Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

And now wampler have done it........

What's Hot

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Slightly disappointed that they've done this. Bit late to be honest as the whole Klon thing was killed quite successfully by the Soul Food. 

That said, some of the first Wamplers were Tube Screamers ;) But he is a proper innovator in the field and comes up with some great original stuff.

Cabicular said:
    ThorpyFX;52154" said:
    I'll probably buy your one once you have finished researching it ;)

There's nothing to research, it's all been done to death. We know all there is to know about the circuit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It makes comment #70 seems quite odd in retrospect - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/770621-send-klons-3.html

"A new issue and argument arose for me when I was arguing the CLONE squeezing of the Klon circuit into a small enclosure and altering components.
    Brian Wampler recently commented that in his discussion with other builders one often overlooked variable of circuit design is the layout. If you just move everything around and squeeze it down often using different same type components and makes, you simply do not have the same circuit. It might sound fine but it is inherently different.

Many of these KLON clones may sound fine and indeed I have seen very unlike circuit pedals sound like a Klon on some settings, but, it is not exact, and it is not an identical mimic of said horse. "

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7421
    Robert Keeley is an innovator

Zachary Vex is an innovator

Dan at Gigrig is an innovator

Thorpy is an innovator

Wampler's marketing ability exceeds his engineering ability. imo.  

Red ones are better. 
  • I am a piss artist. My PR ability exceeds my engineering ability, my ability to form stable nurturing relationships, and my ability on Guitar Hero 3. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015

It makes comment #70 seems quite odd in retrospect - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/770621-send-klons-3.html

"A new issue and argument arose for me when I was arguing the CLONE squeezing of the Klon circuit into a small enclosure and altering components.
    Brian Wampler recently commented that in his discussion with other builders one often overlooked variable of circuit design is the layout. If you just move everything around and squeeze it down often using different same type components and makes, you simply do not have the same circuit. It might sound fine but it is inherently different.

Many of these KLON clones may sound fine and indeed I have seen very unlike circuit pedals sound like a Klon on some settings, but, it is not exact, and it is not an identical mimic of said horse. "

Disagree. There is a Klon science thread on Madbean where a guy took some klone boards into a lab and made recordable, repeatable results. One question was, does layout make a difference even when the schematic it's based on is identical? To test this one he had a load of boards, fully socketted, and one set of components, therefore ruling out parts tolerances. Moving parts between the boards made little to no difference in nearly all cases.

Also, FWIW, getting a Klone into a 1590A (mooer) enclosure was done eons ago, so downsizing the thing again is hardly anything new.

TimmyO said:

Disagree with this. Brian Wampler has turned out some great circuits in his time. To call his designs into question because of a couple of clones can be levelled at every effects builder there has ever been.

Marketing is a regrettable part of the game that you have to embrace to a degree if you want to sell pedals. Some are ninjas at it (Bill Finnegan. Say what you will about the man, the hype machine he started is unprecedented) some are the most brazen bullshitters ever (JHS/Lovepedal), some tell you exactly what you're getting (Skreddy/DAM). But all have to embrace this side of the business to make it a business.

Fuck it, if Wampler want to turn out some Klones, that's their prerogative. EHX have done it and no-one bitched about that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    I couldn't care less if wampler are doing a clone, I'm more surprised as he usually did some sort of mod/change etc spa. Straight clone seems out of character. I don't want to do a straight Klone- there is loads that can be done to taut circuit to improve it without cloning it 100%
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    juansolo;803050" said:
    TimmyO said:

Disagree with this. Brian Wampler has turned out some great circuits in his time. To call his designs into question because of a couple of clones can be levelled at every effects builder there has ever been.

Marketing is a regrettable part of the game that you have to embrace to a degree if you want to sell pedals. Some are ninjas at it (Bill Finnegan. Say what you will about the man, the hype machine he started is unprecedented) some are the most brazen bullshitters ever (JHS/Lovepedal), some tell you exactly what you're getting (Skreddy/DAM). But all have to embrace this side of the business to make it a business.

