That guitarist in Roxy Music

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11314
    Anyone who can come up with the riff on "Mother of Pearl" gets my vote. There's a live vesion from Musik Laden on YouTube. The first eighty seconds are incendiary. Shame about the rest of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Gassage said:
    I've always loved this version of Like a Hurricane- however, Andy Newmark steals the show- as exquisite as ever.
    Neil Hubbard plays a lot of the guitar you hear on that. I've always loved that version too - in fact, the whole The High Road EP is brilliant, I had that back in the early 80s and just about wore it out.

I do like Manzanera a lot as a guitarist though, despite his limitations (or maybe because of them). He was a big influence on me to begin with - one of the reasons I've always loved black 3-pickup Les Paul Customs, and still want a Firebird even though I can't play them! The first proper gig I went to was The Explorers, Manzanera and Mackay's post-Roxy band, front row and just a few feet from both those guitars...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:
    I've always loved this version of Like a Hurricane- however, Andy Newmark steals the show- as exquisite as ever.
    Neil Hubbard plays a lot of the guitar you hear on that. I've always loved that version too - in fact, the whole The High Road EP is brilliant, I had that back in the early 80s and just about wore it out.

Hubbard plays the first solo, Phil plays all of the last solo.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4797
    I think Manzanera is a fine player with a nice degree of taste in his musical choices. I really like his playing on the Quiet Sun album. He also did a great job of supporting his neighbour, Dave Gilmour as the second guitarist when Gilmour was promoting "On An Island". The "Remember That Night" DVD shows it all off perfectly. He doesn't shred, though, and I realise that's very important to some of us - fast is just as a much a musical dynamic as loud, IMHO, so I don't diss shredding, nor do I think it's the be-all and end-all. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    JezWynd said:
    Excellent. I completely loved Roxy Music from first hearing John Peel play tracks from the first album.
    I see Phil still has the much hated Strat ashtray bridge cover in place on that session. Very cool  ;)  B)
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1352
    Thread title is a little disrespectful. You could have just just said "Phil Manzanera ..." and most of us would have had a clue who you were on about !

If he was good enough to go on the road with Gilmour I'm guessing he can't be that much of a hack?
    I'm sure that  wasn't Janek's intention...

but anyway... one of those players to me I instantly associate with a Firebird (other than Johnny Winter?) - and a guitarist who features in a band who's greatest hits are absolutely swamped with synths with a unique sounding vocalist... leaving very little room for him to shine.

I'm not the biggest Roxy fan - the early stuff is way too arty for me... and the latter stuff I find a bit bland - but I love More Than This and Jealous Guy but this is my favourite ...and Manzanera plays some tasty licks here as well...

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1467
    What a bizarre thread, Phil Manzanera is a great guitar player! Hugely inventive throughout his career.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 644
    Diamond Head is a superb album, performed by everybody who had played in Roxy Music – except Bryan Ferry.

Until reading this thread, I had never heard anyone say Manzanera had limitations as a guitarist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    What a bizarre thread, Phil Manzanera is a great guitar player! Hugely inventive throughout his career.
    Certainly, but not a ‘virtuoso’ in the standard guitar sense. I’m sure he’s entirely happy with that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    As an aside to this, many of the now classic bands/guitarists feature so called untrained guitarists. Now there are a lot of “untrained” guitarists in the world, but my impression is that there is a disproportionately large number of them in the bands that made it. This doesn’t apply to the guys backing your Eltons, Joels or whatever but the idea that you must be able to perform fingerboard gymnastics seems to be a millennial trend (some always aspired to be an Eric or a Jimi or a Howe). 
    I’ve no scientific evidence to support my theory though so feel free to shoot holes in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    ESBlonde said:
    As an aside to this, many of the now classic bands/guitarists feature so called untrained guitarists. Now there are a lot of “untrained” guitarists in the world, but my impression is that there is a disproportionately large number of them in the bands that made it. This doesn’t apply to the guys backing your Eltons, Joels or whatever but the idea that you must be able to perform fingerboard gymnastics seems to be a millennial trend (some always aspired to be an Eric or a Jimi or a Howe). 
    I’ve no scientific evidence to support my theory though so feel free to shoot holes in it.
    I wonder would they make it now? Not shooting holes in your argument, just genuinely wondering. Then again, they might... having good songs (if you're a rock band) usually seems to be the most important thing.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3761
    edited July 2022
    scrumhalf said:
    Anyone who can come up with the riff on "Mother of Pearl" gets my vote. There's a live vesion from Musik Laden on YouTube. The first eighty seconds are incendiary. Shame about the rest of it. 
    What's wrong with the rest of it*?  Brilliant song and a classic Roxy Music twist from one sound to another (If There Is Something is my favourite example), full of creativity, invention and fun.  Ferry's performance is absolutely wonderful.

* - if you mean the rest of his playing on the song, he does look rather bored - but I like most of what he plays, with his lovely clunky ham-fisted vibrato.

PS - love his playing on In Every Dream Home a Heartache.  Brilliant.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1467
    ESBlonde said:

Most of the best musicians I've worked with over the last 30 years have been untrained. Actually, I've been working a lot with Mark Brzezicki over the last year or so - by any standards one of the very best drummers on the planet, with the CV to match his status as such, and he's entirely self-taught .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    impmann said:
    He's not a virtuoso but his playing *in context* with Roxy was great.
    I would go further. 

Other than the classically-trained McKay, none of the full-time members of Roxy Music could be described as a virtuoso. That is kinda the point. A band should be greater than the sum of its parts.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I worked in a RM tribute act for years so of course had to study his parts in great detail.
    His lead breaks are very interesting. I've always thought he's playing what's in his head because most of them don't sem to follow any scale.!!
    Have a listen to If There is Something and work out the lead break in that if you think he's rubbish. It's brilliant and I loved playing it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GJK1959GJK1959 Frets: 54
    He’s got that red Firebird…..nuff said  =)

previously 'retsacotarts' on music radar forum
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6085
    scrumhalf said:
    What's wrong with the rest of it*?  Brilliant song and a classic Roxy Music twist from one sound to another (If There Is Something is my favourite example), full of creativity, invention and fun.  Ferry's performance is absolutely wonderful.

* - if you mean the rest of his playing on the song, he does look rather bored - but I like most of what he plays, with his lovely clunky ham-fisted vibrato.

PS - love his playing on In Every Dream Home a Heartache.  Brilliant.
    Not sure how much truth there is to this but - recall that he was pissed that Eno was messing about with his guitar signal via the synth.

Bryan Ferry has settled behind the keys as band leader in his most recent band and he looks very at home in the role, surrounded by stellar players bringing his old compositions to glorious life…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d5PENVCZQ8
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Came on to post something about current Roxy rabbit hole, and searched before posting.

IMHO Phil M is great. Subtle, nuanced, unpredictable, and always seems to get his lines so right for the songs. Just the kind of guitarist I’d like to be, if I had a fraction of his skill.

As said above, Roxy Music were certainly more than the sum of their parts. I’m enjoying learning some of the guitar parts, and about to have a stab at the No Church thing…
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    Phil’s playing on the song Third Uncle on Eno’s Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy is like noise rock before noise rock even existed.