Jethro Tull

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    I do quite like some of the music but too much flute and prancing about for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 124
    Thank god Iommi saw sense
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    edited August 2021
    Just thinking back to that infamous win of the 1989 Grammy for best hard rock/metal performance.  In the documentary Anderson was quite adamant that no-one could mistake Jethro Tull for a metal band.  And essentially he's right, of course... but I'm just listening to the live album Bursting Out now, and there are some bloody good rock riffs from Mr Barre.  They were certainly a lot closer to hard rock than, say, Genesis, Pink Floyd or Yes ever were.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Philly_Q said:
    Just thinking back to that infamous win of the 1989 Grammy for best hard rock/metal performance.  In the documentary Anderson was quite adamant that no-one could mistake Jethro Tull for a metal band.  And essentially he's right, of course... but I'm just listening to the live album Bursting Out now, and there are some bloody good rock riffs from Mr Barre.  They were certainly a lot closer to hard rock than, say, Genesis, Pink Floyd or Yes ever were.

I agree, not a metal band but certainly a rock band. Bursting Out is a brilliant album and Martin Barre's guitar has a really modern sound considering it was recorded in the 70s.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 822
    ‘Mr Martin Lancelot Barrai…’
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
    jaymenon said:
    ‘Mr Martin Lancelot Barrai…’
    It's funny, I probably haven't heard the album for 30-odd years but I remembered Anderson's bits of chat better than any of the songs. :)
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 822
    That's right @Philly_Q ;

"Martin on the mighty marimba, Hurrrrrray...!'
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    jaymenon said:
    That's right @Philly_Q ;

"Martin on the mighty marimba, Hurrrrrray...!'
    Not forgetting the immortal: 
    "Now to finally lay to rest any ugly rumours that John Glascock is a kinky b****** who likes being thrashed severely across the bum, we'll do it only very slightly in the next song" 

A refreshing change from "good evening Philadelphia, we are gonna rock you tonite" and suchlike. 

Poor Dave Pegg inherited the dubious honour of being whacked with the riding crop during Hunting Girl, probably one of the more unusual requirements of a rock bass gig.

Actually it was this sort of thing that made me love Tull - the not taking themselves too seriously. I used to watch other bands at the time like Rainbow and Whitesnake and Tull were always the best by a country mile (appropriately enough). Everyone else came out in dodgy wigs and spandex pretending to be 19 years old while JT tended to joke about putting bleach in the shampoo bottles of any hirsute younger members and Dave Pegg (poor Dave again) having to wear a "bum bra".

I think Anderson lost his sense of humour along with his voice. I found the last few gigs I saw (1990s) quite difficult to watch as his struggles to sing the material were painful to witness. Looking at clips of the live stuff he's done since, it's got no better. I understand that it must be terrible to lose a skill like that but I wish he'd just stick to instrumental stuff, like the splendid "Divinities" album.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 372
    Bursting Out is indeed a great album with Martin Barre’s guitar to the forefront. I really don’t understand Anderson’s decision to carry on Tull without him although I lost interest around the time he lost his voice, diminishing returns from the end of the 70s. If you get chance to see Martin’s band it’s a really treat of Tully guitar greatness and an excellent singer,
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5494
    Bursting Out is indeed a great album with Martin Barre’s guitar to the forefront. I really don’t understand Anderson’s decision to carry on Tull without him
    Tull without Barre isn't Tull. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    Inspired by this thread, I thought I might go on a bit of a JT jaunt. Started today with This Was (I may as well do them in order.)

Stunning!

I've heard it before, of course, but don't remember it being that good. It'll get another airing this evening and onto Stand Up tomorrow.