Why is it that some guitars (regardless of cost/value) just feel "right"?

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
edited May 2015 in Guitar
As a number of you will know, I have a LOT of guitars, but my current squeeze is this:

Judging by the logo and hardware, it's earlier than Trevor Wilkinson's involvement and must be worth at least half a Groat - it certainly cost me peanuts.

Can't put it down - neck profile fits my hand like a glove and (feel-wise) I much prefer it to my Gibson SG's. I'd buy another one in an instant.

Does need some better pickups though...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Know what you mean. I always preferred my Epi SG to my Gibson Standard. I've got a Vintage V120 Jr which is a phenomenal guitar for the money and feels great to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    I would hate anything to happen to this, because it really does feel that good. Problem is, I've not seen another (identical model) for sale in ages.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    It just feels right because it feels just right. It suits you. Names n logos doesn't come into it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    stuagu said:
    Names n logos doesn't come into it.
    Couldn't agree more. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015

TTony said:
    Problem is, I've not seen another (identical model) for sale in ages.
    And even if you did find an - apparently - identical model, there's no guarantee that it'd work as well for you. .  
    'Tis true - but I've never played another (only more recent versions), so I'd be interested in finding out! :)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27650
    Problem is, I've not seen another (identical model) for sale in ages.
    And even if you did find an - apparently - identical model, there's no guarantee that it'd work as well for you.  How it's set up, the amount of fret & fretboard wear, even the smell of the guitar (and lots more) are all factors that combine to make the guitar work, or not, for the player.  

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited May 2015
    @TTony is right. I had one of these too, stupidly sold it... Found an "identical" that felt totally wrong. That's how I now define a "keeper"- a guitar that just feels right, regardless of brand or price tag. My Vintage V100 Lemon Drop is in that category: I've played all manner of Les Paul's, but this one fits me like a glove so it stays.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Because you're judging it by its physical properties rather than its visual properties and brand association. A Gibson must be better than a "brand x" because it's a Gibson, brand loyalty and perception of that brand have influenced you before you realise it.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    And so many feel so wrong.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Sometimes it might just be a bad set up (high action being the worst) or VERY rusty strings. How are you meant to tell if it's the first for you if it's not set up to a good standard.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I had two of these. Gave the better playing one away to a school. It just had more voice and feel.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I've got a Vintage V6 strat and it's my fave guitar by a mile. Lovely neck.
    And putting new pickups in it shouldn't be held against it - plenty of people on here seem to buy high end guitars and immediately strip everything out, pots, electrics, etc. Which of course begs the question... Why if you were that unhappy with it did you buy it for that much money?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015

Which of course begs the question... Why if you were that unhappy with it did you buy it for that much money?!

Who said anything about being unhappy? And it did indeed cost next-to-nothing. :)

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3923
    It just goes to prove that you don't have to spend big bucks in order to own a guitar that you're happy with and can even go as far as to bond with if it really is that good (won't use the M word). Took me years to realise, spending lots of dosh in the process.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    This guy (Andrew Pipe of The Mentulls) has played Vintage guitars for years and gets super tone from them

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I had an epiphone g400 that absolutely slaughtered the 3 Gibson Sg's I had, stupidly I sold it for 100quid.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    edited May 2015

Which of course begs the question... Why if you were that unhappy with it did you buy it for that much money?! That wasn't directed at you - what I meant was it's entirely reasonable to tweak a cheaper guitar to make it better when people spend thousands on top end stuff and do the same!

Who said anything about being unhappy? And it did indeed cost next-to-nothing. :)

Ah, I see! :)

• FezFez Frets: 529
    Put some hand wound UK made pick ups in it FTW
    Don't touch that dial.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    edited May 2015
    It's also personal to an extent I reckon - one man's keeper can be another man's dog. I'll bet if you put a dozen guitarists in a room with a CV Strat that the owner felt was 'better than CS', not many of them would agree with that. And I wouldn't on principle, which just goes to show how personal bias can come into the equation, whether you recognise you're doing it (as I do!) or not. :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/