Jethro Tull

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
So recently I've been binging massively on Jethro Tull. I just love them, particularly Minstrel in The Gallery and Songs From the Wood.

Any other fans?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Aqualung FTW !!!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Minstrel In The Gallery was one of the 3 first LPs I bought when I got my first turntable. A friend 'borrowed' it 20-odd years ago and I've not seen it since. I still miss it. :(

MITG, SFTW and Aqualung (oh dear... it's going to become another of those acronym threads) are all great albums. I have a soft spot for Heavy Horses and Passion Play, too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Yes, me.

Unfashionably as ever, I prefer the 'folk trilogy' - Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch - and The Broadsword & The Beast, and possibly even Crest Of A Knave, to the earlier... but it's all good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Big Tull fan here - seen them live many times.  Particularly fond of the 70's 'folk prog' era, SFTW and Heavy Horses are a couple of my favourite albums.

Saw Ian on the TAAB2 tour recentlyish - he's really not holding up well these days vocally, and as talented as Florian Opahle is, there's a big hole left where Barre used to be.  The ten minute lecture about prostates was also rather... odd.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Semi fan. Saw them 30 years ago and really enjoyed it. Had a couple of albums on cassette but all long lost.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I used to be well into Tull when I was younger, and could play most of the acoustic parts up to the Broadsword album. I even learned to play the flute parts for a lot of the earlier stuff!

I still love those earlier albums- particularly Stand Up through to Minstrel In The Gallery.

Sad to hear of the death of Glenn Cornick recently- easily the coolest member of the band!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22815
    edited October 2014
    My brother was a big fan 30-odd years ago and I always quite liked them, I've slowly acquired a few of the albums on CD in recent years.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Benefit, that's always been my favourite.  I liked most of the albums but struggled a bit with Thick as a Brick (although I love the sleeve art!) and War Child, as I remember.

Edit:  I see a lot of the Tull albums have recently been released in super duper multi-disc deluxe editions.  That sort of thing always switches me into fanatical collector mode, unfortunately... although I'll try to resist as the truth is I hardly ever listen to the bonus material on those things.  My Zeppelin and Sabbath deluxe editions are mostly still sealed in their cellophane wrapping, gathering dust.

• I have heard of Jethro Tull.
    People seem to rate them.
    I bought Aqualung recently because that's the one I've heard revered as the 'classic' Tull disc to possess.

What a weird band.

...in a good way.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Been a big fan for years, like most albums but favor "Thick as a Brick".  Here's a fun fact:  Andrew Lincoln, the actor who plays Rick on "The Walking Dead" is married to Ian Andersons daughter.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    The first album I heard of theirs was Crest of a Knave and I loved it, so I'm kind of biased against their other stuff.  Hot night in Budapest is a masterpiece - I never grow tired of listening to it.  Steel Monkey is an awesome choon too.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    The first album I heard of theirs was Crest of a Knave and I loved it, so I'm kind of biased against their other stuff.  Hot night in Budapest is a masterpiece - I never grow tired of listening to it.  Steel Monkey is an awesome choon too.

That is a great album, Steel Monkey is probably the best song on it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    I think Mountain Men is my favourite track, but they're all good. I also really like Dogs In The Midwinter and The Waking Edge, the two tracks that aren't on the vinyl release - so replacing it with the CD was almost like getting a new album.

I've only seen Tull live once, which was on that tour. 1987, that seems such a long time ago now...

Heavy Horses, Stormwatch or Broadsword are probably my favorite albums overall though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Can't stand them.

Met Martin a few times and he is a nice bloke. Bought an old MXR Flanger off him a few years back.

But to me their music sucks ass.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Benefit, that's always been my favourite.  I liked most of the albums but struggled a bit with Thick as a Brick (although I love the sleeve art!) and War Child, as I remember.

Benefit is probably my favourite actually
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    What a weird band.
    Welcome to the late 60'. There was a feeling that the old rules were broken.  Bands were experimenting far more than they do nowadays
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Bursting Out is one of my favourite live albums, not a duff track on it (drum solo aside).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Yeah I must say pretty much every album mentioned here is great. I really like the folk trilogy too. It's amazing how they churned out a steady stream of consistently great albums on a yearly basis for so long.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I'm not a huge Tull fan but I have to say that, hands down, the worst band I've ever seen was a Belgian Tull tribute band. It was worse than being bored, whcih I was when I decided to go and watch them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    'worse than being bored'  :))
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Emp_Fab .. Steel monkey is ace track and I also like the album .. some of their earlier stuff is worth a listen.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!