Fuck it, if Wampler want to turn out some Klones, that's their prerogative. EHX have done it and no-one bitched about that.
    I think Bill Finnegan may have been a Ninja way back when but has he not completly fucked up the second coming of the Klon, hence why the only reason there are so many almost exact copies out there, a lot at high prices, is that making it available to meet demand was somehow beyond him. You can be a marketing genius but unless the item is available to buy it doesn't mean much.
    ThorpyFX said:
    I couldn't care less if wampler are doing a clone, I'm more surprised as he usually did some sort of mod/change etc spa. Straight clone seems out of character. I don't want to do a straight Klone- there is loads that can be done to taut circuit to improve it without cloning it 100%
    Yep, with you there. Actually I don't have a Klone I have a Madbean Kingslayer which makes far more sense to me (runs at -/+9v throughout the circuit, sorts out some odd clipping options and generally just sounds better). IDA have a bass version that does some similar things and sounds staggeringly good with bass (insta-Lemmy). Both have taken the idea and refined it. There's a lot that can be done with it as it goes about some things in some very odd ways (intentionally clipping the first op-amp for example).
  • the_jaffa;802899" said:
    thecolourbox said:

Wasn't Tumnus a faun not a centaur?

Indeed he was but if you read their description it explains the thinking behind the name:

"Let’s face it, not everyone has room for a four-legged beast on their board. This slender biped slips in and out of a myriad of tight situations"
    Well that's clarified that then
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2015
    dindude said:
    juansolo;803050" said:
    TimmyO said:

I think Bill Finnegan may have been a Ninja way back when but has he not completly fucked up the second coming of the Klon, hence why the only reason there are so many almost exact copies out there, a lot at high prices, is that making it available to meet demand was somehow beyond him. You can be a marketing genius but unless the item is available to buy it doesn't mean much.
    Yep, that he totally failed to exploit the rabid market he created was his problem. But the marketing side he nailed. Being a pedal manufacturer is multi-discipline though. You need marketing, manufacturing and design skills if you're doing it alone. It's actually rare for someone to possess all three in equal measure.
  • He was one of the ones who shouted very loudly at JHS for his horsey clone..iirc which basically led to JHS stopping production of a very popular pedal... not impressed. Though my memory could he wrong about this.
    Nope, wasn't me, at least not that I recall. That was a bunch of the Tgp crowd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Well, here's the story though - many of our customers were asking us to make a straight up Klone type of circuit. I resisted doing it for a long time. The improvement was putting it in a super small box. If I put it in a larger box I would've added a bunch of switches and knobs and such.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    WamplerPedals;803156" said:
    Teetonetal said:

He was one of the ones who shouted very loudly at JHS for his horsey clone..iirc which basically led to JHS stopping production of a very popular pedal... not impressed. Though my memory could he wrong about this.

Ah then my apologies.. I will put an edit on my post :)

Welcome to the forum BTW.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27003
    He was one of the ones who shouted very loudly at JHS for his horsey clone..iirc which basically led to JHS stopping production of a very popular pedal... not impressed. Though my memory could he wrong about this.
    I have no idea who said what in this game, but just wanted to say "welcome!", assuming you are the real Wampler and not an internet-copy :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    dindude said:
    Phew, this pedal was definately needed. Everyone can relax now.

(In reality I think this is a symptom of seeing how successful JRAD have been with th Archer, they apparently sell shed loads of them, not to mention that the Ehx Soul Food was the best selling pedal of last year. Just good business sense then?).

I suppose alls fair in business, I'm just surprised wampler would do it.
    He started out nicking mods from other people's websites (right down to the images) and selling them in a pdf so I doubt he's averse to doing whatever creates the most money...
    This isn't true at all. Some schematics were used, but with permission unless they were in the PD. As far as doing mods "from other sites"... dude - distortion and overdrive circuits are electronics 101. To get more bass out of tubescreamer, for example, is going to be one or two things. That's not ripping anyone off, it's just how the circuit works.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • He was one of the ones who shouted very loudly at JHS for his horsey clone..iirc which basically led to JHS stopping production of a very popular pedal... not impressed. Though my memory could he wrong about this.
    I have no idea who said what in this game, but just wanted to say "welcome!", assuming you are the real Wampler and not an internet-copy :)
    It's most definitely me, Brian. If you get bored, hop on periscope today, we'll be doing live video from the LA amp show. :)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5166
    Welcome @wamplerpedals ...Burgs' Demo sounds great! :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6148
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Well, here's the story though - many of our customers were asking us to make a straight up Klone type of circuit. I resisted doing it for a long time. The improvement was putting it in a super small box. If I put it in a larger box I would've added a bunch of switches and knobs and such.

well that's the version I want to see you do! Welcome though, I hope you don't mind the intrigue!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • DaLefty returns with yet another new persona...

~:>

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom