What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12386
    edited October 2014
    What's not to like?

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I love Aqualung and the older prog stuff, but Crest of a Knave was the first album of theirs that I really heard.

I still think 'Said she was a Dancer' is the most Knopfler-esque non Knopfler song I've ever heard. :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I love Jethro Tull. English eccentricity at its musical best. Bit like a souped-up Bonzo Dog band. Anderson was a charismatic stage performer, and who'd have thought the flute could be used to such effect!

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Big fan here. Have seen them live something like 30 times over the years.
    Came in at the Broadsword LP, which was so different to the typical hard rock I'd been into prior to that (Rainbow, Whitesnake etc.). Loved the blend of the folk (flute/mandolin/acoustic guitar) with the electronic (keyboard, vocoders, Barre's staccato chopped chords and sustained single lines) so that LP is a favourite.
    Also love the Songs/Heavy Horses/Stormwatch trilogy. Minstrel is a cracker, as is Warchild. Benefit has a brilliant 60s pop/rock/blues vibe. Of the deep prog LPs, I still think Passion Play is a masterpiece but not everybody would agree. I even like the oddball synths of "A" and the almost universally reviled Under Wraps. The 20th Anniversary and Nightcap compilations showed the standard of stuff that didn't get on the LPs - Jack Frost, Broadford Bazzar, Small Cigar etc. etc.

Anyway, I'm rambling and ranting. Loved them for many years. Can't bring myself to watch the latest low-rent incarnation. I can see that Ian is constantly wanting to change personnel and is an absolute control freak. Reluctantly accepted the consequences when the material was as strong as it was but now his voice has gone and it just seems like a sad way to go out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited October 2014
    I love Jethro Tull. English eccentricity at its musical best. Bit like a souped-up Bonzo Dog band. Anderson was a charismatic stage performer, and who'd have thought the flute could be used to such effect!
    http://www.tullpress.com/images/ad89.jpg

:)

Published after Tull won a Grammy in 1987 for Best Hard Rock/Metal Album with Crest Of A Knave, beating Metallica's And Justice For All. While I like Tull a lot, and Metallica not that much, I'm still not sure why anyone would think Crest Of A Knave was even a hard rock album, let alone metal...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Heavy Horses is my favourite EllPee at this time of the year. Songs from the Wood at Christmas. Excellent music :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited October 2014
    Heavy Horses is my favourite EllPee at this time of the year. Songs from the Wood at Christmas. Excellent music :)
    How odd!

A few friends and myself also associate Tull, and the Heavy Horses album with autumn, sturdy boots, woolly hats and getting together for a few dark beers. It's usually just an excuse for the latter but funny that others have the same association!
    I think I know what you mean, although not all of the songs are autumn-like... Moths in particular is an early summer song, and Journeyman is a winter song.

I think Stormwatch is more of an autumn album.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM, I think the whole "Heavy Horses =  Autumn" is just a general feel thing that we seem to get rather than an actual theme. Like I said, it's usually just an excuse for a few bottles of barley pop.

I've always thought of Stormwatch as the winter album though! Possibly more because of the cover. I think there's a staggering beauty to tracks like "Home" and "Flying Dutchman". 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I really enjoy the best of... cd but the only album I've heard in its entirety, thick as a brick, was slightly mental for my tastes.
    Basher said:
    @ICBM, I think the whole "Heavy Horses =  Autumn" is just a general feel thing that we seem to get rather than an actual theme. Like I said, it's usually just an excuse for a few bottles of barley pop.
    Yes, I would definitely agree that Tull are a beer band. Probably real ale… :)

• stonevibe said:

But to me their music kicks ass.

fixed
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    One of my favourite bands.

Thick As A Brick, Aqualang, Minstrel, Warchild for me, but it's all good up to Crest. After that, pretty pants and really are just Ian Anderson solo albums with a backing band.

Live they have been great any time I've seen them - like others, Crest Of A Knave tour was my first tour. 
  • have seen them a few times.they are bloody fab  :D

the last time was at salisbury civic centre i think (7-8 years ago).had a front row seat .
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 826
    Fabulous fabulous band...

By 1987, Ian Anderson had pretty much lost his voice. The crest of a Knave album was musically excellent, but he could no longer sing.

IMO, the Folk period (Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses etc) was probably their best music, though I do love, Stormwatch and The Broadsword and the Beast). Bursting Out - of course...
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5494
    Pretty fair thread bump there Jaymenon!

MY TOP 10 TULL  ALBUMS IN ORDER:
    1: Benefit (1970)
    2: Aqualung (1971)
    3: Living in the Past (1972)
    4: Thick as a Brick (1972)
    5: Songs from the Wood (1977)
    6: Minstrel in the Gallery (1975)
    7: Stand Up (1969)
    8: Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die! (1976)
    9: Heavy Horses (1978)
    10: This Was (1968)

1968 through to 1977, so ten extraordinary years of sustained creativity .... followed by 40 years where they he failed to sustain my interest. 

I've seen Tull live three times. The first two were great. The last time was in the mid 1980s. Anderson had lost his voice and lost his way. I stopped bothering after that.

The second record I ever bought was Aqualung. I still have it, though I haven't had a turntable for several decades.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    Was the thread resurrected because there was a long documentary about Jethro Tull on Sky Arts on Saturday evening?  All very interesting, although it was a bit out of date - 2008 - and pre-dated the band breaking up then becoming an Anderson solo project. :)
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 826
    No - Actually I was in a nostalgia mood and sang a bunch of Tull songs earlier today - and then wound up seeing this thread...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    All very interesting, although it was a bit out of date - 2008 - and pre-dated the band breaking up then becoming an Anderson solo project. :)
    For all practical purposes, Tull has been an Anderson solo project since at very least the late 1970s; many would say since  the early '70s. 
    Great stuff! I really enjoyed that Jaymenon.