James May and the Strat...

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    I enjoyed it.

I thought they glossed over the setup as the intonation and action would have been shot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    And the pots were pre-wired ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Bit of a cop out having all the pots prewired like that, but was an interesting show.  I could just watch James May sat there waffling on about nothing for hours, no idea why.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4195
    On vintage fender slotted headstock so always take the length of the string as the machinehead plus 2, therefore the low E would be cut just after the D string, this imho gives the correct number of turns on the post
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • That was a definite "not waste" of half an hour. Reminded me of my first excursions into modding as a teenager.

Take it to bits and see if you can put it back again.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72567
    richardhomer said:

[quote=ICBM](just back from band practice), but I'll iPlayer it.
    'Rehearsal' :) [/quote]
    You may be right. Practice makes perfect, which is something that could never be said about my bass playing ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I fell asleep half way through.
    Funnily enough that didn't happen on the lawnmower one
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5067
    sweepy said:
    On vintage fender slotted headstock so always take the length of the string as the machinehead plus 2, therefore the low E would be cut just after the D string, this imho gives the correct number of turns on the post
    I'm not sure about this. IMO you hardly need any turns on the bottom E, A and D (1-2 max), you need a good few on the top E and B, and on a Tele with a single string tree you want as many turns as possible on the G to give the maximum break angle. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I enjoyed the bit about Japanese screwdrivers and the stuff about third intervals. Being a bit of a MIJ geek I appreciated the choice of axe too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72567
    He used an axe?

I'm pretty sure you don't need one to assemble a Strat, unless you're starting from a tree.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MickMick Frets: 98

Haven't seen the Strat one yet, will do on catchup. 

The Suffolk Colt one made me chuckle a bit though, "the first thing we fit to the engine is the valves" erm, no you don't.  Fit all the internals to the engine then fit the valves, otherwise you can't set the tappets which entails grinding a tad off the bottom of the valve stems. Or if too tight cutting seats and or lapping in.

Then again it was about reassembling, and not servicing and replacing with new parts, so I guess putting components back in the exact place they were originally located should work well enough.

• westwest Frets: 996
    well the strat one rendered me all asmr very relaxing zzzzzz  ...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12933
    I watched five minutes of it. It was even more dull than I thought it would be.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I enjoyed all three. I remember disassembling one of the Bakelite phones in my youth, and I had to work out how to correctly set up the clutch mechanism on an electric version of the Suffolk lawnmower we inherited when my wife and I got our first house and it goes without saying that I've done the odd Strat or five too. 
    I also used to have one of the split screwdrivers :) 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    I missed the lawnmower one but enjoyed the other two. A few cop outs and shortcuts but that's understandable for a TV program I guess. You would have thought that someone would have told James May about the dandruff all over his jumper though.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    The only interesting bit was where the camerawoman knocked over the lid of his toolbox
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 746
    Lawnmower was my fav...........
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    GazLion;1029559" said:
    The only interesting bit was where the camerawoman knocked over the lid of his toolbox
    To be fair, if you already know how to put a Strat together, it isn't ever going to be that riveting a program. I do find him funny though and he's obviously passionate about the work he was doing, so it was still worth watching IMO. I liked the odd snippets of geeky info he came out with too, like the Jap spec screws and the stuff about screwdrivers.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    It was the first one of these that I caught - I thought it was a great programme - I think James May is excellent at presenting things like this. I feel he's a man after my own heart. The number of things that got disassembled when I was a child on my mum's living room floor, or in the garden, just to see how they worked... It's like that, but televised and in reverse.

What was the amp? It looked very nice.