first couple of albums and his playing is absolutely on point. 

In respect of knowledge, I definitely had that kind of approach, through fear that theory would inhibit me. I was wrong, although I do sometimes find it hard to break modular rules. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    In fairness, I do love Roxy Music's homage to gay sex.

Both Ends Burning.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    He deserves a tip of the hat for the intro to More Than This for a start (assuming it’s him). Love the guitar work during that period of RM
    Completely agree. Obviously not the Roxy period we’re supposed to like but Flesh & Blood and Avalon are pure class, as far as I’m concerned.
    I've always loved this version of Like a Hurricane- however, Andy Newmark steals the show- as exquisite as ever.