What does 'plays like butter' mean?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5043
edited August 2013 in Guitar
Maybe it's just me but why do people say their guitar 'plays like butter', as if that supposed to mean something? I mean, I know what they're trying to say but why butter, and since when did the yellow greasy stuff you spread on toast have anything to do with the playability of a guitar? Always makes me laugh when I see that in a for sale thread. Maybe next time I sell a guitar I'll try 'plays like cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil' and see where that gets me...
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yep. quite agree..

"Killer axe, she plays like butter", doesn't really grab me either :)

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Totally agree it's a horrible phrase really puts me off whenever I read it.  I'm going to stop there though before I start including other phrases that bother me like rare being used for everything on ebay and gumtree these days.
  • bntylrbntylr Frets: 8
    edited August 2013
    I guess it's meant to imply that the guitar is easy to play? I've never played butter myself though so I can't comment on the matter. :D
    Someone having "butter fingers" means they'll often let stuff slip through their hands. Must have come from something like that.

I'm sure it was a phrase that was often frowned upon back on ye ol' MR.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5043
    Adam_MD said:
    Totally agree it's a horrible phrase really puts me off whenever I read it.  I'm going to stop there though before I start including other phrases that bother me like rare being used for everything on ebay and gumtree these days.

Quite agree. Sellers often say 'rare' when what they actually mean is 'these were so undesirable that hardly anyone bought one'!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    bntylr said:
    I guess it's meant to imply that the guitar is easy to play? I've never played butter myself though so I can't comment on the matter. :D
    Someone having "butter fingers" means they'll often let stuff slip through their hands. Must have come from something like that.

I'm sure it was a phrase that was often frowned upon back on ye ol' MR.
    I think that the expression comes from "Spreads like butter".  Some chump could have easily enough said "Plays like it says on the can".
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I always take it to mean it plays fast and easily, like the neck has been greased with... you guessed it, butter.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    It means I instantly have no interest in the guitar being sold.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
    tFB Trader
    It means you've spent too long on TGP.
  • Bucket said:
    I always take it to mean it plays fast and easily, like the neck has been greased with... you guessed it, butter.
    Why? What you said isn't "Plays like butter." so much as "Plays like it's been greased with butter.", a practice that I've never entertained.  It can't be good for a neck that has been sanded down.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    what it actually means in real life is that the setup is decent, and it has 9s on it :D

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10454
    tFB Trader
    Plays like it was previously handled by Richard Madeley?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Plays like it was previously handled by Richard Madeley?
    Shit I knew I shouldn't have had a late lunch, I think I'll go lie down and try and think of something else.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    It means you've spent too long on TGP.
    LOL +1
  • jimboflojojimboflojo Frets: 122
    I believe plays like butter comes from the late great guitarist B. Utter, famous for his crazy fast playing style and for being able to slide across the stage on his knees from one side to the other- as if the stage itself was butterlike. Plus he had a killer axe, which was very rare.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    "Last tango in Paris"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Allow me to explain. Butter is quite slippery - greasy if you will. A guitar that has a neck that plays like butter means it has a fast neck and is silky smooth to transition around the neck. If someone does not buy a guitar on the basis it has been described as playing like butter. I fear you may be missing out on a technicality!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited August 2013
    I wouldn't want a neck that feels slippery even if I could stand the phrase, so I doubt I'm missing anything. It just puts me right off the seller anyway - calling a guitar "she" or an "axe" in an ad is almost as bad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    "This new butter is sooooooo smooth, it spreads like you are playing yngwiesque arps with speed fluidity and precision"

Hmmmnn ....... doesn't quite work the other way around.
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Suggests to me a list of sellers phrases like the estate agents spiels could be compiled 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Unless you've played a perfectly set up guitar, I'm not sure you'll ever understand what "Plays Like Buttah" refers to.

Smooth fretboard, perfectly dressed and polished frets, non-sticky neck .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback